Heathcote Graytown National Park (Victoria) information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bob said:
Daniel 177
Heathcote is a good place to start. There is a lot of accessible state forest and reserves on the west side of town. You can also go detecting and fossicking in the Heathcote-Graytown National park. Back in 2013 I rang the Bendigo Office and spoke to the man in charge of the park and he confirmed that there were two areas closed to prospecting. The Mount Black quarry and a reference area. They are the spots shown on the map. The rest of the park is open to fossicking. If you go to Graytown take the dirt track to Rushworth. About a kilometre along the track turn right onto Bailieston road. A few kilometres along the track you will come to Surface Hill track coming in from the right. Stay on Bailieston Road. About 200 metres from the intersection with Surface Hill track you will start to see the 'Old Timer's' diggings. The ground is challenging because it is variable, so it is a good place to learn. There are areas where there are plenty of hot rocks. I detected this area a lot when I started and once I began to master my detector I managed to find a bit of gold. It is true that there is some culling going on regarding feral goats. I have seen the feral goats many times mainly in a small band running east west of Clarke's Dam across to the Graytown-Rushworth road. I think the goats frequent this area because there is some permanent water from the 'Old timer's dams and Spring Creek. I have met the forestry workers many times and there have been no dramas. Clarke's Dam is further along Bailieston Road to the north, so you may want to avoid that immediate area until the cull is finished but the diggings just on from Surface Hill track should be fine. Hope you have a good day out.

Cheers Bob
Bob Shhhhh :|
Only Playing :D
Arr Bailieston :Y: RMOutback took me there many years ago now :beer:
I have got some Nice :goldnugget: :goldnugget: outta there :D
From sub gram to 3gm couple 5gm & My WOPPA 78 Grams :goldnugget: That was a good day :D
They were doing some drilling a few years ago on the north side of graytown rushworth road ( I think thats the road name ) .
But still Gold there :Y: :Y:

Rushy was flogged even before detectors :lol:
and Bailieston, take scrub worms and a rod, then head east - you'll do better fishing. I'd take a trailer too, probably do alright at SIMS metal recyclers the next day

Hi Daniel, when I first bought a detector I just picked random spots in gold areas I thought looked good. I did find some gold but also wasted a lot of time, no regrets, it was part of my learning process. You are well ahead already by doing your research in advance. plus you have a great detector. I have picked up pieces as small as 0.3g with my 17x13 commander coil so you will have more than a chance with the 15". Arm yourself with a smaller coil asap, like a 12" Evo or 14X9 or 12x8 Evo, (great for mullocks) I haven't used other brands but Coiltek 11 & 14 Elites are very popular.

Depending on your hearing, try switching the signal sound on your GPX between normal & inverted. You will soon know which is better for you. Are you using headphones or speaker? I find a lot more gold wearing headphones but again this is all personal preference.

Keep your Rx Gain down nice and low if the ground is hot which it sounds like it is. Many people are under the impression that you find less gold but I have found gold running my gain as low as 6 in noisy ground. Swing your coil low and slow as they say.

Don't bother detecting the centre of the holes in runs of diggings, this is where a lot of old cans and rubbish have been deposited over the years by arseholes who are too lazy to take their rubbish with them. Also they can be full of leaf litter up to 12" deep or more. Stick to the outside shoulders of the holes and in flat hard soil in between.

Don't be afraid to move sticks, branches etc. out of they way and detect under them, either. I have found pieces in heavily worked areas this way.

Dig everything except in high trash areas where this is just not feasible - in high trash spots try and pick out the quiet, more subtle tones and dig those.

I am no expert but the above has helped me and there is a lot still to learn. All the best when you head out!

I finally got out there today, out to Heathcote to have a swing.

I truly did not know how unfit I was, which became very apparent very quickly. :lol:

I managed to dig a up a piece of.... something from close to a tree, it is not gold, but it allowed me to use the detector to find the target in the ground, dig around until I managed to pull it out of the hole in a pile of other dirt and rubble and wave my hand full of dirt over the coil until I found what was making the noise (I then filled the hole back in) that was my goal for today and I succeeded.

All in all a good day, the only issues I had (apart from my fitness) was that I did not take enough water (2x 600ml is not enough, gonna go for 4x or 6x next time), and the cord from the battery to the GPX feels like it should be longer, there were a few times where I put down the GPX to dig and had to move a bit which resulted in dragging, maybe I just need to develop some better situational awareness which will hopefully come with time.

I am going to head back there on Sunday and Monday if the weather behaves.

Anyway just thought I'd reply to let you know how I went.

