Coffs Harbour NSW information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mbasko said:
Troutman not sure if you're a member of NAPFA or not but I'd contact them as I know they are looking for new areas to add & that would be a good area to get declared.
It is up to local council to ask which involves a process of public information, council vote/approval then lodging with the Resources Minister to be gazetted as a Fossicking District.
Getting some locals to write in to Council, & also any local tourist bodies or outdoors type shops is a big help, emphasising the benefits of fossicking both for local people (outdoors, health etc.) & the benefits of geo-tourism.

Hi Mbasko,
I live in a different state, but am aware of NAPFA through posts I've read on PA, I in part wrote my post hoping someone like yourself would mention them as I didn't feel it my place to tell New South Welshmen and Welshwomen how to suck eggs. It does sounds like a good project for any NAPFA members in northern NSW to embark upon though.
Cheers,
Troutman

i'm sorry but you are becoming a Carp in our freshwater--what is you're goal mate. Not being personal but asking you to your face - what do you really want.

Jaros said:
i'm sorry but you are becoming a Carp in our freshwater--what is you're goal mate. Not being personal but asking you to your face - what do you really want.
Ease up a bit here Jaros!
What Troutman has put up here is correct. Outside of a Fossicking District in NSW you need the Exploration Licence holders permission to prospect/fossick but within a Fossicking District you do not.
The State Forests around the Coffs area that were largely open to fossicking by FCNSW now, by rights, also need the permission of the Exploration Licence holder in these State Forest areas.
I know if I lived in the area I would be chasing it up through local businesses, the local MP, Council & NAPFA to get the area declared a Fossicking District removing the unnecessary red tape.
As it stands there are probably a lot of people around Coff's essentially now illegally fossicking but don't even realise it.

When one looks at the Forestry maps with the exploration overlays it is clear that many of the areas under license are only accessible to the intrepid by foot, and virtually impossible to get exploration drill rigs, or what ever they use, into without doing extensive damage.

These licenses smack of the Big Boys selfishly taking control without any concept of exploration feasibility, this is tough country and there are plenty of areas that even the old time loggers were unable to access let alone remove timber from. Yes there is a lot of gold through the area and even better stories from the old loggers, who always carried a pan. The area is riddled with mines and getting to them leaves one amazed at the tenacity of the old timers.

So these licenses sit, shutting us out, but knowing the area I don't believe many of them will ever be explored, let alone mined without devastating the beauty of this wilderness.

I know nothing about these licenses and their governing conditions, but I firmly believe any exploration license in this sort of country, should have a time frame to complete the exploration and move to the next stage, say 1 year, then this blanketing may stop. Get in, get it done or get out!

They do have a time period, usually 3-5 years I believe, but can apply to renew them.
The other problem is if it doesn't move to the next stage then they will relinquish it & usually another exploration company will take up the same or similar area, more so in known historic gold bearing areas.
It was likely the terrain that kept the area having no EL over it until recently?

Best way forward is getting locals, relevant businesses, NAPFA & council on board to get the LGA declared a Fossicking District. Won't have to worry about Exploration Licence holders in the area again as far as access onto otherwise legally accessible land/s.

Also it is possible that the company is approachable about allowing people into the State Forest areas (under FCNSW permit) to fossick although in my experience these companies are a distinct minority. Most don't bother replying/getting back to you, a few just say No & a small percentage say Yes.
Anyone wishing to get permission would need to contact the Exploration Licence holder individually.

as a beginner, I have found it all a bit daunting, looking at the forestry maps and also the minview maps i do find myself a bit frazzled. so i actually have not been out since my last little pan where i came back with the horse shoe. hahaha.
I have paid for a permit for the year for the kids and i. I compare google maps to take a look at where private land and properties are.
Regardless of how many times a triple check, Im always paranoid that someone will come and tell me off. I definitely need to make some connections up here so Im not going out alone.
I dont understand how the companies with EL plan on getting to some of these spots, they are some pretty extreme tracks up there.

very interesting stuff and only recently looking into potential gold sites around my area - bucca creek goes through our property :eek:

Im new to panning but will have to sus out a few area's of off the creek to see if there is anything there (even a spec of dust would excite me haha)

Lived and worked in the Coffs area in the 1960's.
Made friends with a Bert MacAnally who had brothers working a mine somewhere NW of Coramba.
Between fishing trips we spent quite a bit of time panning the gullies around there, always coming home with enough to encourage us back later for more.

