⭐ Show Us Your Cut Stones - Before And After Photos

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some nice looking stones there guys. I'd love to see more cut Sapphires if anyone has some.

I don't have many cutters yet only 4 good stones and like heatho I cant cut bring my self to get them cut :)

Before Pics

1394494395_bluusaph1a.jpg

1394494412_bluusaph1b.jpg

1394494432_bluusaph1c.jpg

1394494456_bluusaph1e.jpg

1394494471_bluusaph1d.jpg

The stone looks almost black with no light, then depending on angle has green tinges, on another angle deep blue colour. Just waiting on cut.

Peter

Nice one Peter, what you say about black is spot on, look closely if it's black cause it just may be blue :)

Agree, if you look at the stone on the scales you would say Black...until some light shines through. I guess that's why you should keep your concentrates and recheck at home. I would hate to think how many of us have screened off some monsters and tossed them aside thinking just a big black pebble. You just threw away a 50K+ carat monster Sapphire and didn't look twice. More particularly those only interested in "Gold" thinking "i'm not into Sapphires", yep you just tossed a $10k stone looking for 1 gram of gold lol.

Nice one there Peter, your right about the black ones must have thrown some out in the early days :mad:
These days I have a magnet, if its ironstone twang, throw out, if its not wont stick as easily. Also have a stong pinlight in the truck these days incase of iffy ones.
Cheers

thebeans said:
yes very nice looking Varts and tripz and thanks. :rolleyes: mrs will have the whip out watching me digging all day

And You are not allowed within one metre of the sorting table, stay in your hole and dig :D :D

Very nice col,that first pic in the rough is a beautiful stone

Did you cut these yourself

The green one is a Wee Jasper stone best one I've found out there to date. Had a guy in Adelaide cut them. We will be joining the Canberra lapidary club this year so we can start learning ;) My c#$p photos don't help much

Col

Nice ,
Some times it takes me longer to photograph the stones then find them :lol:

Lay the cut fellows on there side and play with the camera and a torch ,then crop them.

Show the magnificent colours mate

Varts..

How many times did you light that green one up during the first week? I would probably have to answer that in terms of how many sets of batteries I used.

fantastic stones :cool:

Wally69 said:
How many times did you light that green one up during the first week? I would probably have to answer that in terms of how many sets of batteries I used.

fantastic stones :cool:

:lol: Put it this way mate, that lil torch don't work no more ;)

Cheers

Col

A mate just got a few small ones back from Lamberts, these are really tiny, sorry about the crappy pics. No before shots. He sent 27 stones and they cut 11, just sent a broad cross section of the small stuff. We now know what not to send. :) The Zircons look awesome but need a clean. Can't believe how small the will cut a stone also.
Sapphires
1396043741_20140328_124436.jpg

Zircons
1396043808_20140328_124244.jpg

Guys, you have me giggle like crazy. Tripz, your stones are WOWzers. Peter, what a find!
I'll enter the show too, but with less ambitious stuff: here are some of the Aussie opals that I cut a few years ago:

1396228433_img_63049.jpg

left: black opal (can't remember the locality... was that Queensland? I didn't catalog my stones at the time, now I have a homemade software just for that purpose)
right: Coober Peddy material, notice the curved one, probably an opalized belemnite I'd say.

1396228456_img_63050.jpg

Also Coober Peddy material here, the blue one at the bottom is a doublet, I backed it with some of the black opal matrix to make it pop, and boy does it pop...

1396228480_img_63051.jpg

And these two small ones are Boulder Matrix, from the first chuck I bought years ago. Since then I got myself several good chunks from a well-known Boulder Matrix seller and have way bigger ones in my cutting tray ;)

Now to get my hands onto some Aussie saphs, zircs and spinels! :D

Nothing to be sneezed at there Thomas, that Doublet looks fantastic. Lee and I just purchased a heap of black opal rough to start cutting once we join the local lapidary club. If you ever come down under, I'm sure there are a few members who would happily take you out on a Sapphire and Zircon hunt.

Cheers

Col

Latest posts