Minelab GPX6000 release, general information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used the same Tesa type 19mm cloth tape on the 6000 I've used on all coils & it's caused no noise issues.
1633593679_s-l1000.jpg

Hi Reynard,
Just curious, regarding 5000 at Tibuburra, did you have the chance try a NF 8 x 6 Sadie ?
cheers Johno

I used a 15" evo a14x9 nf 12x7 nf 12x6 xcoil and a 12" evo and none could even compare with the 6000. But i stress that's on tibooburra fiy poo , but lets not hijack the thread.
Jim. O:)

reynard said:
Hi teemore the 11 4800 skid plate won't fit it's too small sorry.
Jim

Ok thanks .... so there's 11" and then there's 11" ..... and then there's Minelabs versions as well.
As I said previously a skid plate is cheap compared to what we're spending on detectors.

As you've used it a bit ..... headphones, via cable or do I go the bluetooth option, seems silly to have it and not use it but stand to be guided by users experiences.

Cheers T.

I want to look for a cable thats usb to the 6k' battery charge port plug. Then can charge off a powerbank. The 6k battery is 5200mah so a tiny 10,000mah powerbank should charge the battery 2 ttimes. That would be gairly servicable for long weekend
Am pretty sure mich larger power banks than that are available now too

Woteva said:
My skid plate was not a good tight fit so I have taped it and as mentioned earlier went to Jaycar with the Minelab cable to show them what I required and walked out with a complete cable with the cig plug already fitted, cost about $6 from memory. Make sure you are sold the correct plug to fit a Minelab battery, there are two that look the same to the us plebs. Don't ask how I found out, I was able to do an exchange on my second visit to the shop. I have kept the Minelab cable as a backup.

Do you happen to know the jaycar part number for the lighter socket plug charge cable?
Cant browse on jaycar here at the moment cos lockdown. If i jad that part number it would help me get the right plug on a usb cable as they could compare for me over phone..
Using usb might be too slow, but will try anyway.. just saying becuase charging 240v took 8 hours. I guess 12v will take longer than that and 5v usb probably longer again. Thats assuming amount of volts has any relation to charge time

hippyhunter said:
Do you happen to know the jaycar part number for the lighter socket plug charge cable?

Sorry, had looked them up but didn't take note .... they have them already wired to a plug suitable for the 6000..... but comes in 2 jack sizes, I'll wait till I can go in and make sure to get the correct one. (i'm assuming you mean to charge the detector?)

hippyhunter said:
I want to look for a cable thats usb to the 6k' battery charge port plug. Then can charge off a powerbank. The 6k battery is 5200mah so a tiny 10,000mah powerbank should charge the battery 2 ttimes. That would be gairly servicable for long weekend

I paid $29 for a 20,000mah for a powerbank free del. from Kogan--works beautifully-checks the charge rate that can be used for whatever you plug it into.

Teemore said:
hippyhunter said:

Sorry, had looked them up but didn't take note .... they have them already wired to a plug suitable for the 6000..... but comes in 2 jack sizes, I'll wait till I can go in and make sure to get the correct one. (i'm assuming you mean to charge the detector?)

Al good. Yeah i meant for charging the detector. Its not super urgent so goong in after lockdown end shoildnt be a trouble can take the battery and wall charger in at that point to compare sockets for a good fit.
Thanks

Jaros said:
hippyhunter said:

I paid $29 for a 20,000mah for a powerbank free del. from Kogan--works beautifully-checks the charge rate that can be used for whatever you plug it into.

