DEEP CYCLE BATTERIES and BUSH POWER

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
condor22 said:
Ridge Runner said:
condor22 said:
Simmo said:
Spot the odd one out!

lol

Not really odd until connected. :)

I think he is pointing out that the Top Battery is the wrong way round,

They look like small versions of those Off Grid 2volt batteries only smaller, Those things are Hooooge. :playful: :playful: :playful:

Exactly :) lol, that's why, my comment........nothing odd until then. They may be huge capacity and relative to AGM much much lighter, but you need the real Estate to fit them. My van is restricted to one 100-130 AH unless I use a parallel connection to the next space. That would entail drilling a hole and using up to 75 cm of cable as the batteries would be at least 30 cm apart and not aligned in a straight line.

My old AGM was 34kg 130 AH with around 32 to 65 AH usable. The Pylontech is 100AH, approx 13kg and up to 80 AH usable with around 4 x the cycle rate.
With my normal 35-40 AH daily use I should get around 6,000 cycles from the lithium for a 60%+ weight reduction. Plus I could go 2 days on the lithium before I need to charge.

So True, When people make the change to Lithium they will see all the benefits you mention along with those of us who don't have access to the sun where it starts getting dark by 15:30 in the afternoon for 3 or 4 months of the year, Not to mention the rainy days on top of that,

Two weeks ago I went away for 3 days running the 35L SnoMaster to keep 60 Snags frozen and all powered from the PLB40/40Ah and at the worst I was down to 70% SOC only because I parked up for a day or so along with plenty of stop starts while sight seeing etc, I just plugged it into the Cigar socket on the way home and it was full in no time, I am going to add an Engel/ARB 2 pin Screw in socket for ease of use and being more secure,

Like you I have limited storage space where one 8kg PLB can give me the same usability of 2X 115Ah @ 47.4kgs due to the charging speed, One hour of driving adds over 17% back in to the PLB, I keep thinking about using the Generator but @ over 24kg I just don't need one that big @ 2000w and I would only need to use one in the absolute worst conditions. So I am going to get a smaller one asap.

condor22 said:
I don't miss the mid afternoon darkness one bit, or the bloody icicles hanging from the bedroom curtains and I've been here for 55 years. :)

It's not been too cold since "The Beast From the East" winter of 2018, Although it was cold outside anything from -1 to -12*c last winter I did not put the heating on, It was 7*c in the bathroom one morning and that was refreshing I must admit, :eek: Each winter I have added more and more kit to my Cold weather gear and it would have to go below -60* and below before it would effect my day, I just refuse to let the weather dictate my Day, The excess Rain is the only thing I don't like..

I have been testing those 12v Electric Blankets I bought and they are Awesome, "Don't Know If I Told You About Them ??" :inlove: :Y: :perfect:

Am interested in them if you have any info.

My mate in Vic uses a seat heater from a car as it uses less power and has an adjustable "pot" for temp control.

condor22 said:
Am interested in them if you have any info.

My mate in Vic uses a seat heater from a car as it uses less power and has an adjustable "pot" for temp control.

Well I bought 2 of these 12v Blankets and they are real good, They are made of very soft high quality Fleece and they cost me 27.00 for the two of them, They claim that they use 45w but that being an Hourly Rate These blankets have an Automatic Timer which switches off at 45 minutes which means they only use 30.6w, They have 3 Heat Settings and when you power them up they automatically go to the Medium setting, One more press of the button it goes to High and another press of the button it goes to the Low setting.

