Whites SST Sierra Super Track

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One aspect I like about the SST is that it is not bothered much by EMI. It is quite sensitive as a gold machine although can give an iron tone of very small gold. It does not like heavy iron mineralisation but is very usable in moderate ferrous ground. It is just a matter of setting the sensitivity and gb accurately.

I still have a New Boxed unused MXT All Pro. plus 8 coils, and at leased 4 of them have never been used

I saw on amazon they are selling the big 15" MXT Max Concentric Coil for 600.00 / $1135.00. It's a beast of a coil and in good ground it will reach depths of 3 to 4 feet. :playful: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove:

1632996876_my_coils.jpg

Ridge Runner said:
I still have a New Boxed unused MXT All Pro. plus 8 coils, and at leased 4 of them have never been used

I saw on amazon they are selling the big 15" MXT Max Concentric Coil for 600.00 / $1135.00. It's a beast of a coil and in good ground it will reach depths of 3 to 4 feet.
Theres 1 of those Max coils on eBay at the moment for AU$640 ... they still sell for big dollars!

Ded Driver said:
Ridge Runner said:

I saw on amazon they are selling the big 15" MXT Max Concentric Coil for 600.00 / $1135.00. It's a beast of a coil and in good ground it will reach depths of 3 to 4 feet.
Theres 1 of those Max coils on eBay at the moment for AU$640 ... they still sell for big dollars!

They never sold that many of them which is why they fetch big bucks secondhand, I bought mine New but it has never been used, I also have another 2 coils that arn't in that photo, being the 10"DD that can with the All Pro and I have another 14x10DD Excellerator I bought as a spare neither of which have been used.

Went to Pine Island with the SST this morning coz the gates are finally opened. There was a bit of a rain and lightning storm last night so the river was very high and only half the beach visible but a quick detect for about 20 minutes located a few coins and a friendship bracelet from Noumea. Just a short detect but still good to get out and about again. after almost two years of nothing.
The SST is a no frills no brainer to use and achieves very respectable depth on coins and rings.

I had a SST & it was a good, easy to use detector.
A lot of the Whites "watered down" versions like the SST, SPP, GMZ were pretty good & good value.
Unfortunately I reckon it was also a sign of what eventually became of Whites i.e. they were struggling & trying to boost sales with cheaper but less optioned machines. It would appear now that it wasn't enough?
My first serious detector was a GMT & first gold bits too. :Y:

It was bad enough when Tesoro Folded but an even bigger shock when Whites collapsed. I hope Garrett do something useful with what they inherited from Whites.
Whites was the industry leader for a long time with their fully programmable detectors many years ahead of Minelab.
I still have a Spectrum XLT and what you cannot do with that machine is not worth doing. Before that I had an Eagle 2 that challenged my brain a tad. :D Also still have a 6000 DI Pro Series 3, I have found more coin with that machine than with any of my more modern units. The TID on that detector was deadly accurate.
Oh well Time waits for no one, you either keep up of fade into oblivion. :(

One good sign Adrian is the pretty quick release from Garrett of the GMT.
It will be interesting to see if they do something with the PI + TDI & ATX platforms?
The Spectra V3i was another interesting detector they had with a "watered down" VX3 model. Seemed very advanced for it's time.
IMO Garrett did well to buy Whites & hopefully we some some other Whites models or some Garrett/Whites mixes released! :Y:

Garrett has not put out a good competitive vlf for quite some time now The ATX is a good gold coin and relic machine but a bit cumbersome. Maybe the Whites purchase will help save Garrett. Their detectors work well enough in Europe and in the States but in Aussie not so good. Our coins almost always sound off as iron or junk metal in the Yank detectors because our coins are crap metal and have almost zero metal value.
The Beach hunter TDI is a nice salt beach tecta and the BHID is also a nice duel frequency WP VLF and is a nice stable beach detector.

