You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

Pat Hogen
05 February 2019 02:00 pm

A Hall will cut a near perfect stone, it is up to the cutter and the cutter's equipment and polish regime. As for cutting perfect stones, even the competition cutters in the inter-country challenges only manage high ninety cutting.
An important aspect of precision is the transfer aligning tool and the process of aligning. This process and the precision by which it is done will determine the need to use the cheater, or not.

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder

Dihusky
05 February 2019 05:48 pm

I'm real happy with my Hall 2000, rugged heavy commercial machine, the only tragedy is Unamit who are now supposed to be the manufacturer of Hall machines don't appear to support them. I've been waiting to have an email answered for 6 months, have heard that to buy new, pay your money and wait...and wait....and wait, think there was someone on this forum who gave up and got something else.

There are a couple of folks around who can help service them, Horst Ricker in Rubyvale and I think Clarie Trevena on the Gold Coast might help out, they're pretty straight forward to look after anyway.

Have you found one Firepanther?

Firepanther
06 February 2019 12:01 pm

Not yet. So busy with fires here in tassie atm. Working 5 day 12hr shifts then a rest day and back into it.
Thanks for all the advice so far guys big_smile

Lefty
06 February 2019 01:25 pm

I've been very happy with my VJ, they are excellent machines. However, they are quite pricey.

Both Hall and Gemmasta are supposed to be very good as well. I cut my first ever stone one one or the other, can't remember which.

Unfortunately, good faceting machines of any kind are rarely cheap.

igat614
21 November 2021 02:11 pm

Hello

I start again faceting...
would yo so kind suggest good brand for 6/8 inch of diamond cutting wheel ?

thanks

Stewe

Dihusky
27 November 2021 11:16 am

Going to depend on your budget. I've used Gemmasta 3 & 4, both terrific machines and still being manufactured in Ballina, Imahashi is also great but very different as are their copy, Sterling. I had a Thompson VJ for a while, Thompson was the original manufacturer, great machine but very different ergonomics from a mast machine, so can present love/hate feelings, definitely one you need to try before you buy. I found mine sensitive to lap weight differences, moving from a copper topped prepolish to something like Tin or Typemetal for finishing caused a fractional droop which threw out the facet alignment, that said it was a 20 yr old machine.

The machine I use now is a Hall 2000 extended, inlove old but commercial grade and incredibly accurate, also rare and worth big money as those that know these machines will hunt them down. All the gold in China wouldn't but this machine off me ... then thinking about it.........