New boat Project

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rustyhooks

Russell
Reaction score
Hi thought i would Post about my new boat project, which started earlier last year, just a little bit about my boating history as this is my 24th boat, since getting my first in 1976 which was a Stejcraft, along the way i have had four commercial boats and was a commercial Barramundi fisherman in the eighties early ninetys based in the Pilbara.
The current boat was built for commercail use in the mid eghties and was fished in the midwest region Handlining for Dhue fish, snapper etc, it is a 6.5m Trailcraft Plate hull, 6mm bottom and 5mm sides, it had a Volvo 4 Cylinder engine Suitable only as mooring as it was seized, cuddy cab, on a dual Trailer , it has now been completely bead blasted and acided, i had a pod built for the stern and have purchased a second hand 200 hp mercury for it, whn removing the foam flotaion from under the floor i found a few pin holes from old mig wire and a accumilation of debris in each comaprtment, after wire brushing and vacuuming i decided to buy a new mig welder (Viper Muti Function unit) as some of the further cutting and modifying i am doing would cost me around another 2-3k and considering what i have spent to date on new Simrad Plotter sounder, new safety Gear (offshore flares, 5 inflateable life vests, Eprib, Hydraulic Steering, Trailer mods and the pod ($4200) , new Vhf Radio, new Marine 27meg Radio, new stainless Rod holders, new Fuel Tank (210L) New navigation lights, larger wheels (14" as opposed to the 13s) some new gauges new wiring harness, paint all 2 pak, Jotun High build 2 pak etch primer, and the colours of urethane black for the sides and cream interiour, plus Kiwi Grip for the deck) i have spent quite a lot but to replace the boat with something similar would cost me around $50k, i will supply some pics as it progress's, just thought i would post something different in these testing times plus with the advent of summer and no detecting etc i thought what the hell
1641252296_boat_03.jpg

Update on the boat project i had some outragous prices to finish the welding locally ranging from $2000 plus to $3000 plus including consumables, now seeing as i did all the cutting and marking out plus the new aluminium, i bit the bullitt and bought a Unimig Viper multi function welder and loads of consumables including the tig welding package total cost of $1499.00 so now i dont have to worry about getting someone else to do the easy stuff.
Here are some photos of up to date and tomorrow morning i will drag the back end into the shed and start mig welding up all the bibs and bobs etc.
In order the first couple are of the outboard engine pod done in Perth the guy did a excellent job and would recomend him all day.
1641444751_big_boat_01.jpg
1641444769_big_boat_02.jpg
1641444781_big_boat_03.jpg
1641444797_big_boat_04.jpg

The next are the fuel tank cover now recessed and drilled and tapped for stainless 3/16" unc counter sunk screws.
1641444864_big_boat_05.jpg
1641444872_big_boat_06.jpg

the next ones are of the new checker plate dash as the old one had to many old holes that non of my new stuff fitted.
1641444935_big_boat_07.jpg

the next 4 are of the stern area as i cut the old engine box off and will hinge the old lid, i also made up a stern brace as the old stern had no safety edge on it, the two rod holders are for the extra over size bait board i fabricated to fit in
1641445078_big_boat_08.jpg
1641445088_big_boat_09.jpg
1641445100_big_boat_010.jpg
1641445110_big_boat_011.jpg

the last one is looking forward man thats a lot of deck space now and its uncluttered so i am a lot happier now just a day or so of welding then re-acid the whole lot and hit it with etch primer then top coats cant waite. :Y:

Mate she's coming along.. looks like a bass platform with plenty of room to fish. Not sure about the steering hight tho..

Skip said:
Mate she's coming along.. looks like a bass platform with plenty of room to fish. Not sure about the steering hight tho..

nice job there.. but I do agree with Skip. Maybe knock a little tiered console up to go on top of the existing helm

something like this..

1641545380_raised_helm.jpg

Ideally you want to be comfortable standing up at the helm, particularly if going offshore otherwise say goodbye to your back

Well here i am back again after all the welding and cutting plus sanding and grinding at long last i did a final acid wash (Alibrite) and have now Hit the sides and the interiour with Jotun high build one shot 2 pack etch primer, i am now off to Widgemooltha area for a long awaited detect for few days as the weather has cooled of to mid 20s, plus the undercoat is better to harden for at least 48 hrs, these are the undercoated pics and i will post more when the colour goes on plus the fitout as i now have everything accessory wise.
1643597353_undercoat_05.jpg
1643597389_undercoat_01.jpg
1643597415_undercoat_05.jpg

Progress report: F
1644184929_boat_paint_01.jpg
irst coat of Jotun 2 pack in black to all of the sides, it will need a light rub back with some 200 wet and dry then a final coat and mask up, then i will do the insides in 2 pack cream, after that we are applying Kiwi Coat to the floor and bow area.
1644184950_boat_paint_03.jpg
1644184980_boat_paint_05.jpg

Update on the boat, inside painted three coats of Northane Pearl white and unmasked, now for the refit, checker plate dash and guages in plus hydraulic steering today and if light permits seat pedestals and seats, tomorrow wiring loom and cray winch and tipper, plus rod holders. (8)
Pics to follow.
1645221825_boat_04_1.jpg
1645221839_boat_05.jpg
1645221852_boat_07_1.jpg
1645221867_boat_08.jpg
1645221933_boat_09.jpg
1645221950_boat_011.jpg

Nice job mate. :Y:
I personally would be removing those bunk slides and putting on rollers or at.least put carpet over them.
That bottom paint will be tough but not that tough.
Especially on a boat that size. :Y:

Arrr i see now its not painted.
Never mind me :lol: :beer:

New update on the boat project, swivol seats now fitted, batery box welded into place in the old engine bed, sounder transducer fitted, vhf radio ariel fitted plus am/fm radio and speakers fitted, i had to order new gear and throttle cables as the ones supplied were to short by 1.5m man they are not cheap either, engine cushion plate drilled, i used thermoplastic sheet as its better than ply and the 200hp Mercury engine is now fitted to the transom, tomorrow i will be wiring the dash with a 12 volt feed from the batteries, also fitting a new col hersey switch in ther old engine bay, fitted a 12 volt capstan winch to the port side for winching my cray pots when the boat is finshed. Today the rain stopped all the work, all of the (9) rod holders now bolted down, man stainless screws and bolts are not cheap, i am hoping to try sea trials by next monday, fuel tank in tomorrow as well.
I had to extend the trailer by 1.5m as i found that once i winched the trailer forward to compensate for the additional length of the pod, the distance between the bow rail and the back of the DMax was too close so that cost me few extra a few days, i am really impressed with the new welder on stick mode, really flows very smoothly, i chopped the old front off the trailer and welded in 3.5m of 76mm x 5mm box section, also fitted a new pnuematic jockey wheel to the trailer i will post some more pics later this week as my scotch and ice is now calling and the news is on the telly, more to come

Attachments

• big boat 001.jpg
    big boat 001.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 0
  • big boat 002.jpg
    big boat 002.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 0
  • big boat 004.jpg
    big boat 004.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 0
  • big boat 005.jpg
    big boat 005.jpg