Minelab GPX6000 release, general information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jennifer said:
Goldchaser1 said:
Well i ended up getting shafts,yokes,clamps and a few bits to try out on our 6's.
A link i posted to one size shaft was a fail the wall is just to thin,another i ordered to suit the old gpx yoke was a win (much thicker wall section) and i've used it for weeks now with a new top clamp and it's transformed the detector but i'm not sold on the old gpx yoke as it's 1.5 mm wider overall and spreads the coil mounts slightly,long term it just might cause cracks on the coil,i'm anal when it comes to this type of stuff.
So in my search i found a supplier that could fill my needs,it wasn't easy as i wanted the yoke the same dimensions as the 6 and the clamps to suit,the shaft had to be slightly thicker then the originals preferably to reduce flex etc,bingo they could do it,wall thickness is .5mm thicker compared to the original shafts and the yokes are made to fit.
Then they said you can only buy in bulk,oh bugger so i asked if the pattern and finish could be identical to the 6 shafts and yes no probs.
So the outcome is i'll have a bunch for sale if anyone is interested,it will turn the 6 into a 2 piece stem with an adjustable top clamp supplied in the kit,yes you must cut gingerly through the top clamp and remove it or leave the twist lock one in place but i can tell you now the lever clamps are the bomb,so easy to use and no twisting or movement at all.
Should have them in about 3 weeks so pm if your interested....

You're a freaking genius... I want a set or two.... I'll PM you...

Jen

Ive been called many things jen but genius is not one of them :)
I looked at this when i first got the 6 and thought there was room for improvement,i really had no major probs with the twist locks,a bit of movement on the odd occasion didn't bother me but after using this setup for a month now it's so easy and solid it does make a big difference.
I spoke to a local mob that i thought could make a cuppla shafts for us but they said no not atm so it was overseas for parts in the end,shipping has added up so the price inc express post or courier is $149 but they won't be sold if i'm not satisfied with the fitment etc,there was a lot of to and fro so it's looking good.
Removing the top twist clamp is not for everyone but it comes off easy,also you can still use the original shaft of course if need be,one thing i've noticed is if over the years the twist clamps wear out the top one must be fitted on the top shaft before they bond the arm cuff section on,it has 2 locating pins moulded in and i can't see any way to replace it unless it's slid on from the control box end,maybe doable from the bottom i'm not sure. The lever clamp bolts on of course.
I'm hoping to include 2 clamps in the kit also but just getting the correct clamps was a bit of nightmare to be honest,i'll update on that asap...

Just thought that I would post some photos of the hole that I dug with the 11" mono on the GPX6000 unfortunately it was not gold but the depth was impressive for such a small target. Object in front of pick in hole, the hole is the depth of the pick.
1634731765_20211013_162627_resized.jpg

1634731765_20211013_162639_resized.jpg

1634731766_20211013_162646_resized.jpg

deepblue said:
Just thought that I would post some photos of the hole that I dug with the 11" mono on the GPX6000 unfortunately it was not gold but the depth was impressive for such a small target. Object in front of pick in hole, the hole is the depth of the pick.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...s/1702/1634731765_20211013_162627_resized.jpg
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...s/1702/1634731765_20211013_162639_resized.jpg
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...s/1702/1634731766_20211013_162646_resized.jpg

Had one of those the other day, got me stuffed how no other detector had found it as it was 20 m from where I got my gold in a very very flogged area.

deepblue said:
Just thought that I would post some photos of the hole that I dug with the 11" mono on the GPX6000 unfortunately it was not gold but the depth was impressive for such a small target.

Bugger .... steered clear of the GPZ as at my age I don't really want to dig to China ......
Haven't fired the 6000 up in anger yet (lockdown) but hope that if I have to dig that deep I'll be rewarded with some colour (other than rust), your next one will probably be a stonker Wayne.

Teemore said:
deepblue said:
Just thought that I would post some photos of the hole that I dug with the 11" mono on the GPX6000 unfortunately it was not gold but the depth was impressive for such a small target.

Bugger .... steered clear of the GPZ as at my age I don't really want to dig to China ......
Haven't fired the 6000 up in anger yet (lockdown) but hope that if I have to dig that deep I'll be rewarded with some colour (other than rust), your next one will probably be a stonker Wayne.

You are out of luck Teemore. The 6000 punches well deep enough to dig a lot.

I tried a usb 2.1mm "barrel" plug from both a powerbank and direct from pc to the 6000 battery and it didnt seem to like it. The 6000 battery just showed a solid red light. Plugged the battery back into the minelab wall charger and its charging as usual.

Not sure if the plug is the problem or ampage. There are 2.1mm "tuning fork" plugs also but dont know what one the 6000 uses. The powerbank seems to have amp ratings of 2amp and 1.5amp as two different ratings but cant read to differentiate as its written in chinese

I am guessing that the 6000 battery wont charge from 5v (usb)..
I can still workaround it anyway as my noco gb70 came woth a 12v female cig plug adapter. So i can charge the 6000 battery from the noco. As an added extra bonus i can charge the noco with my 20000mah powerbank too so that is still of use
Now i just need the adapter to cig plug like teemore got frrom jaycar and im good to go. Hopefully ill be able to stay charged up for near a week with that setup and the 2 minelab batteries (and car battery if needed)

hippyhunter said:
I am guessing that the 6000 battery wont charge from 5v (usb)..
I can still workaround it anyway as my noco gb70 came woth a 12v female cig plug adapter. So i can charge the 6000 battery from the noco. As an added extra bonus i can charge the noco with my 20000mah powerbank too so that is still of use
Now i just need the adapter to cig plug like teemore got frrom jaycar and im good to go. Hopefully ill be able to stay charged up for near a week with that setup and the 2 minelab batteries (and car battery if needed)
If you are getting the Jaycar adapter ensure the polarity is correct. You can have the adapter either polarity reversed.

cheers

Thanks harry. I will take the original charger and a battery in there with me when i get one to make sure its the correct thing

Im getting a bit confused by what you are saying about the polarity. I am talking about a dofferent adapter to the one i posted a link to above (whoch had interchangable plugs so maybee you are meaning that one with the polaraity being able to be reversed?)

This is the one i am looking at now whoch is hardwored, so assume it should be wired correctly for all 12v applications maybee?
This is one i am looking at getting anyway (same as teemore posted):
https://www.jaycar.com.au/car-power...os=1&queryId=3cca5a3209ff0b1ed57cbf5905e29b4b

Hi guys, things are starting to heat up a little and so bluetooth headphones (provided with the GPX600) become a little warm on the head after a while. Could anyone recommend a good low latency set of bluetooth earphones. I tried the sony ones but they provide a very delayed signal.

Cheers

HH

HoudiniHarry said:
Hi guys, things are starting to heat up a little and so bluetooth headphones (provided with the GPX600) become a little warm on the head after a while. Could anyone recommend a good low latency set of bluetooth earphones. I tried the sony ones but they provide a very delayed signal.

Cheers

HH

Been using the avan tree neckband since the 6 came out,awsome bit of gear,you don't even notice it's sitting on ya shoulders,haven't used them but it also has extractable ear buds on it,goes for a few days on charge also,we'll at least 2,not charging them every day lately,wife's using one also,highly recommended...

Latest posts