Faceting Machine

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Mackka.

This is one of the pics from Gumtree. I took a few pics after cleaning it up and getting rid of the rubber band etc and it seems to work very well, just a spring missing where the rubber band is. My pics are too big for the forum and I don't know how to reduce them.
Time will tell.
Cheers Badge.

1641866731_s-l800.jpg

1641866902_s-l800_2.jpg

You've done well Badge, this I believe is the earlier GFE3, the later one had the vertical adjustment on the head not the base of the mast. Gemcuts in Ballina are the Gemmasta manufacturers now and may be able to help you with spares.

It's worth checking the bearings on the lap spindle, they wear and get grit inside over time, they're sealed bearing and readily available from any bearing supplier, once these are done, the machine should purr and you'll have a lot of fun learning our art.

Dihusky said:
You've done well Badge, this I believe is the earlier GFE3, the later one had the vertical adjustment on the head not the base of the mast. Gemcuts in Ballina are the Gemmasta manufacturers now and may be able to help you with spares.

It's worth checking the bearings on the lap spindle, they wear and get grit inside over time, they're sealed bearing and readily available from any bearing supplier, once these are done, the machine should purr and you'll have a lot of fun learning our art.

Thanks for the info and advice.
Yes this is certainly the earlier version, in fact I can't even find any information on them on the internet.
I'll contact Gemcuts at Ballina and try to track down a PDF of the manual. I just purchased a little over $130 of Gemcuts website too, they have some cool gear.
I spent about 5 hours today testing the machine out with a makeshift water supply and did get some (to my untrained eye) half decent facets on gemstone that was full of inclusions. I've now got the taste so in for the long haul.
Cheers,
Badge.

Best material to play with is stuff like quartz jellybeans, cheap and readily available, but really good to develop your polishing skills, another fun material is glass marbles, they can produce some amazing results.

The most important item to buy is a quality 10x magnifier, most professional and serious facetors use this one: https://www.pilbarageology.com.au/products/Belomo-10x-Triplet,-Hand-Lens-{47}-Loupe.html Not cheap but exceptional optics and when one compares to another type of 10x the difference is staggering :eek: and you quickly realise how poor the cheapies are. :awful:

I do have a 10x magnifier Dihusky. Not as good as that one but may upgrade later.
I'm waiting on a head loupe/magnifier from Gemcuts. I think that will make life easier.
Still looking for a PDF of the manual for the Gemmasta. I think the lap needs calibrating and I'm not game to pull things apart without some type of schematics so I can get it all back together again.
Cheers.
Badge.

Badge said:
I do have a 10x magnifier Dihusky. Not as good as that one but may upgrade later.
I'm waiting on a head loupe/magnifier from Gemcuts. I think that will make life easier.
Still looking for a PDF of the manual for the Gemmasta. I think the lap needs calibrating and I'm not game to pull things apart without some type of schematics so I can get it all back together again.
Cheers.
Badge.

If you're in south east QLD, I may be able to help as I service machines. If that's feasible PM me.

Thanks for the offer. I live in the North Burnett region so a few hours away but I do get down that way from time to time. I'll send you a PM next time around.
Thanks again.
Badge.

Latest posts