Arno security cameras

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nightjar

Contributor Plus
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is not directly prospecting, but have set up two Arlo Ultra2 spotlight cameras to keep an eye on our home while away in 2022.
Problem;
Have the cameras up and running, the batteries are supposed to last up to 6 months before a recharge, they lasted three days?
Have spent 2 hrs on the phone to the Arno Australia help line (needed help to understand their Asian voices.)
The settings they advised, as mentioned chewed up the batteries.
I have one camera covering the front of the house and one for the back.
Does any of the tech gurus on here have or know anyone who has info on how to set them up for basic home use?
www.arlo.com/support

yep we have been there and done that, same as what you have found the batteries go flat in no time.

We ended up ditching those and got these.

They still have batteries but also a small solar panel and they have never gone flat even in cloudy weather, and have had then for a couple of years now. front and back of house.

Can control from mobile phone and view video footage while away camping etc, they work very well.

https://www.secureyourworld.com.au/...47bMlEe40VqDJXGD53yEmBK8V71aErysaApaHEALw_wcB

Hi Nightjar, I am no tech guru, but have 'eufy security' a camera covering front of house and carport, two cameras probably a similar set up to Arlo.
Eufy say six months on the battery, and I believe it, on the settings I'm running, don't know when the batteries were charged last and are half charged now, will charge soon before we go away.

Eufy have a home mode and an away mode, I use the away mode as my night mode switching to this when going to bed. Then switching back to home mode in the morning so in home mode there are no alarms set (disarmed) when at home and moving about (not using battery up)

In away mode I have Record video, Push Notification and Home Base Alarm set, so when away we should get the same battery life with no one moving about the house and using up battery.

Hope this all makes sense and helps you a bit.

Cheers Pro-oz

Thanks Pro-Oz re (Eufy say six months on the battery,)

They say the removable one ( in their Specs)is 12 months and the Fixed 6 months I will need the fixed for outside front, removable inside.

Do you have the fixed or removeable?

Peter

PeterInSa said:
Thanks Pro-Oz re (Eufy say six months on the battery,)

They say the removable one ( in their Specs)is 12 months and the Fixed 6 months I will need the fixed for outside front, removable inside.

Do you have the fixed or removeable?

Peter

Don't quit follow. the batteries are fixed inside the 2 x cameras out side, the base station inside is powered and also connected to the modem.

I have this one. EUFYCAM 2C
WIRE-FREE HD SECURITY CAMERA SET
The one that davesgold put up looks pretty good at a quick glance.
Cheers

Maybe look at getting a couple of these NJ?
https://www.arlo.com/en-au/accessories/VMA5600-20000S.html

I've got 2 x Reolink Argus2 & 2 x Argus3 (spotlight version) running on solar panels & like Dave says they are great :Y:. Always 100% even with all the rain we've had lately & no battery issues or need for recharging over a few years now.

The Arlo camera's look & sound pretty similar in specs etc. so should be ok especially on the solar panels. Set & forget.
If they still are draining the battery I'd think they're DOA batteries?

With settings I have an "At home" mode that silently records on all movement activation (SD card internal & cloud storage), night time spotlight activates on the Argus3's & alert to mobile for front door only.
My "Away from home" mode is the same but mobile alerts are turned on for all cameras & alarms set for front + back doors.

We have the latest version Eufy set of 4 and it is an awesome set up.
I am going to add a 2k camera in a strategic position to capture close up detail if required.
The 1080p is good, but not 'that' good.

We have ours set to Geofence, so it knows when we are home, so records human activity, but doesn't push.
At night, it records all activity but doesn't push.

Moving away from home, the geofence works that out and turns on push notifications with the same settings.
The AI will try to work out humans and tag them. It's not fool proof, but it's a darn good system!

I'm going to get a few panels for them because after maybe 2 weeks of being installed and 589+ notifications, the batteries are down to around 90%.

1638790231_screenshot_20211206-212753_eufysecurity42911.jpg

( if you get AAs that will run your camera for 200 photos or more you will get a really good run out of them, and they won't drop out till they're dead).
We used to use these from Big W, but they stopped stocking them(probly toooo good).
1638794780_1422410017_sam_8769.jpg

So now we get a different brand from bunnings... just under $10 for 30 batteries(same type of quality)
Some batteries used to only give us three photos in the camera before they would die, so I searched for the best cheapest ones I could find.(VARTA).shhhh.... don't tell anyone, or there'll be none left. :p

After hour or so with Arlo Australia (Asia somewhere) the cameras now do not record at all?
All I now get is; "Very sorry, we help we help Mr Peter"
Have found an on line comprehensive manual will work through that and see if I can resurrect reponse.
At least the batteries are sitting 95%.?

