Amount of stones to send for cutting?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm just wondering how many stones I should send off for cutting at Lamberts, how many do others here send out? Not sending my best ones but still wanting to send a few nice ones around 2-3ct and a bunch of smaller stuff. This will be my first order.

Thanks

I would say send your precious stone above 1 crt to adelaide or inverell for a perfect faceted stone, If looking for value of stone it is in cutting and lamberts are not so perfect, I would rather spend 15-60 dollars per crt in cutting a stone knowing the facets are done perfect

Yeah, I might pull a few of the larger ones out and take them to Inverell next time and speak to the Gemologist I met there. Might actually halve my order to Thailand and see what comes back and then make a decision on the rest, still most are probably way too small to pay to have cut here. Don't want bill shock either after cutting unless an individual stone is worth the shock. Hmmm will have to join the local Lap club one day.

Will probably head back to Inverell in a few weeks anyway, love the place.

Cheers fellas.

i have sent 3 parcells to lamberts and whilst their precision may not be perfect you cant go past their value. the last parcel of about 50 stones came back with about 25 cut and the bill breakdown was roughly $30 cutting $15 postage & $10 exchange currency. so it pays to send a fair number of stones to average out the other costs. dont expect them back in a hurry either mine took 3 months. cheers.

I recommend them I've sent a few lots off and can't fault them the last lot cost me $66 AUD there was 15 stones cut and a few that they didn't cut that had no charge. I would like to see pictures off stones that people have sent that have come back not cut correctly lots of people say not to send stones over 1ct over but yet to see any reason not to?

hi ozjono. i am no expert at lapidadary, but the stones i have had cut by lamberts i am very happy with. they cut their stones to 'eye clean' which i think means you cannot see any marks unless you look through a 10x magnifying glass so it's likely that their reputation is just a bit tarnished by people with high standards of cutting. thats ok with me as you get what you pay for so they are still, i reckon good value for money. as for not sending quality stones, i think if i had a very good stone i would be wanting to actually watch it being cut no matter who was doing it .

with regards to payment. i believe theesedays they want some sort of pre-payment until you have had 3 transactions. i have been dealing with lamberts for about 3 years and they just send a bill with the cut stones & aust. bank details. anz from memory so its just a simple direct credit into their acc. i would presume the prepay amount would come via email after they cut but before they post back.

Do you know if they heat treat the stones? I'm under the assumption that they are all heated to get better colour?

No Lamberts don't offer heat treating that I'm aware of. Most commercial grade Sapphires from overseas are heat treated, untreated are usually way more expensive, but not always.

So no not all Sapphires are heat treated. I don't see the problem with it really though if you are honest about treating if selling them.

Latest posts