Geovic and Warburton Area

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm fairly new to all this prospecting business and more so with GeoVic.....I've had a bit of a play around with relevant layers but all I seem to ever see is stuff around the GT.

I have all the layers turned on, but next to nothing pops up in the Warburton area....even though there's Gold mining history there......is there a reason for this?

There isn't a real lot close to Warby. Most is between Woods Point and Jamieson.

If you have all available layers on, the map would be incredibly cluttered - taking a guess you may mean the default layers on load. You can add additional layers by clicking on the green + button.

1638419726_geolayersbox.jpg
These are the layers I start with, then I add Crown Land and Topography (you can add them at the start and then just untick them till you need them).

1638419798_geowarb.jpg
Is what I found with a quick look around Warburton.

SonofOak said:
I'm fairly new to all this prospecting business and more so with GeoVic.....I've had a bit of a play around with relevant layers but all I seem to ever see is stuff around the GT.

I have all the layers turned on, but next to nothing pops up in the Warburton area....even though there's Gold mining history there......is there a reason for this?

I use GEOVIC maps and in my experience, and broadly speaking the areas outside of the "historic" golden triangle (ie Tarnagulla Dunolly Moliagul), also Ballaarat / Bendigo, Castlemaine, Whahalla for example ... the display of historical data is patchy, as in that not every gold occurrence or gold working is shown.

TROVE online newspapers is a fantastic resource and fills in the gaps..

casper said:
and broadly speaking the areas outside of the "historic" golden triangle
It is a bit GT centric. Maybe they have some criteria in place re size of lead/deposits before they add it to the map? There is a lot of well-known gold mining areas that don't rate much of a mention on there.

Pretty sure most of the mines and mineral occurrences etc on GeoVic are based upon historic reporting to the mines department... It wouldn't include old newspaper reports or anything like that (TROVE is where to go for that as casper said).

The GT (or at least the expanded GT - Stawell-Wedderburn-Bendigo-Ballarat) is where the majority of Vic mines were and had the best infrastructure and better reporting back to the colonial/state government. The only other exceptional areas are the Walhalla belt and the Beechworth area. Everywhere else the info is patchy because it was much more wild west ish ("wild east"). You go into some old mine "dots" on GeoVic and the link doesn't even take you to the report - but it does tell you that something was reported, once.

Gold explorers (geologists) spend a colossal amount of time gathering not just the GeoVic data but anything else, maps, reports, newspapers etc to build up a picture of what was happening in any given area. Historic research is hugely important in regions like Victoria. All that info can really flesh out what the geology is telling you.

SonofOak said:
Great responses, I'll keep investigating, thanks.
Just keep an eye on GeoVic they may be doing some work/upgrades on it. I've noticed a few new things pop up in the last few months that were not there beforehand.

Latest posts