Coffs Harbour NSW information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LoneWolf said:
Our Hobby is under great threat of Closures everywhere in NSW Due to those who choose to ignore the rules and spoil things for everyone else..., hence the reply above... But Do the Right thing and no issues...

In NSW, if an area is in a 'Fossicking District' AND under an Exploration Lease, you don't need permission to Prospect that area, unless its on private property, Then you do need landowners Permission...

For State Forests, have a look on their websites for their maps... They will tell you if you can fossick and also where you can NOT fossick... Some areas in a SF may have exclusion zones, cause there may be an endangered Frog or plant... Then all you need is a Fossicking Permit available from them to Fossick in the right areas......

But I know that Coffs Harbour is NOT in a Fossicking District, so you need to follow SF maps for advise... I know some SF's are still closed from Fire Damage in the area as well and its all on their Websites.. They also have an office in Coffs that can give you info as well...

I lived in Woolgoolga for 10yrs and know the area very well.. Good Luck... Them Hills are full of Gold... :D

Google 'Georges Gold Mine' books... Vol 1 & 2. Free from most websites.... Well worth a read before you head out...

Also have a look at a Member here called 'Bluecurrant' he has found some very nice colour in the area.. :D

Not much Detecting areas tho, But the Creeks are great for a Pan... :perfect:

LW....

Thanks for the feedback, its what I was hoping to get. I will certainly visit SF office in Coffs to ensure Im not breaking any laws.
I have had a read of Georges Gold Mine books, as you say they make a great read.
Thanks again.

davent said:
Maybe stop by fishing tackle Australia, in Coffs. They have a very good prospecting area in their huge camping part of the shop, and the staff are great to. I stopped in last April on my way south. Great blokes, very keen and they have good experience in that area.
I know the Fishing Tackle shop in Coffs, Ive visited it a few times over the years. Didnt know they had fossicking info.
Thanks for the tip.

Hi, Heading to Coffs Harbour on the 21st of May, for some Beach fishing and Prospecting. Would like to have a go at detecting in the area and a bit of crevicing.

I read a few threads and there is mention of state forest licence required.

Can anyone give me some general areas where I can go and point me in the right direction regarding allowable areas(crevicing and detecting).

I have down loaded the Prospecting Location .GPX (Coffs Harbour) map as a reference.

Regards,

Phantom

I wouldn't be too concerned about it - by the way the guy on the phone was talking I don't think he'd ever been contacted for permission before. The State Forest Permit you can get from the Forestry Corp office in West High St. And, you only need a SF Permit if you are fossicking in SF - ie if you are doing it on private land or crown land (that isn't SF) you don't need a SF permit.

I last looked for gold at Coffs about 3 months ago right before I moved to Tamworth. If you are on Facebook do a search for Coffs Harbour Gold Hunters. I run a group there with around 45 members that live around or visit Coffs with the thoughts of gold on their mind. We just had a get together at Nundle.

Lids, a lot of the mines had multiple shafts for one lease so a lot don't get located on the maps. eg if you go to Beacon there is holes everywhere but only officially I think there was 3 leases so the map shows 3 mines. You also might find prospect shafts that never paid so didn't get formally claimed. Take a drum of water with you and test pan the spoil and see what you get. There is mines around Coramba that have more gold in the spoil that what I ever got panning creeks out there - just no water on site which makes it difficult. That said, I know folks that do well panning and sluicing the creeks. They are pretty hardcore and have been known to walk an hour+ from the car to get to a spot. The google earth overlay is reasonably accurate. Once you are on the ground it can be very difficult locating the actual mine. The blasted quartz is usually the first thing you'll find though.
I’m a novice too and trying to figure out which overlay you suggest to use on Google earth. Thanks

Latest posts