Beekeeping

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Les,

I began getting interested because my kids were asking questions, and the school has a great place where the bee hive could be placed on a balcony area.
Then I saw some models on 'observation hives' with glass sides, which look great but as I understand can be difficult to manage/maintain.

I really need to do a bee keeping course or get some local experience.

;)

Hi Greenhornet,

Keeping bees is very much like prospecting. It is an addictive hobby that can take over much of your spare time. Give it a go, Im sure that you will enjoy it just as much as I do. I met a fellow a few years ago who was in his 80th year of beekeeping. (He started when he was 6 years of age) He spoke with such passion and told me that he was still learning after all those years. There are so many interesting aspects to this pastime. That is why I post on this thread. I am sure that there are many people like yourself that would like to take the plunge into keeping a few bees but are not quite sure of how to take the first step. I must admit that during lockdown, beekeeping activities kept me entertained and busy through late winter and into spring. Over the next month or so I will put out a few more clips on some of the other comb honey experiments I have been playing with. Looks like the first comb honey harvest will occur later this week. Really excited about this as most of my family will be down for the weekend and will be keen to try the sweet sticky stuff.

Cheers

Les

Good onya Mackka. Iron bark honey is one of my favourites. Infact, thats what the bees are working at the moment. After drought and then fire, its been a couple of hard years. Its great to see the bush stating to recover and the bees are really appreciative. The spotted gum is going to flower this winter so there wont be any trips to the west during the cooler months.

Cheers

Les

Brilliant Work Les. :Y: :Y: :perfect:

I stalled on the Honey Bee's myself
due to being allergic to Bee sting.

I really wish I could. :/ :/

We have just harvested and bottled our first ever batch of honey from our hive sitting in the back yard. We strained it etc as you are supposed to but were a little taken back as it has a milky / cloudy appearance and not a clear brown appearance that you see in jars in shops. Got onto google and this is apparently normal as we haven't pastuerised it. Hope this is correct as I have been eating it over the weekend :D

Raw honey can contain spores of the bacteria Clostridium botulinum. This bacteria is especially harmful to babies or children under the age of one. It may cause botulism poisoning, which results in life-threatening paralysis. However, botulism is very rare among healthy adults and older children.

Hi Rodt,

Honey can often appear a bit cloudy straight after extraction. Small partials of wax, pollen and air bubbles cause this effect. When honey is allowed to sit for a while, these particles generally float to the surface. Honey extracted from a hive straight after winter can also be a bit cloudy.

Thanks Les. We let it sit for a few days before putting into bottles thinking that that was what we should do but it still stayed that way so not too sure. As we are in town we reckon it may also have something to do with the smorgasbord of plants around as opposed to having a hive near a particular tree / plant area.

Bloody hell Jaros now you have me thinking I should throw the lot out :D . I reckon it is probably a similar situation to those that drink fresh milk vs the store bought stuff. Take the point though and we have no intention of selling it so will make sure that everyone we give it to is aware that it is hive fresh so to speak.

Thanks Manpa and Rodt.

I have been experimenting with a lot of ideas on this comb section theme during lockdown. There will be a few more clips to come on a variety of ideas that Ive been playing with. Comb honey is a yummy snack but you dont see a lot of it in Australia. Heres one I put together today on the next stage of the honey project. Hope you enjoy it.

Cheers

Les
[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/m1J7-Rtjmso[/video]

Hi Folks,

Just harvested my first honeycomb rounds. They look pretty good. Cant wait to taste the comb with a bit of cheese.
1637626223_8b487870-e37f-40d1-9d58-e60cc7293d34.jpg

1637626223_53c2ed42-bb10-4f4d-bdfe-5e0f459c1583.jpg

1637626223_995eca0e-dc74-4ad6-b401-190e39ca93d1.jpg

do you just push the comb out straight into the containers ?

if so that is a top idea making the comb like that :Y:

very rewarding hobby.

Hi numpty

The bees actually make the comb and honey in the clear cylinders. The honey is kept and presented in the cylinders Eg. on a cheese platter. Comb honey and blue vein on a cracker.yummy

Cheers

Les

Hi Folks,

Just uploaded another clip on some square timber comb sections that Ive been playing with. Really pleased with the way they finished up. Just polished off one of the sections with the family before dinner. I must admit it was pretty good. Hope you enjoy it.

Cheers

Les
[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/1KP3p6Xa2Nk[/video]

Hi Folks,

Just a quick video on how I now cramp up my round comb sections using a plastic drink bottle and the compressor. It works a treat. Wish Id thought of the idea sooner. Sorry about my demented brain, it comes up with some weird stuff at times. Wait until you see my next idea, it even made me smile when I saw the results. Anyway, that will be another clip in a few days time.

Cheers

Les
[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/H_85zNOkMrY[/video]

Latest posts