Anyone got an opinion on the 2021 Hilux? Good? Bad?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love my Dmax 21 but the more modern diesels arent really the go to vehicles they used to be.

Not like the old Patrols/ Hilux/Troopy offerings where they would go forever and go just about anywhere.

Once Toyota and co started down the DPF path they really changed the trajectory of diesels forever. You just cant drive slow and idle endlessly. I know blokes fit the catch cans, not much good if the dealers refuse warranty with them fitted which has happened. But you know, climate change, emissions, and all that, so its a trend set to continue.

Anyway in response to the OP buying for resale Im not convinced its a reason Id get any car including a Hilux, and given some of the more recent issues Id be hoping theyve been resolved before outlay. Bloke I work for got a new Toyota, after seeing what he has been through over the last 3 years it would have to be a bloody good deal to hand over my cash, but his Mrs wont let him sell it.

On site its Dmax/BT or Rangers accounting for about 70% of the tradies rides at the moment.

For serious off road work, Camping, Prospecting and just every day duties on a work-site, stay away from Duel-cabs.... They bend.... The Quality of steel used now days is cheap Chinese crap... Plenty like these(read thousands) getting around on the 4x4 Forums... Have a google, you might be surprised at what's bending lately... :argh: And these bent ones are NOT covered under Warranty... Lots are having issues with the Dealers Steelers... Not worth the $$ IMO....

1641375781_26059994_1330662543706105_1937851311591677671_o.jpg

1641376217_bent-crusier.jpg

1641376784_83765_1__tn1000x800.jpg

LW...

LoneWolf said:
For serious off road work, stay away from Duel-cabs.... They bend.... The Quality of steel used now days is cheap Chinese crap... Plenty like these(read thousands) getting around on the 4x4 Forums... Have a google, you might be surprised at what's bending lately... :argh: And these bent ones are NOT covered under Warranty... Lots are having issues with the Dealers Steelers... Not worth the $$ IMO....

https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...94_1330662543706105_1937851311591677671_o.jpg

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/7355/1641376217_bent-crusier.jpg

Maybe warranty is warranted for the reason of overloading. They are some serious problems imo caused by the operator. Your right about them being built on the cheap, beefing up and strengthening costs plenty.

The last pic of all the Mitsubishi Tritons bent after having the Camper placed on the back WERE all done by Mitsubishi... So even the manufacturer says that their product can and will be up for the task.... Somehow i really doubt that....

beefing up and strengthening costs plenty. And is also Illegal in most states, with-out engineers approval... And if you can get approved, it will cost you some very big bucks...

LW

People spend thousands on lock up boxes and junk to hook on the back and even worse over length trays on dual cabs, I cannot understand why they don't spend another few thousand and move the rear axle back.
An engineer friend of mine was extending daul cab cruisers even toyota was sending people to him. It made them look tough as and like real work horses.

aussiefarmer said:
People spend thousands on lock up boxes and junk to hook on the back and even worse over length trays on dual cabs, I cannot understand why they don't spend another few thousand and move the rear axle back.
An engineer friend of mine was extending daul cab cruisers even toyota was sending people to him. It made them look tough as and like real work horses.
Can you get ahold of any pics?

I drove across the Simpson desert from Dalhousie to Birdsville and saw a few broken dual cabs of all makes and models . Having a Toyota or a mazda didnt make any difference as they all must be under engineered . Its very common .

You would think spending 50k+ on a new duel cab ute , you should be able to put more than a toolbox in the back.... Or more than a dozen bricks in the trailer with a towbar rating of over 2.5 ton... Pass thank-you..

LW...

Take out the vehicles fitted with air bags mounted to chassis points not designed to take load, the vehicles that have hit wash outs that drivers refuse to slow down for then the human factor of incorrect loading and massive over loading and the failure rate would drop considerably :( The pic of cruiser is a classic example, fit two spares which with carrier is probably over a 100kg in weight and fit it as far away from the rear axle as you possibly can. Then hang a two foot lever off the towbar so you can amplify the ball weight of the 3 tonne + that your towing off the scale and the owner stands scratching his head :rolleyes: I know why it bent and i ain't no rocket scientist :N:

1641416088_bent_cruiser.jpg

The common denominator of the bent utes appear to be the fitment of airbags.
Poor distribution of load also a contributer.

Redfin said:
The common denominator of the bent utes appear to be the fitment of airbags.
Poor distribution of load also a contributer.

Yep on a leaf spring rear you could give me a set free and I still wouldn't fit them. Coil suspension where bag mounts inside original suspension coil not so bad as your using the chassis point designed to take load.

They are an ok highway car for midgets however both the new hiluxs we have at work needed new steering racks and front
driveshafts/CVS at the first service and having top control arms fall out isnt uncommon.

Its got me stuffed why people buy them

Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond. Opinions are pretty much what I expected. Lots of thoughtful replies & shared experiences.
I appreciate everyone of them.

Latest posts