Australian Geology learning material

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Use the search function on here.... Someone's probly said a thing or two on the subject I'll bet. :D

Greetings all

I would like to learn more about the Geology of Australia. I go out fossicking, prospecting, and fossil hunting. I would like to have a basic knowledge of the geology in the areas I go to. I'm in NSW but travel a bit. Any good book suggestions for complete beginners?

Cheers

Bear

Hi Bear,

At my local APLA branch they recommend UNDERSTANDING GEOLOGY - Geology for Non-Geologists https://understanding-geology.com/ which is pretty good.
Its not only the book but also includes a 40 lecture type PowerPoint presentations. The author is a prospector and a lecturer at the Western Australian School of Mines in Kalgoorlie.

cheers
Pecky

The best is probably:

The Geology of Australia
by Bob Henderson, David Johnson (3rd ed 2016)

The Geology of Australia | Angus & Robertson (angusrobertson.com.au)

(available also in Kindle format, but just as expensive and only B&W)

There is also a free download that is possibly not quite as useful for basic geology:

Shaping a Nation (anu.edu.au)

There are free geology textbooks on-line, such as Essentials of Geology but these do not specifically deal with Australia they can be useful as references.

Geology books : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

I have, The Mineral Deposits of New South Wales, Geological Survey of New South Wales, Department of Mines. Printed in 1974 a good read if you are into that sort of thing.682 pages with maps and diagrams. Was a good buy at $20.00
Mackka
Another good one is - Gemstones of the Southern Continent by Lin Sutherland Printed in 1991.

Picked this up for a couple of bucks last weekend at a garage sale.
I have no idea about geology but at least it looks impressive on the shelf. :lol:
Has quite a few maps in it. one day I may start trying to interpret it.

1637094383_20211117_071856.jpg

1637094393_20211117_071932.jpg

I have a fair few ebooks on Geology, if you want to send me a PM with your postal address I can whack them on a USB for you and send it off.

Solid Luck said:
Thanks for the offer Cranky Emu but at the moment I have no patience to read this sort of stuff. :Y:
Sorry must have got it wrong, thought you were looking for books on geology.

I have studied This presentation from Bob Fagan and has been quite helpful!

Pecky said:
Hi Bear,

At my local APLA branch they recommend UNDERSTANDING GEOLOGY - Geology for Non-Geologists https://understanding-geology.com/ which is pretty good.
Its not only the book but also includes a 40 lecture type PowerPoint presentations. The author is a prospector and a lecturer at the Western Australian School of Mines in Kalgoorlie.

cheers
Pecky

Latest posts