Coleman Battery Guard 800 Lumin Lantern Test

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bought this Lantern a couple of months So I put it to the test, I bought a Brick of 20 cheap Varta D Cells Batteries so as to get real world results, The batteries cost 19.19p OR $35.25c AUD,

Using one set of 4 batteries over time periods of 6, 8 16 and 45 hours non stop, A set of 4 of these batteries is equal to 3.83p OR $7.04c AUD, Coleman claim that it will run for 200 hrs on Low, 80 hrs on medium and 30 hrs on High, the end results are quite surprizing, During the test I had played with the brightness and showed it to my brother and just messed about with it in general, and come to the conclusion that this lantern is the cheapest form of lighting when it comes to cost of fuel Vs run time,

Having logged every hour it was left on for, On the Low setting it achieved a total run time of 257 hours which is 57 hours more than Coleman claim, If you take that $7.04 /divide by 257 works out that it costs $0.027c per hour of light,

The brighness of this lantern can rival a Gas or petrol powered lantern and it is safe for use Indoors or around Children or in a Caravan etc and just perfect for power outages or even down a Mine, With new batteries the Lowest setting can light up a 4m X 4m room easily, and the 257 hours at 8 hours a night gives you enough run time for 32 days straight, No doubt if you use Duracells or Energizers you will exceed my results, Either way you will only need one set of batteries and a spare set just incase.

If any of you read the reviews you will see many clowns complain about not being able to put the Base on, but that is down to stupidity because the Lantern has a Keyway and the Base has a keyway and due to the shape of them they only go together one way Once you slide them together you just push the 2 together and Twist the base 3/4" to the right and it locks in place, Job Done. :Y:

Should you Buy One ?? well I am that stoked with how it performs I bought 2. I also sent the other brand lanterns back because when you want Light you need it Now and not have to cycle through pushing buttons over and over. :/

Hope that helps,

1635998865_my_led_lamp_small.jpg