Gemstones around Gippsland ( Victoria )

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry guys and sorry for a delayed reply.

I'm in the yarra valley and you will sure find some stones about but I'd recommend to try and find your local lapidary / gem club and before you take your children to an area, make sure it has been well checked before hand. I can't help but repeat of how many dangers from the past but mostly mining from old timers. Shafts, shallow holes, tunnels, deep water and snakes.

Most areas here that have gemstones have all of those dangers.

I only take my girls to very accessable areas which families can get to, but for the dangerous digs and walks they stay home. Its bad enough me being out there. Hope you see my reply and I'm more than happy to help.

Abefeldy and Tanjil Bren hold some gems, gembrook and many other local areas

Thanks so much for the reply AtomRat. I will look into finding a local lapidary club to find more information, thanks for that. I am a little wimpy when it comes to being up in the hills, so I would much prefer somewhere safer and accessable as you suggested for myself and my kids. We are in Walkerville in South Gippsland and were thinking of having a look for Greenstone near Bear Gully.

Would you say Aberfeldy and Tanjil Bren would be accessable for the family, or should we steer clear of this one?? Again thanks so much for your reply, I really appreciate it. Cheers Kylie

The main reason to attempt to try to find a local club is they will know 'safer' area but honestly there's not many places like that, and if they are your finds may be small, but you never know so always try. Saying this you can have big finds too, but it can be hard with children as you constantly need to make sure they don't wander into unknown ground.

The most family orientaded creek I've ever seen for prospecting is dayelsford soo far but I don't really know gippsland the best, mostly near the yarra is where I know local and no where family safe that I can think of.

My girls love waiting for my home return to look at my finds everytime I dig. They have been some places with me but I'd only take them to open areas with little bush and much visibility

You will find quartz everywhere you will find, but it can produce the prettier quartz varieties lots like amethys and citrine or agates

Ill try to help you all as much as I can

Hi there, not sure if this trail is live or dead but thought I would mention that Gem Minerals of Victoria by William Birch and Dermot Henry was republished as Gemstones of Victoria. I got a new copy from the Museum of Victoria, it's a great resource! Cheers

Does anyone know of any good places to find some gems around the south gippsland shire ( Leongatha, moe, taralgon ect)
Sorry I'm very new to all of this, any information will be fantastic.

Thanks caish :)

Hi im new here too. I would also be interested in South gippsland area and if there are any places of interest. Im near mirboo north if anyone has any suggestions

Seeing how this subject has been briefly brought back to life.
I'm trying to get in contact with prospector(s) who go up hunting for yellow in more remote places north of Bairnsdale. If you fit the description, please, please pm as I would like to discuss and share details.
Thanks a lot. :Y:

Hi,

I've been scouring these forums lately as I've decided it's finally time for me to begin fossicking. My great-grandparents used to travel all over Australia to fossick and over their lifetime amassed a beautiful collection of faceted gems which unfortunately were stolen when my house was robbed a few years ago. I've been meaning to give fossicking a go in their honour and to try rebuild some their collection. From my research I'll likely be unable to recreate the vividly coloured and crystal clear gems from their collection fossicking in Victoria, but it's where I'm going to start (it's about the attempt as much as anything!).

I'm thinking of taking my friends down from Melbourne to my grandparent's farm just out of Lakes Entrance for a week and doing some day trips to fossick/prospect. I haven't seen a lot of information regarding fossicking or prospecting in East Gippsland, besides Bullumwall and north of there. I wanted to see if anyone had any information or experience Buchan or Orbost way as it's a little more accessible for me.

I would thought Buchan in particular would be a hotspot given their famous caves and the crystal formations in them, but I know nothing of geology. I understand these things can be closely guarded, but I would be grateful if anyone has any information about the area. I am aware the main rivers in and around Buchan (Buchan, Murrindal and Snowy) are exempt, but am more than happy to beat through a bit of bush to find some hidden creeks. Am I wasting my time even considering this area? If anything, what can I expect to find?

Thanks!

No gem stones here but when my brother and I started fossicking in the mid 70's we started out with a tiny little book called something like Gemstones of SE Qld or something like that. It came with pages of hand drawn mudmaps and took us out through Stanthorpe and northern NSW. You local library of visitors centre in most likely the best place to start. Look for really old prints that were produced before books were just produced for profit.

Common opal, W-Tree north of Buchan. Agate around Stratford in I think the Avon or Wellington River. Jasper around Nowa Nowa. I seem to recall agates in the Mitchell River from just south of to just north of Tabberabbera. There are also agates in Freestone Crekk around Briagolong.

Birch and Henryi os excellent, lots of good maps and specimen photos.

https://museumsvictoria.com.au/books/science/gemstones-in-victoria/

Got a few good fossils from Buchan, no idea about gemstones though sorry, but Goldie has given you a headstart.

There's a very good book called " Pegmatite's of WA".... Expensive at around $80, but your local Library may have a copy or ebay overseas for half the price.

Make sure you get the English version tho.. :8

It taught me what to look for...

I call it The Bible for Fossickers... ;)

https://www.chartandmapshop.com.au/...alderwood-benjamin-grguric-mark-jacobson-2007

This site is helpful as well.... mindat.org

LW.....