Victoria information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gen1989 said:
Hi guys,if you had to pick some top spots in vic for detecting gold what would they be and where have you had the most success.
Hi Gen, not sure where you're located but as a starting point things like John Tully or Doug Stone maps can be useful for areas near you. As a minimum they'll get you looking in gold bearing areas.
Geovic is another very good search resource for Victoria.

Another source of good old information are Parish maps . Lot of claims ,water races and leases were marked on them . So you can see there was a lot of work going on in that area. I used to go into the lands dept . in Sydney and the would tell me what parish maps they had for that area . So they would show me the ones they had and I would say give me a dye line print of the 1890 map for example . Only cost a few bucks .

I have third,forth,nineth, tenth, like to collect them.

1633673236_20211008_170219.jpg

I like Enfield, Beaufort, Castlemaine, Inglewood, Wedderburn and all of WA as well NT hope this helps :perfect:

Gen1989 said:
Thanks guys.ill keep trying and look forward to sharing some pics if I get lucky enough to get something more substantial then the few flakes I have.lol

Hi Gen, have found gold within a 10 min drive of Coiltek gold centre in Maryborough, good area to start. Google Geovic and have a play around with that, great resource. Good luck!

Thanks heaps guys.Im located in wandong vic.Thinking for detecting best bets are around heathcote and the gt.If anyone's interested in sending me to pm with some more info on some of these areas that would be great and much appreciated.Ive still got a lot to learn and have done a fair bit of research just need to get out of lockdown and head out more.

owenh1 said:
Gen1989 said:
Thanks guys.ill keep trying and look forward to sharing some pics if I get lucky enough to get something more substantial then the few flakes I have.lol

Hi Gen, have found gold within a 10 min drive of Coiltek gold centre in Maryborough, good area to start. Google Geovic and have a play around with that, great resource. Good luck!
You wasted fuel. :D :p

Gen1989 said:
Thanks heaps guys.Im located in wandong vic.Thinking for detecting best bets are around heathcote and the gt.If anyone's interested in sending me to pm with some more info on some of these areas that would be great and much appreciated.Ive still got a lot to learn and have done a fair bit of research just need to get out of lockdown and head out more.
Hi mate, I live in heathcote junction and looking for someone to prospect with, if interested let me know. Cheers Darren.

Gen1989 said:

The replies have been pretty funny here :lol: , but my only advice, apart from doing the research, is to be patient... I'm still yet to find my first bit of gold while prospecting 8.(
(hundreds of thousands of ounces as an exploration geologist mind you!)

I'm in Bendigo but always keen to meet up with folks to do a little hunting...

ok mate I feel sorry for ya.

There's plenty of spots to find gold in Victoria, it just depends how much and what size gold your hoping to find plus how far your prepared to travel along with the time you have up your sleeve to spend at the ultimate destination.

Personally, I usually do a few things first before I even load the car, usually the day before too. I like test the detector and make sure battery's are well charge ready so I can get after it as soon as I arrive. I usually take a thermos for the drive too, particularly with covid these days, ya don't want to drop into any filthy servo as most are today and catch bloody covid from some dirty stinking rotten grot. Pack a good feed too, because the name of the game is cut ya costs which is ultimately going to finance more trips away.

There's a couple of spots I always find gold. Seems your in central Vic which is good, because one of them is about 1/2 hour the other side of Bendigo. Last time I was there I had only walked about 20m from the car when I dug a nice little 12g piece, was only about 5" down, great signal, was using a 15" NF mono. The other spot is about another 1/2 hour drive further out and I usually go there if I get frustrated by not finding anything at the first spot.

