Dont die in the Outback

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two blokes were in a vehicle that broke down last Saturday morning in Purnalulu National Park in northern WA. The dead man was only in his twenties and died later the same day, while they were trying to walk 30km to a ranger station.

Government contractor dies in extreme temperatures near Bungle Bungles, Western Australia:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-12-21/purnululu-heat-death-kimberley-wa/100717568

That's not good, RIP young fella :flowers:

Surely as a government contractor the contractor is required to have emergency essential comms equipment and ration packs when working remotely for instances such as vehicles breaking down :( Sounds like the worksafe investigation will expose who is responsible.

Alarming how many are just completely unaware how harsh remote Australia can be and think as long as they have their I phone their ok. In peak of season see at least one a day that is a disaster waiting to happen should anything go wrong. Is the prime reason stations up this way close down during the hotter months as ill prepared scratchers become a liability to station owners. Stay safe if not for yourself but for your loved one's ;)

Travelling through the Pilbara in a work vehicle, I always carried an esky full of water for me (24 bottles) and another carton of 24 as spares (as well as an emergency breakdown plastic jerry can of water). Many many times, Id finish my day with none of the spares left, having had to give them out to people (both tourists and other workers) who had insufficient water with them.

People set-off in their air conditioned $100,000+ 4wd with a bottle or two of water, only to realise too late when their vehicle breaks down, what 40-50 degrees actually feels like. Ive helped those whove headed out with no spare tyres, and perhaps even worse, Ive helped those whove had a flat, and didnt know how to lower their spare from under the car, or then how to change it.

One time in my own car, I stopped and helped a family. They had basically no water, and were stuck. I got them out, then spent an hour and a half under their 4wd in the full summer heat, repairing and tying up their damaged exhaust, and changing their shredded tyre (while sitting under the tarp I set up for them, in my chairs, and drinking my cold water), only to be met with loud complaints when I suggested to them that they should really head back to Karratha for another spare instead of trying to complete their journey (well over another 350km on really harsh rocky roads). When I refused to lend them one of my own spares, even though I offered to accompany them back into town in case they had another flat, they began loudly abusing me and threatened to report me to to the police (for what, Ive no idea). Dad swore at me, Mum said Id ruined their holiday, and suggested that I was being cruel to her and her kids.

Sometimes, being nice to people, is harder than it should be. If it wasnt for their kids (and my conscience probably), I wouldve let them stay out there and cook ]:D

David-Karratha said:
Travelling through the Pilbara in a work vehicle, I always carried an esky full of water for me (24 bottles) and another carton of 24 as spares (as well as an emergency breakdown plastic jerry can of water). Many many times, Id finish my day with none of the spares left, having had to give them out to people (both tourists and other workers) who had insufficient water with them.

People set-off in their air conditioned $100,000+ 4wd with a bottle or two of water, only to realise too late when their vehicle breaks down, what 40-50 degrees actually feels like. Ive helped those whove headed out with no spare tyres, and perhaps even worse, Ive helped those whove had a flat, and didnt know how to lower their spare from under the car, or then how to change it.

One time in my own car, I stopped and helped a family. They had basically no water, and were stuck. I got them out, then spent an hour and a half under their 4wd in the full summer heat, repairing and tying up their damaged exhaust, and changing their shredded tyre (while sitting under the tarp I set up for them, in my chairs, and drinking my cold water), only to be met with loud complaints when I suggested to them that they should really head back to Karratha for another spare instead of trying to complete their journey (well over another 350km on really harsh rocky roads). When I refused to lend them one of my own spares, even though I offered to accompany them back into town in case they had another flat, they began loudly abusing me and threatened to report me to to the police (for what, Ive no idea). Dad swore at me, Mum said Id ruined their holiday, and suggested that I was being cruel to her and her kids.

Sometimes, being nice to people, is harder than it should be. If it wasnt for their kids (and my conscience probably), I wouldve let them stay out there and cook ]:D

Truly the mind boggles sometimes - where do these people come from?

Not as dangerous or life threatening, but bloody hell it makes you think.

Went to the drive-in movies last night with the family, and when everyone was leaving there were three cars closely around us that needed to be "jump started."

Two were sorted by their mates, last one was nearby and had lots of kids in both 4WD cars, the red one had no idea how to position, the white one, no idea what to do with the jumper leads.

I told my wife I was going over to assist as they clearly did not know what they were doing, so I walked over.

Got there, asked if they wanted help and was welcomed, I had a mask on and the driver of the white car had a small panic to put one on for me, I told her it was all good, dont need to for me.
Took the leads, checked their condition (new Aldi brand about 1500mm long), checked both cars battery terminals, told the red car driver to start her car and leave it running.
That is when I was told that no one there had any idea how to jump start and they were on the phone to the father to be told what to do, I think it was Mum and Daughter with grand kids and friends.

Is it strange ? My whole family shy of the 6yr old, know what to do with jumper leads, I call them out to practice when I need to use them, it is just smart and sensible to teach them these things.
:Y:

The terminals of the white car were crusty with corrosion, "It was just serviced two weeks ago" (Sure Lady ! :lol: ) so bad that the clamp was almost eaten through on one side of the positive pole.
I attached the jumper leads to the white car battery and then to the red car battery and asked the car to be started. She could not get into the drivers seat because kids were treating it like a playground :rolleyes:

She 'pressed' start and it came to life. I told her not to turn it off until she got home, and to get the battery terminals and clamps sorted.
6 kids in her car and a boy about 16yrs on his I-phone.

Detached jumper cables and closed bonnets. My good deed done for the day. :)

They were down from the Country....

:|

Home and into bed at 12.15 am, just to get woken by a house alarm across the road, she is old and lives alone so I headed out, she heard noises in the backyard so hit the 'panic' button.
At least another two neighbours turned up as well, we checked things and found nothing, she was safe, so back home and to bed.

:playful: O:)

Taught our daughter all about this, changing tyres and all the basic goodies to get out of strife, I clearly remember a day with Scouts when she had a flat tyre, most of the blokes standing around scratching their ar**s while she got the jack etc out, they were shocked at her ability :eek: embarrassed the cr^^p out of them. :inlove:

What aren't parents doing these days, ... supposed to teach our kids, thought that was our job :playful: :beer: