Amber

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks interesting! My grandma (Latvian) used to find lots of it just walking on the beach...unfortunately didn't collect that much and didn't know that 60 years later would be worth a lot more. I wonder what things we ignore these days that will be priceless in centuries to come!

Twapster said:
Looks interesting! My grandma (Latvian) I wonder what things we ignore these days that will be priceless in centuries to come!

Cigarette butts are in good supply, ignored and getting pretty pricey to buy.... In a few decades there'll probably be a 10c refund at collection depots in SA....

My grandma (Latvian) used to find lots of it just walking on the beach...unfortunately didn't collect that much

Something you wouldn't have even considered doing 500 years ago. Thank god those Teutonic knights moved on :eek: . http://www.sjsu.edu/faculty/watkins/amber.htm

didn't know that 60 years later would be worth a lot more

More of a dip in value ;) . 500 years ago it had plenty of value.

Hi, I found new information about the Oz Amber. The place where you can find Amber is between Temple Bay and Cap Grenville. Only access is by boat.
Im 500km south, but the Way are too long and rough.
Cheers Jens

real amber smells like pine when you rub it,...sinks in fresh water and ;) floats in salt water. :)

Twapster said:
Looks interesting! My grandma (Latvian) used to find lots of it just walking on the beach...unfortunately didn't collect that much and didn't know that 60 years later would be worth a lot more. I wonder what things we ignore these days that will be priceless in centuries to come!
That amber found on the beach is manmade in the forties . Don't know why or why it's floating up? But it's there and stumping people . Keep it if you find it .

Kingsolomon said:
Twapster said:
That amber found on the beach is manmade in the forties . Don't know why or why it's floating up? But it's there and stumping people . Keep it if you find it .

I think the teutonic knights were a lot earlier than the forties - about 800 yrs. In their day it was more valuable than gold and was harvested by 'slaves' once washed up on the coast from the clay bottom - a few interesting lithographs around. Caught with amber resulted in death.

"So the Order's Groschffer[26] from Knigsberg, holding the monopoly in amber export, achieved the exceptional permission to continue amber exports to Flanders and textile imports in return.[27] On the occasion of the ban on Flemish trade, the Hanse urged Prussia and Livonia again to interrupt the exchange with Novgorod too, anyway with both blockades Russian and Flemish commodities could not reach their final destinations.[20] In 1392 it was then Grand Master Conrad of Wallenrode who supported the Flemings to achieve an acceptable agreement with the Hanse resuming the bilateral trade.[27] While a Hanseatic delegation under Johann Niebur reopened trade with Novgorod in the same year, after reconfirmation of the previous mutual privileges.[20]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_of_the_Teutonic_Order

Hi, where can I find good amber, near or not to far from central coast, or where in nsw.
And any type of crystals. :money: :gemstone:
Thanks people.

Latest posts