You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

UnderEmployedGeo
24 November 2021 09:27 pm

So, despite having already dabbled in PI machines, I have come back to being interested in detecting but this time I have bought a Nox 800 and a 6-inch coil.

WHY? Because I am more of an investigator, I like scratching around and looking in places I find interesting. I don't get out every week so a $5-10K machine is just obscene price wise.

Am I stupid?

"Foul cankering rust the hidden treasure frets, but gold that's put to use more gold begets." - Twelfth Night, William Shakespeare.
Minelab Equinox 800, 11" and 6" coils, a couple of pans, my own crazed mind, that's about it...

Muk
25 November 2021 06:57 am

Depends on what your looking for if it’s relics Nox is great if it’s gold Nox may not handle some areas because of the hot ground. I have a mate who is very expirenced detectorist that has a Nox 800 /gpz7000 he cannot use the Nox where we look for gold due to hot ground/ mineralization here in the Pilbara WA. Loves it chasing coins on local ovals and at the beach in Geraldton where he lives, he has tried it several times out on the gold but drives him crazy there may be other Nox users that can give you some better tips on how to use it in hot conditions but generally Pi detector is better in goldfields cheers muk.

1 user likes this post: UnderEmployedGeo

OldGT
25 November 2021 07:03 pm

Not stupid but youll have to have a happy go lucky attitude and not be discouraged easily.

Mild ground, high recovery, all metal. For Gold a GM might have been a bit more suitable, but both need a can do attitude and a bit of patience.

You could get on the gold for less than a grand with the GM, and a half decent PI for under 2.

Best machine you can afford is the go on goldfeilds, but the 6 will double up as a park and beach hunter so handy whilst also giving the option to make it a free detector from finds.

I always though park hunting definitely helped keep me detecting ready when the weather time or distance stopped me from getting out gold detecting. Added bonus is figuring out what they are capable of.

1 user likes this post: UnderEmployedGeo

XLOOX
25 November 2021 09:33 pm

Not stupid, just depends on the ground & target combo whether a VLF or a PI is a better choice.

As Muk says there will be some ground that is so mineralised that you simply cant use a VLF.

But equally there is some ground around old workings that is so trashy that in practice you couldnt use a PI

Personally there is nothing I hated more than driving 1000km to a mouth watering spot only to find my detector wasnt up to it ( looking at you ADS Deepseeker & TDI SL...).

With my Kruzer & SDC combo that is a thing of the past.

I guess if there was a really trashy & really highly mineralised area then I would be screwed but so would everyone else.

A second hand GP and your Nox would cover all bases and in total wouldnt set you back $3k.

But in the end its your hobby, only you can decide how much is worth spending on it.

1985-2005 Garretts ADS Deepseeker x 2- now THATS a slow learner !
2017... Whites TDI SL 16V+Sadie, Makro Gold Kruzer, QED PL3+14x9 Evo, SDC2300+14x9Coiltek

2 users like this post: Ash1155, UnderEmployedGeo

UnderEmployedGeo
26 November 2021 10:43 pm

Cheers for the replies. I think the 800 will keep me happy given I kinda go out there "to be out there", not as a determined search for gold. That may change again... I wasn't enjoying my QED before.... Maybe one day I'll take out the mortgage on a Minelab PI

"Foul cankering rust the hidden treasure frets, but gold that's put to use more gold begets." - Twelfth Night, William Shakespeare.
Minelab Equinox 800, 11" and 6" coils, a couple of pans, my own crazed mind, that's about it...