When they are powered up they don't feel warm/hot to the Touch but when you lay it on you or you lay on it you can feel the heat from coming from it and they really work well,

Like you I am wanting to keep my 12v system power draw as low as possible, So I fitted the Blanket to my Double Bed in the House and I powered it from the PLB40, like most of us I wanted to see how hot it got So I set it to High and let it do it's thing, I forgot it was on and It's Timer had shut it off "Bugga" So I powered it up again and opened the windows so the room was about 14*c, after about 15 minutes I got in to bed and it was Bliss,

On the first Run on HIGH it used 9% from the PLB which is about 3.2Ah/3.6Ah, On the 2nd run it used 7 to 8% this time it used 2.8Ah, Strangely BOTH Blankets gave the same drop in power Draw when I repeated the same steps with the second Blanket so they must have some kind of Burning In Period when first switched On, Once they have been used a couple of times when on the High setting they use about 7% which is about 2.8Ah or 35.84w +/- from the PLB

Then I thought I would check the power draw in Using the other settings, On Low it used between 2.0Ah - 2.4Ah, On the mediium Setting it used between 2.4Ah - 2.6Ah, which means that I can have the comforts of home without hammering the battery Beit the Vehicle 80Ah AGM or the PLB etc,

On low it takes the Chill off the bed with a noticable warmth, On Medium it is easy to fall asleep, On the High setting it warms you up and is my GoTo setting, The High setting would be the one I would use if I was Camping or in Cold conditions and then Once I was in the sack once it had timed out I would power it up again which I have done once or twice already, Can't wait to try it in my heavy duty Sleeping Bag because it is waterproof and made for sleeping out on a River Bank in Extreme EU Winters where it can hit -40 and below.

Either way these Blankets are some of the best things I have bought to date second only to some of my Extreme Cold Weather Gear, and they sip very little power, If you Scroll down the page in this link there is the full info about them,

PS, They quick warm the Bed up to about 25*c +/- and can get warmer as well.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07WQSPD4V/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1636624465_my_12_blankets.jpg

I just let it do 2X 45 minute cycles On the High Setting and it used 12% which means it used 6% = 2.4Ah or 30.72w per Cycle which is nothing even with it being powered from the PLB40. :Y:

Back in the 80's and getting into prospecting, it got very cold in WA goldfields during winter, 0C was not uncommon.
Doing it tough I slept under the stars in a swag.
Dug a trench and when ready for bed would line the trench with coals from the campfire and then refill.
Placed the swag on the the covered trench and slept soundly on the now warm soft ground.

Looks good and I'll keep in mind. However, lol....... changes coming here. :)

We've moved house, were living in wife's old family home as looking after her mother. She passed in April, so long story short, sold the house got a new one and made some $$$.

I have a new car on order, gonna be 6-8 months to delivery, maybe, lol. So thinking about a new van as well. Here's the quandary for me.

1. Keep the old van having got it almost as I want - However, only 60lt of H2O, 2 x 4.5kg LPG, 3 way fridge and bugger all left to ATM (load rating not a lot).
2. Look for a new van slightly bigger, to address the above shortfalls and put up with the extra load on the tug.
3. Look for a Hybrid that is off road, small in length that also addresses shortfalls, so I can take it to areas my current van or a slightly bigger one won't go.

Only just started to look, saw one I like, but there's a 12 month minimum wait from order and I aint getting any younger, lol.

My wants/needs are an internal kitchen, shower, toilet, a 12V compressor fridge, lithium and more battery/solar than I currently have.

more......

I'm kind of thinking keep what I have;

1. Swap the fridge out for a 12V compressor, which also fixes the LPG issue as that's what uses most of the gas now.
2. As I've already got 1 x 100AH Lithium in the van, double up to run the fridge and add more panels.
3. Means a bigger Victron, but hey, it's only money... lol.

My main reason for thinking this way is, at my age, I need to ask myself how many more years of vanning do I have, or prospecting for that matter. :)

A replacement van gonna be around the $60k mark and likely $30k trade in on the old one. Then there's the extra on a diesel heater, which is still my preferred warming in bed. Maybe, other things on top.

I can get a fridge swap out, depending on size and brand, gas plumber to terminate existing line to the 3 way etc. for around $2-3000.
Extra 200 W of solar, 2nd LiFePo4, 40 A Victron etc for under $5,000. Approx $7-8k, much cheaper than a $30k change and apart from these changes, I know the van.