Take it easy all and have a happy new year. :D

Hi, Im new to prospecting and I would like to know: if Heathcote-Graytown National Park (in Victoria) has any creeks to legally prospect? but first, here is my quick story:

I've been looking for a creek to prospect, well within the permitted prospecting areas of Heathcote-Graytown National Park.
So far I have had no luck, due to Mt Ida Creek and McIvor Creek both being deemed prohibited in the Government Website of Where you Can't Fossick.
I have also tried looking for more creeks using the National park's Map and Google Earth, but still no luck. (end of story).

So with that out of the way, Does Heathcote-Graytown National Park have any creeks to Legally Prospect?
AND:
From anyone who has experience prospecting within this National Park, are there any "uncharted and legal creeks" well within the permitted prospecting areas of Heathcote-Graytown National Park, that I can prospect? and if there are any, which one you would recommend to me? (BTW this question excludes William Lagoon, since it is charted).

And another question:
Is it Legal to Prospect around or in William Lagoon since it's well within the green zone? I can't get in touch with the park staff, via phone or anything, they just don't seem to respond.

Many Thanks.

Jeez, that's a colourful story! Dunno the area, but generally everywhere that's allowed is chartered. If you want to get into the uncharted areas, just go for it....bush walking is allowed anywhere.
Hi, Im new to prospecting and I would like to know: if Heathcote-Graytown National Park (in Victoria) has any creeks to legally prospect? but first, here is my quick story:

I've been looking for a creek to prospect, well within the permitted prospecting areas of Heathcote-Graytown National Park.
So far I have had no luck, due to Mt Ida Creek and McIvor Creek both being deemed prohibited in the Government Website of Where you Can't Fossick.
I have also tried looking for more creeks using the National park's Map and Google Earth, but still no luck. (end of story).

So with that out of the way, Does Heathcote-Graytown National Park have any creeks to Legally Prospect?
AND:
From anyone who has experience prospecting within this National Park, are there any "uncharted and legal creeks" well within the permitted prospecting areas of Heathcote-Graytown National Park, that I can prospect? and if there are any, which one you would recommend to me? (BTW this question excludes William Lagoon, since it is charted).

And another question:
Is it Legal to Prospect around or in William Lagoon since it's well within the green zone? I can't get in touch with the park staff, via phone or anything, they just don't seem to respond.

Many Thanks.

I think maybe I can simplify.

If its on the gazetted exempt list its a no.
Next, theres not all that many free flowing creeks in the zone. Most "wet prospecting" is from dams or brought in water.

As far as Im aware unless any recent changes have occured then prospecting under a Vic miners right is allowed in any area not listed as rehabilitation. The only exclusion zone is the Mount Black zone.

But I can only say for sure prior to Covid, and assuming the native title process has not yet reached its conclusion.

Hey Daniel,

Would really like to know how you're doing. Any chance of an update. I'm a newbie too at detecting and like you have the GPX 5000.
It' so good to have another L plater to learn with lol.
Look forward to hearing your thoughts etc.
Cheers

Jeez, that's a colourful story! Dunno the area, but generally everywhere that's allowed is chartered. If you want to get into the uncharted areas, just go for it....bush walking is allowed anywhere.
I think maybe I can simplify.

If its on the gazetted exempt list its a no.
Next, theres not all that many free flowing creeks in the zone. Most "wet prospecting" is from dams or brought in water.

As far as Im aware unless any recent changes have occured then prospecting under a Vic miners right is allowed in any area not listed as rehabilitation. The only exclusion zone is the Mount Black zone.

But I can only say for sure prior to Covid, and assuming the native title process has not yet reached its conclusion.

Thanks guys for letting me know I'll now move on to a different area, since I won't to be able to rely on a dam or bringing in water.

Once again, thanks for all of help, I really appreciate it :)

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum and new to prospecting, I will be going out for the first time early next week to the Heathcote Graytown National Park.

I have a GPX5000 with an 15" commander mono coil, I'm not expecting to find any gold on my first time out, just try to get used to the swing of the detector, the sounds and the settings.

Is Heathcote a good place to start out? Anything I should be aware of while going out for my first time?

Thanks.
Daniel.
Daniel, as others have also mentioned you can detect there. Go to Parks Victoria if you haven't already and you will find a link to Heathcote Graytown NP map and you can fossick in the vast majority of it. Also, if you Google places to fossick in Vic a list of several NP's appears and H-G NP is one of them. I live in Heathcote and have detected many times in the past couple of yrs there. And if you ask me Heathcote is a good place to start, it's where I started only just over 2yrs ago and am still having small successes. Good luck.

try spring creek graytown, the creek flows in winter and some of the diggings hold water after a decent rain

some good gold to be found if you can deal with the clay

try spring creek graytown, the creek flows in winter and some of the diggings hold water after a decent rain

some good gold to be found if you can deal with the clay

Hi, thank you for the information I appreciate it.
Whenever I go to spring creek, I'll do my best to deal with it. #goldfever

Latest posts