That sounds perfect for charging the 6000. Easy get 3 charges from that powerbank. Is a very cheap portable charging solution if it works ok. It also creates the option to charge the powerbank off a small solar panel too so could stay bush forever :D

hippyhunter said:
Found an adapter cable for usb on jayvar website
https://www.jaycar.com.au/6-plug-dc-to-usb-cable-kit/p/PP1985
Will give it a try by the weekend hopefully
Will have to run one of the batteries down a bit first.
The kit is '$14.99. It consist of the usb cable to an adapter socket and various types of pin plugs to dit into the end of cable. I am guessing one of them will be the correct plug

They have this cig plug adapter for headphones ...
https://www.jaycar.com.au/3a-quick-...os=3&queryId=02c1d093b667decbef63659b6c346df4

And this one for the detector ... pretty sure I saw a different sized plug to the 2.1mm
Better than the alligator clips.
https://www.jaycar.com.au/car-power...os=1&queryId=3cca5a3209ff0b1ed57cbf5905e29b4b

Nah i meant usb to 2.1mm cable so can charge from a powerbank or pc usb slot. Ive got one of those cig plig usb adapters so would be able to use the cable via one of those cig adapter usb units too.
Mainly thinking of charging with a portable powerbank when mobile.
I dont think i will be really ising the cig plug much if it takes 8 hours to charge. Means would need to leave the keys in the car with the ignition on for cig plug recharging. Usung a powerbank could just lock it all up in the car while its charging.

Well i ended up getting shafts,yokes,clamps and a few bits to try out on our 6's.
A link i posted to one size shaft was a fail the wall is just to thin,another i ordered to suit the old gpx yoke was a win (much thicker wall section) and i've used it for weeks now with a new top clamp and it's transformed the detector but i'm not sold on the old gpx yoke as it's 1.5 mm wider overall and spreads the coil mounts slightly,long term it just might cause cracks on the coil,i'm anal when it comes to this type of stuff.
So in my search i found a supplier that could fill my needs,it wasn't easy as i wanted the yoke the same dimensions as the 6 and the clamps to suit,the shaft had to be slightly thicker then the originals preferably to reduce flex etc,bingo they could do it,wall thickness is .5mm thicker compared to the original shafts and the yokes are made to fit.
Then they said you can only buy in bulk,oh bugger so i asked if the pattern and finish could be identical to the 6 shafts and yes no probs.
So the outcome is i'll have a bunch for sale if anyone is interested,it will turn the 6 into a 2 piece stem with an adjustable top clamp supplied in the kit,yes you must cut gingerly through the top clamp and remove it or leave the twist lock one in place but i can tell you now the lever clamps are the bomb,so easy to use and no twisting or movement at all.
Should have them in about 3 weeks so pm if your interested....
1634623205_cc64cdbf-188f-4825-815e-4e5157b266a5.jpg

1634623205_fde17979-e46c-455c-975b-3d377cd4ad89.jpg

1634623205_2112801d-1020-44dc-b968-c94c228c3d9d.jpg

1634623206_b41c0e8f-c6a8-40d9-979c-ea72987508ce.jpg

Goldchaser1 said:
Well i ended up getting shafts,yokes,clamps and a few bits to try out on our 6's.
A link i posted to one size shaft was a fail the wall is just to thin,another i ordered to suit the old gpx yoke was a win (much thicker wall section) and i've used it for weeks now with a new top clamp and it's transformed the detector but i'm not sold on the old gpx yoke as it's 1.5 mm wider overall and spreads the coil mounts slightly,long term it just might cause cracks on the coil,i'm anal when it comes to this type of stuff.
So in my search i found a supplier that could fill my needs,it wasn't easy as i wanted the yoke the same dimensions as the 6 and the clamps to suit,the shaft had to be slightly thicker then the originals preferably to reduce flex etc,bingo they could do it,wall thickness is .5mm thicker compared to the original shafts and the yokes are made to fit.
Then they said you can only buy in bulk,oh bugger so i asked if the pattern and finish could be identical to the 6 shafts and yes no probs.
So the outcome is i'll have a bunch for sale if anyone is interested,it will turn the 6 into a 2 piece stem with an adjustable top clamp supplied in the kit,yes you must cut gingerly through the top clamp and remove it or leave the twist lock one in place but i can tell you now the lever clamps are the bomb,so easy to use and no twisting or movement at all.
Should have them in about 3 weeks so pm if your interested....

You're a freaking genius... I want a set or two.... I'll PM you...

Jen

Latest posts