Pics Of Old Workings In My Area.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I was wondering what you all thing of these old workings in my area. I have detected the area but found nothing. No one has detected this area before me and I know a fair few of them like this in the area. Any help would be much appreciated or your thoughts on the pics.

1641382915_393d701c-beb3-4c20-a660-7acf8a927010.jpg

1641382916_f08be146-3cf4-47d1-bf0d-375c4d212629.jpg

1641382916_0fc826d3-2f10-4339-92cc-797543308279.jpg

1641382916_b4e19000-0113-495c-acb7-42ad0b6b3436.jpg

Looks like exploration trenching and they probably didn't find anything if there are no shafts in the area.

Those long trenches aren't all joined up are they? Which would make it a water course. In the second photo, there's what looks like red clay in the back ground which could be a surfaced area. That's where I'd be looking. wiley.

There is about 30 of these trenches there and there is a couple of old mine shafts about 50 meters away from them. There is a lot of laterite in the pics when you walk over about 20 meters on the other side there is calcrete iron stone and rusty quartz. Most of the land around this area bodes ironstone quarts and calcrete. My town area is littered with old mine shafts that have been filled in over the years.

wiley coyote said:
Those long trenches aren't all joined up are they? Which would make it a water course. In the second photo, there's what looks like red clay in the back ground which could be a surfaced area. That's where I'd be looking. wiley.
. They are hand dug mate they are not water courses. And they are not all joined up the longest trench is about 10m long.

The only way you are going to know is to detect the area. spend a few hours swinging your coil over the entire area , not just the diggings and see what pops out.
If you get nothing, move on , just like the blokes that dug there many years ago have done.
Nothing ventured , nothing gained.

Also get on the internet and do a bit of reseach about the area. If you know what is was known as in the day do a search on Trove and see what comes up.
Ive found a few areas that are not well known by searching Trove and have found a bit of gold there because the areas have been missed by the present authoriteis on prospecting, by that I mean people like Doug Stone and his ilk. They do a great job for the budding fossicker and prospector but if you want to find the gold that is not widley know you have to get into the research

Balmain Bob said:
The only way you are going to know is to detect the area. spend a few hours swinging your coil over the entire area , not just the diggings and see what pops out.
If you get nothing, move on , just like the blokes that dug there many years ago have done.
Nothing ventured , nothing gained.

Also get on the internet and do a bit of reseach about the area. If you know what is was known as in the day do a search on Trove and see what comes up.
Ive found a few areas that are not well known by searching Trove and have found a bit of gold there because the areas have been missed by the present authoriteis on prospecting, by that I mean people like Doug Stone and his ilk. They do a great job for the budding fossicker and prospector but if you want to find the gold that is not widley know you have to get into the research
I have detected the area very well and I also have done a lot of research on the area as well but I cannot find any info on this particular area. We do have gold mines here but they are hard rock mines. The only alluvial gold mine that was in my area (about 45ks from town was mt Drysdale) and there is no detecting allowed there due to being a historical landmark now. Ill just move on I think there are plenty of other places to try. Thanks for the input guys much appreciated. Buy the way I did find alot of buck shot enough to load a 12 gauge shell the gpx 6000 is very sensitive I dug up shot down to about two feet.

We got our 40e permit for an area east of Newman in WA that is littered with old mines. We struggled to find access because the old access roads were cut off by a big mining operation so once there we spent a lot of time working slopes and gullies and never raised a nugget. In the end we came across and old wash plant and the remains of an alluvial plant and managed a few tiny nuggets from a small flat area. I think all these mines were accessing an ore body and there was probably no alluvial gold to find.

Latest posts