Question about the relationship between cassiterite and gold.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G'day, I have a bit of theory about an area I'm interested in, and need a couple of questions answered by a geo or someone who understands a possible relationship between gold and cassiterite(tin).

Just to give an idea of what I'm asking,

Is it possible that gold and cassiterite are shedding from the same ground from about the same time line?

Please PM me so I can ask a little more detail, and share what I think is happening.

Cheers Dave.

davent said:
G'day, I have a bit of theory about an area I'm interested in, and need a couple of questions answered by a geo or someone who understands a possible relationship between gold and cassiterite(tin).

Just to give an idea of what I'm asking,

Is it possible that gold and cassiterite are shedding from the same ground from about the same time line?

Please PM me so I can ask a little more detail, and share what I think is happening.

Cheers Dave.

Here is an interesting paper on your topic davent, bit of a read but well worth it.

https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/81767221.pdf

Interesting read, partly answers some of my questions, but really what I want to know right now.
I have a bit of a theory, now I will have to test it and see if I'm right or not.....this might take a while...lol

Send Goldierocks a pm hopefully you get a reply. Nothing ventured equates to Nothing gained, we all know his quality of information is worthy of respect :Y:

Just quietly I reckon he'd have some knowledge about the location of interest :beer:

G'Day. I am geologist that has worked in both tin and gold exploration and mining. So will give it a go. If you are talking about an alluvial deposit that has developed from material eroding from multiple sources then yes there can be a direct relationship as both gold and cassiterite are heavy, non reactive materials. they will accumulate in similar traps. Reedy Creek in NE Victoria is a case in point. Primary or hard rock relationships are very rare. Cassiterite hard rock deposits generally occur in or near the "roof" of certain granitic intrusions and to my knowledge rarely contain significant tin.

Latest posts