Worm gear reducer on an older Trommel

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Have a 35+ year-old trommel that is still in use (Central Vic). A quick question, the worm gear reducing unit has seen a lot of past work and there is a small oil leak at the bottom of the reducer casing (with no ratio ID/sizes etc now legible on the unit). Can the worm gear/seals/bearings still be repaired? It would be a shame to have to replace or discard an original (and Australian made) gear reducing unit.

1640306509_img_3426.jpg

on the money there NightJar. Any good bearing place should be able to supply all bearings, lip seals, gasket paper, gasket goo (non hardening type) and oil - no problem. Then with the right know how a full dismantle and rebuild is easy money. Gaskets... just DIY from the paper and add a bit of gasket goo on them. It probably has a case breather on it too, dont forget to give it a good clean and Bobs ya Auntie... well ya just never know these days :D

Even if the crown and pinion are shot, they can be easily re-fabricated too. Dont ever throw it away, it should outlast you, easily.

Not much cant be fixed these days unless its made in China and even then most of those can be fixed if you can determine what manufactures design they reverse engineered, then just use the OEM parts. But it aint worth it - cheaper to junk and buy again

Thank you all for your great suggestions,

The pulleys on the Trommel appear to be OK (I agree it is difficult to tell from the photo) and tensional adjustments are still within normal limits: although I note that both belts are well coated in dust/dirt secondary to both long-standing storage and use. The Trommel is usually stored in an old earthen floored squatters hut (circa 1940s). I think the unit has just worn out over time. I will now get the worm drive/seals formally reviewed and replace the belt drives. Happy Christmas and New Year to everyone.

Cheers De

i think you are on the money nightjar i have a old radicon in the shed that was removed from a vegetable washer that was rebuilt about 30 years ago, they look identical

local knowledge, as others have said seals and bearings from the local bearing shop ,some may have replacement gears ,and crowns ,if not try the engineering shops ,but when looking for a engineering shop look for one that has been in operation for at least 30 years, preferably at the same address, you never know what you can find sitting on a forgotten shelf out the back

Replacing seals and bearings should be straight forward, if you're doing one, strip the box and do a full overhaul, they're an easy fix. I overhauled a small reduction box from 1976 recently and had no trouble getting the seals and bearings, bearings and seals haven't changed much in the last 50+ years, they just added a few metric ones.

Very few manufacturers use OME specific sizes so as been said most bearing and seals should be available off the shelf. :Y:

and anyone wanting to build a trommel, scout about old farms, clearance sales ect for a clapped out slasher. You can use the reduction box from them in reverse. They usually go for under $100. Ratio's vary from 1:1 thru to 25:1

Latest posts