Thanks Dave,
This is a better deal $89, Arlo sell them for $119.
Batteries aren't the problem at the moment, can activate cameras live but they don't respond to motion and record to library?
Very frustrating and difficult to set up.
Still haven't read the full 79 page manual.
Also Arlo Australia want me to call them back. (Will do when I have a couple of hours to spare) ;)

Nightjar said:
After hour or so with Arlo Australia (Asia somewhere) the cameras now do not record at all?
All I now get is; "Very sorry, we help we help Mr Peter"
Have found an on line comprehensive manual will work through that and see if I can resurrect reponse.
At least the batteries are sitting 95%.?

How to fill in your day. Frustrating! hope you get it sorted.

Had another play this morning.
Went shopping and pulled back into garage. Walked down the drive to check letter box.
Went inside and checked library.
Didn't record me driving out or back into garage but it did record me walking to letterbox?
Talk about frustrating.
Will keep plugging away, not going to give up.

Flicking through photos from yesteryear and found the makings of our bush camp generator.
Bought a Yamaha 3kva for $50.00. It had run out of oil and suffered severe damage.
After a search found a crankshaft and big end bearing, new rings and a few other requirements.
The alternator was to be bolted directly to end of crankshaft.
The taper was 10mm to long and the thread in shaft was 10mm and required 12mm.
Machined taper and tapped required thread.
Reassembled and has run trouble free at our camp for past 15 years.
This year it will have to come home for another overhaul, the timing appears to have slipped and "she's smoking" very badly.

Crankshaft destroyed.
1641513665_yanmar3kva.jpg

Finished project.
1641513665_yanmar3kva2.jpg

1641513665_yanmar3kva3.jpg

In years gone by, a crank like that could be re-ground and there were people who'd make new white-metal bearings, sadly many of those skills are gone. That said, 15 yrs is not bad going for a $50 unit. :)

Dihusky said:
In years gone by, a crank like that could be re-ground and there were people who'd make new white-metal bearings, sadly many of those skills are gone. That said, 15 yrs is not bad going for a $50 unit. :)

Yes Dihusky,
During my fitting & turning days ground a few crank shafts.
The white metal bearings we forged and then machined were mainly for crayfishing boat prop shafts.

Nightjar said:
Talk about frustrating.
Will keep plugging away, not going to give up.
Hadn't posted an update on the Arlo cameras before changing subjects. :lol:
After many frustrating hours they are working perfectly. Also have two solar panels winging their way here, that will alleviate removing cameras for a recharge.

Nightjar said:
Dihusky said:

Yes Dihusky,
During my fitting & turning days ground a few crank shafts.
The white metal bearings we forged and then machined were mainly for crayfishing boat prop shafts.

My (old school railway) apprenticeship, had an inordinate amount of scraping. We scraped white metal bearings, to suit axles & crankshafts. We scraped air brake components to make air-tight slide valves. We scraped our surface plates to be perfectly flat, so we could use them as masters for scraping other stuff. We even scraped cross-hatching patterns onto the sides and faces of machinist vices etc that we made, simply as decorative finishes.

As a fitter & machinist, if something broke, you were expected to fix it. Whatever needed replacing, you made new from scratch. Crankshafts would be re-ground if possible. If too damaged, wed give them a skim to remove the worst damage, respray them with new metal (metal-spraying seems to have gone the way of scraping) and then wed regrind them.

Not being able to rebuild something, was a real embarrassment.

This is where I segue into another long-winded, grandpa Simpson story

davsgold said:
yep we have been there and done that, same as what you have found the batteries go flat in no time.

We ended up ditching those and got these.

They still have batteries but also a small solar panel and they have never gone flat even in cloudy weather, and have had then for a couple of years now. front and back of house.

Can control from mobile phone and view video footage while away camping etc, they work very well.

https://www.secureyourworld.com.au/...47bMlEe40VqDJXGD53yEmBK8V71aErysaApaHEALw_wcB

these Argus seem pretty good, think I'll grab a few. Currently using hunting infrared cameras which do the trick but they don't have the remote visual ability.

Just one question, whats the cost for the sim card per month for say 2 or 3 cameras?