EPIRB & PLB

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nightjar

Contributor Plus
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With the ever increasing number of new members to this great prospecting hobby, thought it to be an appropriate time to update some details about personal safety devices.
Did mention in a previous post about being ordered out of a store because the proprietor was giving a customer false information and trying to coerce him into spending double and I called the customer aside and advised him he was being conned.
For fishing friends who wish to also try their hand at prospecting or vice versa.
One EPIRB can be registered for both land and sea.
We have an EPIRB fixed in ute when travelling and when I had my boat I would take the same unit with me when venturing out on the ocean.
Some of the major retailers advertise EPIRBS for the sea and PLB's for land.
BTW, I understand very few would carry an EPIRB on their person when detecting, the PLB being lighter/smaller is the obvious choice.
However PLB battery once activated is only half that of an EPIRB.

Official details here, some states may have differ/ eg: In WA an EPIRB is a requirement if venturing 2Nm off shore;

https://beacons.amsa.gov.au/about/beacon-types.asp

Exactly right, both EPIRB and PLB's use the same technology (save water immersion activation and float free) and frequencies as each other. Both have a homing signal on 121.5 which is the IAD to allow for planes/helis to assist in location. This is low power, I think around 500mw and with an untuned antenna they don't have a staggering range, about 1km, maybe a bit more in open terrain. The other freq being 406MHz and received by the COSPAS-SARSAT/GeoSAR satellite systems. Due to orbiting issues and to overcome delays (polar orbiting), the COSPAS-SARSAT birds have repeaters as well. Once received your distress alert is passed to the nearest RCC authority.

KTI Safety Alert PLB SA2GN 10yr battery life, good for over 24 hours when activated, small fits in a pocket. or similar.

Three things that are important when selecting the kit.

1. Battery shelf life
2. Run time when used.
3. Inbuilt GPS so they can find you. :)

One thing a lot of people don't put much thought into when buying a EPIRB/PLB is replacement batteries. Whilst you can purchase many models with very good battery life times, getting a replacement battery is not as easy as walking into your nearest electronics or battery shop.

ACR for example are very popular, but no-one in Australia (that I am aware of) sells the batteries for them. Thus why I always have gone with GME - Australian company, Australian support and easy to get repaired or replacement batteries for.

I mentioned this in another thread.... the Garmin I had, was fitted with a 7 year shelf life battery. It could only be replaced at Garmin, interstate. The cost with postage to them was very little less than a new PLB. Plus the new battery assembly only had a one year warranty.

No brainer, I bought a new KTI with a 10 year battery. The old one got the battery removed and disposed of in E waste. But, don't forget to deregister an old PLB with AMSA.