But there are two critters out in those gullies, not mentioned so far here, but can and will give you a hard time.

Leeches and ticks.
Ticks drop out of the scrub and crawl down your back before attacking and leeches, which whilst in the creek, are also hanging off leaves in the scrub with their "heat seekers" on just waiting for you to pass close by.

Had some very bad experiences with them

My mate suffers with Lyme's Disease now after a 'wonderful' experience with ticks in the area.. Beware.... :eek:

Leaches, they are like scud Missiles... You can see the wake they make in the water coming for you.... Not as bad as the ones out Glen Innes way tho... :lol:

LW.....

I was looking at doing a bit of fossicking in the area, both detecting and panning later this month. Reading posts on this subject and checking DIGS i'm at a loss as to where I could legally go. It looks like the area is covered by EL's or Conservation/National Parks.
Am I missing something or do I just go ahead and take a punt I won't get caught.
BTW after checking DIGS out for other parts of the state, it appears that most places I have fossicked e.g Hillend, Tibooburra are also locked under EL's.
Thoughts??

If you know your doing the wrong thing .... DONT!
Dont go and put all of us at risk of loosing more than we have already for your greed
Do the right thing ... do more research
You joined in 2015 and this is your first post .... have you read any of the topics on here?

Sandta said:
If you know your doing the wrong thing .... DONT!
Dont go and put all of us at risk of loosing more than we have already for your greed
Do the right thing ... do more research
You joined in 2015 and this is your first post .... have you read any of the topics on here?

Thanks for your helpful advice.

I wouldn't normally respond to such an aggressive reply, but in the interest of trying to keep my post positive I'll make an exception.

Yes. I have read many of the posts and yes I am more then willing to do research, posting here is part of it. I've also read many articles on the area, searched historical maps and spent many hours watching countless YouTube clips.
As for your comment about being a member since 2015 and not posting anything. I plead guilty, until now I haven't had anything worthwhile to post. I don't believe in wasting peoples time posting frivolous information.

Please understand I am not into intentionally breaking the law, I was hoping someone may be able to offer advice on places that I may be able to legally fossick.
I'm not looking at finding a fortune this is just a hobby for me and anything I may find would a bonus. My main aim is to explore this beautiful part of our country and possibly meet others with similar interests.

Thank goodness your a reader.... or it would'a been coal for Chrissie for sure :eek:

At least we can all say welcome to the forum now :D

Our Hobby is under great threat of Closures everywhere in NSW Due to those who choose to ignore the rules and spoil things for everyone else..., hence the reply above... But Do the Right thing and no issues...

In NSW, if an area is in a 'Fossicking District' AND under an Exploration Lease, you don't need permission to Prospect that area, unless its on private property, Then you do need landowners Permission...

For State Forests, have a look on their websites for their maps... They will tell you if you can fossick and also where you can NOT fossick... Some areas in a SF may have exclusion zones, cause there may be an endangered Frog or plant... Then all you need is a Fossicking Permit available from them to Fossick in the right areas......

But I know that Coffs Harbour is NOT in a Fossicking District, so you need to follow SF maps for advise... I know some SF's are still closed from Fire Damage in the area as well and its all on their Websites.. They also have an office in Coffs that can give you info as well...

I lived in Woolgoolga for 10yrs and know the area very well.. Good Luck... Them Hills are full of Gold... :D

Google 'Georges Gold Mine' books... Vol 1 & 2. Free from most websites.... Well worth a read before you head out...

Also have a look at a Member here called 'Bluecurrant' he has found some very nice colour in the area.. :D

Not much Detecting areas tho, But the Creeks are great for a Pan... :perfect:

LW....

Maybe stop by fishing tackle Australia, in Coffs. They have a very good prospecting area in their huge camping part of the shop, and the staff are great to. I stopped in last April on my way south. Great blokes, very keen and they have good experience in that area.

Latest posts