Oh before I go any further, you may also want to be sure you've a miners right, it just may save you a lot of grief. You can get them online for around $25 I think they are these days. Anyway, if I don't do any good at the second spot I also sometimes go back to the first spot and circle an area where I last found a nice bit, its worked wonders for me. I start at the place I found the last nuggie and walk circles around it and move out about 1 foot each time I do a full circle. I keep doing this until I walk into a tree or something which bring me to another point. Don't forget to look where your going, countless times I walked into trees, bloody sharp grass trees and even nearly walked into in open shaft one day. Luckly my watch alarm rang when I raised my wrist to turn it off when the detector went crazy. You wouldn't believe it, there fare smack in the middle of my coil was another 3/4oz piece. Even today I have no idea how it got there but blow me down when I raised my wrist to turn the alarm off I must have tilted the coil and the nugget fell down the shaft... you think I wasn't pissed! That was about 1/2 hour out from Bendigo. You know Bendigo don't ya? Well anyway if ya turn up, no hang on, go down whats it called road. Bout half way down there's a dirt track, usually a king brown bottle is on the corner. Take a right there and head back out towards me second spot out from Bendigo till the road ends. Good luck!

Agree BigL, just one more thing as you venture into the GT.
Don't stop at servos, food joints, bakery's etc.
We don't want visits from grotty filthy rotten dirty city mongrels.

Redfin said:
Agree BigL, just one more thing as you venture into the GT.
Don't stop at servos, food joints, bakery's etc.
We don't want visits from grotty filthy rotten dirty city mongrels.

Ain't that the truth ;) As many are finding out who are trying to book in certain areas the gates are already being locked for that exact reason :awful:
To Gen 1989 being in easy reach of the GT, the sooner you put the books down and get the coil over the ground, that first piece will arrive :Y:

1641821452_lg_2022.jpg

Hey Redfin, you think you've problems with dirty stinkin rotten grots. I did an emu run out front of my property the other week and loaded 1/2 a 6x4 trailer full of bloody McDonalds waste, empty stubbies, empty plastic bottles and who knows what else. Victoria has turned into the pig stye state of Australia. Every road you drive down these days is loaded with dumped rubbish from utes, trailers or crap thrown from windows.

I lost it, as majority was McDonalds I decided to drive into town and pull up in the McDonalds carpark and emptied the trailer BESIDE their rubbish bin. F*** them

Government needs to apply a lobby to these outfits and finance full-time rubbish collector contractors to clean the sh** hole up. These bloody takeaway Multinationals are getting away scott free with creating a waste issue and the laws allow it!

Ease up L you can't hold Maccas responsible for F--- Witt customers bloke ? Many are just pigs and also pretty much why more an more land owners are locking the gates. The pigs are making it hard for those that do it right. I could write pages of what I've seen done by fellow scratchers and then they wonder why they are told, sorry mate were starting to muster CU ;)
Now then there's also the attitude :eek: Very recent true story condensed, on a station track barely wide enough for a 4B, towing trailer with quad on behind and came across a w---ker that had pulled up in the middle of the track and set up his table and chairs for a cuppa. I politely asked if he could move so I could continue on and was told .......................... you'll have to back up :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: He's probably still wondering why he had to pack up camp that night :(

yeah I agree Diginit, but how do you stop people littering? Its impossible to police it particularly out bush, only way is to revert back to the root cause. They're making huge profits and what, they've a McDondalds house or two for the misfortunate... com'n. They're making gains on the houses too, they aint the idiots - we are!

I don't blame the cockies one bit, they're at their wits end - I also farm so I'm well aware of the issues.

I tell you what, if you had a property you really wanted to scratch and went to see the owner with a few mates and offered labour for a day or two to clean up or help with whatever they needed done, I'd bet my bottom dollar you're be in. The main issue these days is people don't ask, they seem to think they've a god given right to enter private property as if it was their own. Thats what I see down here, only two weeks ago a clown was shooting 200m from our house because he didn't see it nor ask before jumping fences - laughed my head of actually, little did he know the property he entered is owned by a copper haha

Yes do agree Muccas are to a point excessive in their wrappings. Understand the issue just not sure what the solution is to it but ?

haha.. just read the cuppa on the track, good on ya! I've seen people do similar on the HUME HWY of all places, right where they've put in those bloody cheese slicer rails that you cant pull up beside without being half on the road.

Aint no doubt, some people are wired differently

I don't have a problem with city grits, just replying to a stupid post in a like manner. :playful:

Latest posts