Mystery object.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm suffering from serious withdrawal symptoms, so have been once again going over my yard in Goulburn.

Plenty of nails, lead washers, corroded toy cars, kids jewellery and the usual detritus you would expect around a house 140 years old. A few good things too, like the rising sun hat badge and 1906 threepence I've posted previously.

This turned up under the loft window in the old barn. Anyone have an idea about its purpose?

1633570772_fb_img_1633570341638.jpg

I can see why it evolved into that modern version from those two photos. Just about every used star picket still in the ground has the tip of the long side bent and burred over from being whacked into the ground. I guess modern alloys allowed them to do that and still maintain its strength without opening up. In the old days they would have had to cut the top off or dressed the star picket before they would have been able to get the original design over the top.

Deepseeker said:
I can see why it evolved into that modern version from those two photos. Just about every used star picket still in the ground has the tip of the long side bent and burred over from being whacked into the ground. I guess modern alloys allowed them to do that and still maintain its strength without opening up. In the old days they would have had to cut the top off or dressed the star picket before they would have been able to get the original design over the top.

Wow! that's deep (thinking) ;)

Latest posts