12 volt fridge on a solar setup

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm looking at a fixed panel/s that I make a stand for or a folding glass panel at this stage.

A 135 W fixed is approx 8 kg, a 140 W folding is 11.6 kg. Most folding panels come with a PWM controller and need a bypass, which I wouldn't use anyway. I've looked at a particular brand and the folding is twice the price.

I can't see 3.6 kg in hardware weight for legs, so I think I can do it in Ally for less weight.

Transport not an issue as whatever I get can go in the van until deployed. Although a similar size flexible is only 2kg, it would need more support to act as a standalone. Plus. I can't get past the 5 year (max I've found) warranty of flexible compared to 10/25 for a fixed I can use as a portable.

condor22 said:
I'm looking at a fixed panel/s that I make a stand for or a folding glass panel at this stage.

A 135 W fixed is approx 8 kg, a 140 W folding is 11.6 kg. Most folding panels come with a PWM controller and need a bypass, which I wouldn't use anyway. I've looked at a particular brand and the folding is twice the price.

I can't see 3.6 kg in hardware weight for legs, so I think I can do it in Ally for less weight.

Transport not an issue as whatever I get can go in the van until deployed. Although a similar size flexible is only 2kg, it would need more support to act as a standalone. Plus. I can't get past the 5 year (max I've found) warranty of flexible compared to 10/25 for a fixed I can use as a portable.

Now I have this 1800w doodad I am thinking of using Stainless Hinges and joining 2 or 3 of those 150's together Each one measures 135cm X 70cm, By using those hinges it will keep them together in one lump and being one piece it will give them some regidity, :Y:

I'm looking at 2 x 100 W to 160 W, haven't decided yet. Their weight range is 7.5kg to 11.25kg. Not gonna join them as 15-22.5 kg is not a weight I want to handle through the door of a caravan.

The other aspect is that when detecting I'm not at the van, so I can leave one facing NNE and another NNW. Chained to the van to keep the "honest" people out their honest, lol.

I haven't done an ATM weigh yet, so no decision necessary yet. If too close that will be the only reason for going flexible. :)

Interesting observation re temperature.

I have several fridge temp gauges 1. My original wired Engel probe gauge, 2. An Ironman wireless gauge (used in my old 30lt Engel) and 3. An Engel wireless gauge, which I recently purchased.

The Engel 40 lt combi is set to 3 C, divider removed and as a fridge only. Being used as a drinks fridge on 240 VAC at the moment indoors.

The Engel and Ironman transmitters are next to each other and the wired probe within a couple of centimeters of them. Here are the temps;

Fridge set to 3 C (Stated as a guide only)
Engel Wireless 3.2 C (Range over the last 24 hours is 3.1 to 3.2)
Ironman Wireless 2.7 C (No max/min as only ambient and fridge are recorded)
Engel wired probe 0.8 C (Range over 24 hours -1.8 C to 0.8 C)

I would think the Engel wireless is the more accurate as that is the set temp of the fridge. The old wired probe looks like retirement is on the cards and the Ironman is pretty basic and reading low.