My only other issue is only having 1 x 60lt water tank. But I came up with a solution. I carry 3 x 20lt military plastic jerries, empty, so sod all weight. Get to my camp area and then go get another 60lt for 120 total. It's also handy in that I can leave the van at camp, go get the water and pump from jerry to van tank when needed.

I don't go remote enough to need more.

condor22 said:

1. Swap the fridge out for a 12V compressor, which also fixes the LPG issue as that's what uses most of the gas now.
2. As I've already got 1 x 100AH Lithium in the van, double up to run the fridge and add more panels.
3. Means a bigger Victron, but hey, it's only money... lol.

My main reason for thinking this way is, at my age, I need to ask myself how many more years of vanning do I have, or prospecting for that matter. :)

A replacement van gonna be around the $60k mark and likely $30k trade in on the old one. Then there's the extra on a diesel heater, which is still my preferred warming in bed. Maybe, other things on top.

I can get a fridge swap out, depending on size and brand, gas plumber to terminate existing line to the 3 way etc. for around $2-3000.
Extra 200 W of solar, 2nd LiFePo4, 40 A Victron etc for under $5,000. Approx $7-8k, much cheaper than a $30k change and apart from these changes, I know the van.

My only other issue is only having 1 x 60lt water tank. But I came up with a solution. I carry 3 x 20lt military plastic jerries, empty, so sod all weight. Get to my camp area and then go get another 60lt for 120 total. It's also handy in that I can leave the van at camp, go get the water and pump from jerry to van tank when needed.

I don't go remote enough to need more.

I just ordered another Two electric Blankets that DON'T have a built in timer and have a 2 position Hi/Low/Off Switch just to see if they chew any more power or get hotter, The One I posted gets over 40-50+*c,

Well the Van you got You Own and it is almost setup the way you want it and with a new one you would still have a lot of mods to do to make it yours the way you want it ?? Y/N ??.

3 or 400w of Solar would give you almost unlimited power with 2 LiPo4's,,,, Two 100Ah LiPo4's would be like running 600-800Ah Deep Cycle batteries due to the speed they charge at, So I would keep your own Van and add those bits, I have seen those 33ft 6-8 birth motor homes with Twin Air Con Full On Showers and Full On Kitchens and they normally run 3 to 4x 100Ah LiPo4's So 2 should give you a power to spare.

As for the Water you are better off doing what you said, A 120L of water is going to weigh close to 119.62kgs thats a lot of excess to be slopping around in a Tank which will add to the sway effect, I know most Travellers dump 80% of the water when they are heading back home just to save weight and to avoid the scalies :mad: I don't have those problems coz I can carry another 800kg+ and with a trailer and can carry even more, ;)

Nightjar said:
Back in the 80's and getting into prospecting, it got very cold in WA goldfields during winter, 0C was not uncommon.
Doing it tough I slept under the stars in a swag.
Dug a trench and when ready for bed would line the trench with coals from the campfire and then refill.
Placed the swag on the the covered trench and slept soundly on the now warm soft ground.

I have tried that in the past, After diggin in that hard ground I bet you slept well :Y:

condor22 said:

Keep in mind compressor noise

woomera said:
condor22 said:

Keep in mind compressor noise

My little Dometic and SnoMaster are almost impossible to hear, The SnoMaster you have to look at the lights on it to see if it is working, :inlove: :perfect:

I'm looking at the Bushmaster 150 lt. It will save me 11kg on weight as the 3 way (128lt) aint light. Then with a second lithium back to around the same weight.

As my H2O tank is only 60 lt, I fill it for travel - a. Stops the slop, lol and b. it's weight down low to keep the C of G lower.

My first van had a Vitrifigo compressor fridge, wasn't too bad for noise and I always got earplugs just in case lol.

