Grading coins

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all sorry if its been asked but tried searching on here. Is there anywhere that can grade a single coin I've asked a couple of companies and they want a minimum of 5 coins i think my half sov is in excellent condition and it's worth wile getting it graded and slabbed any thoughts or recomendations. Cheers Ivo

Bewdy find Ivo, bet your still stoked every time you think on it mate. :party: :party: :party:

First of all Ivo,what a fantastic find.I spoke to a mate of mine and he suggested to go to a Facebook page called 'questions only Australian coins and notes'and put up your photos and they should be enough for the experts in the page including professional coin graders to make a decision.He also suggested that if you have a set of scales to take a photo of the coin on the scales to help with verification.

Straight to APCGS and just send some other coins with it. Mate any coin found in the ground is not going to grade to well as you have to clean them which limits you to XF and below. Does not matter what the other coins you send are, just send a couple of $1 and $2 coins with it.

Coin grading is a funny thing.If you dug it up dont expect it to grade highly. Also get a few different opinions .But its a great find and a good coin. An example of grading would be lets say a bank note ,the layman will say its in fantastic condition a dealer or grader will say gee its been through the wash a couple of times . same type of thing will happen with coins.Its all about knowledge.

If wanting to sell found coins, do most of you just grade it yourself or get it professionally graded. Seems to me to sometimes be in the eye of the beholder.

Depends entirely on the coin if the coin has been cleaned then it will not be worth the cost involved in getting it graded. Modern coins cost (1965-onwards) $25 to grade, Older coins cost $35 each and gold coins usually around $120 then there is postage and insurance on top.
Cleaned coins will not be slab or graded and are usually returned in a body bag unless it is specifically requested to be slabbed. Grading them yourself is risky and most people just photograph the coin and state that this is the coin for sale.
hope this helps db

Hey Guys,

I would like to get some coins graded here in Australia, dose anyone have any recommendations for where I can get that done?

So far I have only found one place Drake Sterling Numismatics that sends them away to be graded, I was hoping to find somewhere in Australia that dose it without sending them overseas.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Hi , there is no coin grading in Australia anymore unfortunately , the grading companies are primarily based in the United States such as PCGS and NGC . It depends on the value of you coin on weather it will be worth it or not. Or you could grade your coins yourself . There is plenty of information on the internet on how to do this.

You should talk to Eric from Drake Sterling as he will tell you if they are worth grading or not. I've had over 3000 coins graded through him and I'm very pleased with the service. :Y:

Latest posts