Ded Driver said:
Ridge Runner said:

You can often pick up an old SD2000 for that money, which will go miles deeper than an MXT with any coil size :playful:

I see you are stirring the pot hmmmmm? :D
The detectors mentioned are primarily coin, treasure and relic machines (VLF Discriminators).
The 2000 is a pain in the butt as a coin machine but yeah still good in the gold fields....for big stuff.
It will have you digging gigantic deep holes just to end up with a pick or horse shoe etc. Whereas a half descent VLF discriminator will tell you to not waste your energy cos it will ID the iron. The infinium is also very good at that once you know how to use the reverse disc. I have not used a GMT but I believe it is pretty good at giving a fair ID on ferrous stuff??
Out in the gold fields with any of the ML Pis you would be nuts to not dig every target, they do not miss much but as soon as you start to pick and choose your signals then that is when you will leave gold in the ground.

Adrian ss said:
I see you are stirring the pot hmmmmm? :D
The detectors mentioned are primarily coin, treasure and relic machines (VLF Discriminators).
The 2000 is a pain in the butt as a coin machine but yeah still good in the gold fields....for big stuff.
It will have you digging gigantic deep holes just to end up with a pick or horse shoe etc. Whereas a half descent VLF discriminator will tell you to not waste your energy cos it will ID the iron. The infinium is also very good at that once you know how to use the reverse disc. I have not used a GMT but I believe it is pretty good at giving a fair ID on ferrous stuff??
Out in the gold fields with any of the ML Pis you would be nuts to not dig every target, they do not miss much but as soon as you start to pick and choose your signals then that is when you will leave gold in the ground.

Yep, All of those coils I posted will fit your SST and that MXT Max Coil will go as deep as most PI's in Normal ground, but in the gold fields would be less than useless, Still it is very impressive just the same, and being a Concentric it has better Target ID than a DD and it goes a bit deeper, Another upside to it is that it can see bits as small as the 10x6 and so it does not loose sensitivity just because it is bigger unlike most.

PhaseTech said:
Ded Driver said:
Ridge Runner said:

You can often pick up an old SD2000 for that money, which will go miles deeper than an MXT with any coil size :playful:

Yeah in the gold fields that would be a bonus but in clean normal ground there would not be much in it between the two. and it would dig less junk, :playful: :playful: :playful: :perfect:

Just a cheeky way of saying that is way too much money for a VLF coil! The brand new 15" coils I sell for VLFs are in the $300-$400 range.

But it would be interesting to see how much extra depth a 15" Concentric coil would get on an MXT compared to say a stock 950 coil, on say an Aussie $1 coin. Or even against the Detech 14x10 Excelerator coil. If it's anything like it performs on the Sovereign, I'd almost be putting my money on the Detech coil.

PhaseTech said:
Just a cheeky way of saying that is way too much money for a VLF coil! The brand new 15" coils I sell for VLFs are in the $300-$400 range.

But it would be interesting to see how much extra depth a 15" Concentric coil would get on an MXT compared to say a stock 950 coil, on say an Aussie $1 coin. Or even against the Detech 14x10 Excelerator coil. If it's anything like it performs on the Sovereign, I'd almost be putting my money on the Detech coil.

Yeah Spot On, I was so impressed with the 14x10 I bought another one the next day just for luck and ofcoarse as the Ground hots up the DD will walk away with it and it balances way better that the standard 10" round DD, It Glides across the Ground because of the point of balance and being a fraction lighter.

To be honest I never liked Detech coils but when I bought the 14x10 I could not believe the extra power and sensitivity and it handles like the 6x10.

Detech Coils are the best money I ever spent. :Y: :Y: :Y: :Y:

EDIT:- The Down side to the 15"Max is that the Detector needs a Hip Stick or a lump of Lead under the Arm Cup to Balance the Machine otherwise it's only good for Patch hunting where as the 14x10 Detech you can hunt Acres all day. I'd go as far to say that it has the best Balance out of all the Coils for that Machine be it MXT or SST, It just floats perfectly from left to right, etc.

Latest posts