RR - re charging - 2 x 100 AH lithiums give me around 160 usable AH - 2 x 100 AH AGMs around 50 to 100 AH usable (to keep cycle depth to 25-50%). An average of around twice the power.

The charging speed is only high on 240 VAC or DC-DC. When I'm camped up I'm generally only on solar, so, providing I'm getting more charge than I use, then ok.

My rough calc with a compressor fridge - The 150 lt Bushmaster specs show an average of 1.4 amps/hour over 24 hours in 25 C ambient. = around 34 AH/day + The average 35 AH I normally use for other stuff. I usually prospect in winter, so less than 25C ambient, but I'll use that as worst case for a total daily use of 70 AH.

I know that on a average to good winter day my 200 W of panels will fill an AGM using 35 AH, so double the solar will replace most if not all of 70 AH.

On crappy weather days, I might need to crank up the Honda, but with lithium, only need to run for a lot less time than AGM charging.

200 AH of Lithium will give me 2 days without any charge, if solar only half charges, 4 days and 2/3 charge, 6 days, so plenty of redundancy. :)

Just got back from measuring the van roof for panel space and can do. However, when I got up the ladder, I noticed the top of the roll out awning is flaking or delaminating, so looks like a new awning too, or at least the roll out part of it. It's only 7 years old.

I found Caravans Plus in Canberra the cheapest place for replacement awnings freight is usually about $90 save Hundreds of dollars buying from them.
cheers db

condor22 said:
I'm looking at the Bushmaster 150 lt. It will save me 11kg on weight as the 3 way (128lt) aint light. Then with a second lithium back to around the same weight.

As my H2O tank is only 60 lt, I fill it for travel - a. Stops the slop, lol and b. it's weight down low to keep the C of G lower.

My first van had a Vitrifigo compressor fridge, wasn't too bad for noise and I always got earplugs just in case lol.

RR - re charging - 2 x 100 AH lithiums give me around 160 usable AH - 2 x 100 AH AGMs around 50 to 100 AH usable (to keep cycle depth to 25-50%). An average of around twice the power.

The charging speed is only high on 240 VAC or DC-DC. When I'm camped up I'm generally only on solar, so, providing I'm getting more charge than I use, then ok.

My rough calc with a compressor fridge - The 150 lt Bushmaster specs show an average of 1.4 amps/hour over 24 hours in 25 C ambient. = around 34 AH/day + The average 35 AH I normally use for other stuff. I usually prospect in winter, so less than 25C ambient, but I'll use that as worst case for a total daily use of 70 AH.

I know that on a average to good winter day my 200 W of panels will fill an AGM using 35 AH, so double the solar will replace most if not all of 70 AH.

On crappy weather days, I might need to crank up the Honda, but with lithium, only need to run for a lot less time than AGM charging.

200 AH of Lithium will give me 2 days without any charge, if solar only half charges, 4 days and 2/3 charge, 6 days, so plenty of redundancy. :)

The reason I said the 2x Lithium would be like having 600Ah AGM / Deep Cycle Is for a couple of reasons 1) you get to use 80/90% of the Stored Energy and 2) Is because the AGM / Deep Cycle batteries waste so much energy So where as your 200w panel would take a long time to put 50/60Ah back in to the AGM, Your Lithium would only take between 2 and 4 hours to fill it up, Not only that even on a Hot Day you big New Big Fridge won't chew all the power your 200w panel can produce in a day so with 2x LiPo4's and 2x 200w Panels the only time your LiPo batteries would have to work is during the night because the Sun would be doing all the hard work during the day,

In series your going to get around 12Ah on average +/- but in parallele your going to get around 20-30Ah Over 6 or 8 hours thats huge power, I would be very surprized if you used 15-20% at night and even on a cloudy day your panels will easily cover what was used over night and when the Sun comes up they will be charged before smoko,

