Wiley's coin and relic by-products from 40 years of gold prospecting.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1636796557_img_20211113_124659.jpg
Who,d have thought that the humble spud could have such a large and elaborate emblem. I couldn't find a picture on google, so this might be the only one that still exists. Hope so. Does anyone out there know anything about this? wiley

And an antiscorbutic too. That would have been worth its weight in gold for a storeable food source to prevent scurvy back in the day before refrigeration and multivitamins

Thanks Deepblue. So they were threaded and could be tightened with a screw driver. That helps. wiley.

1638886579_img_20211130_223310_3.jpg
1638886608_img_20211130_223422.jpg
1638886635_img_20211130_223243.jpg
This brooch? was found at Dunolly, about 1983. I think it's gold, as it came out of the ground as it is now. Only cleaned with a toothbrush and soapy water. The back seems to have some sort of clasp on it. There's no hallmarks on it. It looks very old and very well made. wiley.

Just a die crack with 6.5 million minted I reckon they would have gone through a few dies. Made for Ceylon but also used in UK hence the Rose, Thistle and Shamrock under the date. The variety with the E in Regina stamped over a N is the most valuable. Great find :perfect:

Thanks deepblue. That's a nice example. Most of the old coins found here are really worn, as they were used for so long because of the coin shortage back then. wiley.

Looks good wiley Second Bust George IV, you're getting quite a good collection of early Great Britain coins. :Y: Interesting the King George IV hated the first Bust 1821-1826 and ordered the coin reminted in 1826 as a result over 12 million farthings were minted that year.

deepblue said:
Here you are wiley
One of the finest known and slabbed.

Hi deepblue ..... always love seeing your "slabbed" pictures, always look great. Not sure if they're always yours.
Can you explain to a dimwit like me (in regard to coin collecting mainly) just what "slabbed" means.
I'm assuming it's a grading/certification process of some sort.

Cheers, have a great Christmas,
Tom

deepblue said:
Looks good wiley Second Bust George IV, you're getting quite a good collection of early Great Britain coins. :Y: Interesting the King George IV hated the first Bust 1821-1826 and ordered the coin reminted in 1826 as a result over 12 million farthings were minted that year.
Did the same re minting of his 1826 penny take place and increase the mintage ?
If so it probably shortened the odds of me scoring one....
1640236663_86b39c26-dd59-4012-b830-84c796b3d6f8.jpg

My oldest coin so far and hit it with the digger :argh:

Hi Tom,
Slabbed coins are Graded coins by a third party (PCGS or NGC) sealed in a plastic holder and registered to the owner. Each coin is photographed and assigned a grading as well, included in the holder is a chip to register the coin. Grading fees can be as high as $125 per coin depending on the value of the coin.
I have heard of coins that have been stolen, removed from the slab and then re-submitted for grading. The coin has been identified as a registered coin and returned to the rightful owner.
If you own the set of coins such as all the Queen Victoria Farthing 63 coins in total you could be registered as one of the top collectors of this type of coin.
Yes all coins that I have posted are my own. I own a full set of Half Farthings, Third Farthings and Quarter Farthings.
cheers db