A Few Of Guessologists Finds

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could well be -I'll have to figure out where I put it and check.

Interesting morning - 4 coins out of a patch in a trashy site that I knew was still hiding stuff - the soil is hot as, I've walked over these several times and they were all only about 3 inches down. I figured I'd let the site sit for a few months to get out of any ruts I was in in terms of settings and coverage. All were iffy except the big penny which was a screamer up around 35-37 on the 600, right at the base of a Chinese scrub bush and nearly stuck in the roots. The date's just about corroded off it but its clearly 185x, could be 1855.

1632827018_capture.jpg

1981 is a half paw .canadian struck .the other one i found in my change its a 2016 20 centa . Unusual strike and it's a very unique peice .

An old horse bit, looks to be nickel plated. The site I found it on has been in for wide date range 1860s - 1930s, anyone have any ideas on the rough age? The iron in the middle is super corroded so it's got a little bit of age on it, but the plated metal is still pretty good which is throwing me,

1633991863_capture.jpg

Could be from the 1920's or a little bit earlier . Nickle plated , crome plate did not come in till latter.

Cheers, that sounds reasonable. Back over my old police station trashy site running at about 4 sensitivity in Field 1 this time, got a suite of interesting buttons and the most cooked bronze penny I've found to date - had to get the brillo pad out just to read the date. Buttons read:
  • Approved Patent[/*]
  • Patent Simplex (it's a sign, going to tell my wife that the button told me to get another detector)[/*]
  • Not legible but probably Double Ring Edge or something[/*]
  • J. Coultas Melbourne[/*]

1634095151_capture.jpg

Hah, I've lost a few pennies to family members for that reason... At least it would be paid, need to add to the new detector fund.

I've found running low sensitivity on the 6" coil to be a bit of a swings and roundabouts situation vs the 11". Better target separation for sure, but I'm also digging much more iron. I'll keep it on for a bit to do over where that sixpence came out of, I've avoided doing so for ages as it's heavily contaminated with aluminium screw caps but I'll just have to dig them all up now. I feel like I could use a CTX 3030 in this situation.

Just a big copper penny this time, it was a good hunt though in amongst big flat iron and rubble. Rang up around 28-30 (park 1, sensitivity 2/25 and FE2-2), it's clearly been in direct contact with some iron in the ground. It's almost completely flat, just the merest hint of the raised rim is left. I'm tentatively assigning it as a George IV due to it's condition and that I think I can see the back of someone's head on it, but it's so bad that it could just be some dings lining up.

1634591581_capture.jpg

Found 20 minutes to go over the lawn with my newly acquired E-Trac, left it all auto for now but running in all metal - here's what the Equinox couldn't convince me to dig:
1634875266_img_20211022_144424_tigr.jpg

One of the 10c was in the hole with the 2c, probably speaks more about my lack of skill with the Equinox than anything...

Latest posts