I am having to use Butane Heaters and stove for cooking and heating due to the lack of places to mount Panels, I have a 120w foldout panel and today I bought 2 small 14w folding panels just for the phone or Tablet etc small enough to go in a backpack if I go wondering,

Still got my 6x 150w panels and a 100w gathering Dust all still in their boxes, I would love to see what they can put out when in series and papallele at the same time, :inlove:

I think I have the Bluetooth Victron 100/20, I made up leads with Andersons so I can hook in a kilowatt meter before or after the Victron and I can hook up proper solar panels or the portable ones,

Having the lithium PLB's has allowed me to scale down on panels as well as save weight/Space On batteries and with the PLB's having their own DC/DC built in has also saved weight because I have not had to hardwire anything in to the Van and The PLB's only have to run the little 35L SnoMaster the Little Dometic is very quiet and sits on the floor behind the drivers seat and the SnoMaster sits on one side of the bed, because it is so quiet it is within 1 or 2 feet from my head, Can't do that with the ARB's, All of the fridges have similar db levels but the Pitch or frequency of the SnoMaster makes it quieter than when we breath out,

I think when you get the solar and batteries sorted you will also be able to ditch some of your excess wiring mods which will also save weight.

Well what a difference a day makes, lol. Went out this arvo and deposited a new van. Avan Golf off road pop top.

2 x 90lt water tanks, Solar, Microwave, Inside 12 V compressor fridge, (not sure of size) External lockable draw fridge, Toolbox on draw bar, External kitchen and sink, all LED lighting, internal shower/toilet and external shower, 2 jerry holders on rear bumper. Room for a diesel heater under bed., big dinette.

All in 4600mm internal length = approx 15'

Going to replace the Jurgens awning, remove the Lithium and 240 VAC charger as I kept the OEM gear. Will fit a new diesel heater to the Golf.

FYI - I saw the Avan order on delivery times for a Golf off road (from the factory in VIC) if I ordered a new one delivery is estimated for March 2024. As their new stock is not due till April next year, I can't have it till then, but 5 months is better than 28 months.

condor22 said:
Well what a difference a day makes, lol. Went out this arvo and deposited a new van. Avan Golf off road pop top.

2 x 90lt water tanks, Solar, Microwave, Inside 12 V compressor fridge, (not sure of size) External lockable draw fridge, Toolbox on draw bar, External kitchen and sink, all LED lighting, internal shower/toilet and external shower, 2 jerry holders on rear bumper. Room for a diesel heater under bed., big dinette.

All in 4600mm internal length = approx 15'

Going to replace the Jurgens awning, remove the Lithium and 240 VAC charger as I kept the OEM gear. Will fit a new diesel heater to the Golf.

FYI - I saw the Avan order on delivery times for a Golf off road (from the factory in VIC) if I ordered a new one delivery is estimated for March 2024. As their new stock is not due till April next year, I can't have it till then, but 5 months is better than 28 months.

LOL, Your as bad as me when it comes to new Toys, Are you sure we ain't related :eek: :p :playful: :Y:

Good on ya mate. :Y:

Tomorrow's job/s - Re prepping the Jurgens for trade in

Remove the following; 100 AH Lithium, Voltech 240 VAC charger, USB twin charger and cig socket, (I made a small plate to install these where the OEM volt gauge, LED type) 12 station fuse block, terminal strips and posts for common earth et etc. Also the Remotes for the Voltech charger and the BM320 monitor.

Reinstall the crappy Omegalec charger/distribution module and voltmeter, then reconnect it all.

Buy a cheap GEL or AGM to go with the van.

Also going to remove the Sirroco Fan and the multi 12 V power box for TV, Satellite, Fan and spare.

Then it's off to Bunnings for some wood filler to fill all the screw holes.

Shame to do so, but gonna need to leave the diesel heater in situ and the solar.

Biggest problem will be finding somewhere to store what's in the van as my recent home move was a significant downsize. :)

Latest posts