Digging up relics - Some advice needed

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like you are near a barn or stables to me. More area to go through when conditions are better for you.

Detectist said:
Looks like you are near a barn or stables to me. More area to go through when conditions are better for you.
I am taking a wild stab that there was most likely stables etc attached to the building, or around it. These were all found in the area of the foundations.

The thing concerning me now is this 'relic law' here in Victoria. I read (on a gov website, just can't remember which one) that the landholder had full rights to a depth of one meter, then all below that was the domain of the state.

I do not know the Vic rules. I suggest that you ring or email heritage Vic. I can not see any easy to obtain rules on their site.

I suspect that the intent would mainly relate to things on heritage listed sites or things found on sites that should be heritage listed. I can't see the heritage value of most coinage and tokens (except trove of course) as there are ample resources about it, but hey, I'm no expert.

Detectist said:
I do not know the Vic rules. I suggest that you ring or email heritage Vic. I can not see any easy to obtain rules on their site.

I suspect that the intent would mainly relate to things on heritage listed sites or things found on sites that should be heritage listed. I can't see the heritage value of most coinage and tokens (except trove of course) as there are ample resources about it, but hey, I'm no expert.

Pretty sure that its heritage listed sites like the kong meng. could be wrong though.
Someone upthread talked about sieving for relics and I just wanted to say that one of those big plastic bread trays from the supermarket that the tiptop loaves come on does a pretty good job if you can get your hands on one.

Detectist said:

I suspect that it would mainly relate to things on heritage listed sites or things found on sites that should be heritage listed. I can't see the heritage value of most coinage and tokens (except trove of course) as there are ample resources about it, but hey, I'm no expert.
They certainly do not make it easy to find and access this information. From what I can determine after sifting through the act (which made no mention of a specified time period, 50, 100 or 200 years etc), the term "archaeological relic" appears to relate predominantly to aboriginal remains and artefacts.

I guess I will give them a tingle on Monday and see what I can come up with, without giving them to much info re the site :lol: If they suddenly decided the old (what few remain) stone blocks from the foundations are some significant historical site and the paddock got classified, the old man would have my cods swinging from the nearest tree!

I know I'm late with this comment, Cranky Emu, but you don't really have to tell anyone about what you find - just detect carefully, dig EVERY signal (then recheck the hole), keep a personal note of when and where you find anything (for future checking), and you might still be finding interesting things in a years or two. And don't tell anyone where you spot is - you know what they say about secrets - "Two people can keep a secret if one of them is dead".

Latest posts