Wiley's coin and relic by-products from 40 years of gold prospecting.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well done Sandta, did a google search at your suggestion and found this

1633894028_corporatekangaroo.jpg

1633894048_corporatekangaroo2.jpg

That's the one Deepseeker. I didn't think it was off a saw, as I unscrewed a saw I've got, and it had a screw hole in it, whereas this one has a square shaft on it. Maybe this type was hammered or glued in. Thanks guys. wiley

Here's some 1797 Cartwheel pennies I found. When new they weighed 28 grams. These are so worn they average 25 grams each! I can see why they were so unpopular, as your pockets wouldn't last long with a few of these in them. You can just see the top halves of the numbers of the date. wiley.

Deepseeker and Sandta. You both were on the money on my recent saw inserts query.Here's two more Spear and Jackson tool inserts. These must be pretty old as they're not threaded, but have square shafts. Any idea how they were held in place? wiley.
1636544758_img_20211110_125002.jpg
1636544791_img_20211110_125445.jpg
1636544817_img_20211110_125043.jpg

Could the timber have been wetted, then the dutton inserted, timber shrinks and then the handle is shaped and finished? I would have thought that would be extreme but there isnt any sign of glue.
Mackka

I may have found the answer to my question on those saw inserts/bolts. I found another tin of coins and relics in one of the sheds, and there were 3 more of them in it. These are Taylor Brothers, also made in Sheffield, England. One has an intact threaded shaft on the end of the square shaft, so they must all have been made threaded, but over tightening them, or, just wear and tear may have caused them to shear off. The smooth ends on the broken ones could have been caused by flexing when in use, etc. You can see how they have been twisted. These are unusual, as they have the old Australian Coat of Arms on them, with the emu and kangaroo looking backward, while the later one has them facing the shield. wiley.

Note it's not a screw thread Wiley, more a push in with resin type thread(not sure what they call that type thread, but it's not angled for screwing). Your intact one was most probably bent during its removal from the original handle.
1636759025_screenshot_20211113-091405_gallery.jpg

It may be a knurl rather than a thread. Maybe the square shoulder prevents rotation when pressed into a round hole that the corners bite into, and the knurled end prevents pulling/falling out once the glue or resin has set in the bottom of the hole.

I'll have another look at the whole one tomorrow. Unless an expert sawyer can enlighten us, we may never know the facts. Plus, I've run out of samples to compare them with. Who was that who just said, Thank God. L.O.L. wiley