Minelab CTX 3030 Metal Detector - pulse induction? any good?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a pulse induction detector (ideally for cheap to free :lol: ) and came across the Minelab CTX 3030 Metal Detector on Kogan recently.

While the price looks good, can anyone help me confirm if this is definitely a pulse induction detector, and I would really appreciate any feedback from owners who have used one in the field? I live near WA goldfields and basically looking to use over hot ground on a regular basis. Keen to hear if this gear is as good as I think it sounds?

Cheers

Phil

Bucket List
1) Find :goldnugget:
2) Quit Job :D
3) Treasure Hunt everyday :pickshovel: :goldpan: :perfect:

I would be very careful buying something like that off any website.
Its more than likely a fake

The Minelab CTX 3030 is built to help you search untethered. It's equipped with advanced features that can help you solve the challenges you face as you search. It uses pulse induction technology to overcome ground mineralization issues.

Jaros said:
The Minelab CTX 3030 is built to help you search untethered. It's equipped with advanced features that can help you solve the challenges you face as you search. It uses pulse induction technology to overcome ground mineralization issues.

Thanks Jaros! Much appreciated!

Jaros said:
Im not so sure Jaros cut and paste statement is correct.
A direct response from Miners Den when asked said it uses FBS vlf operating system.
Btw... on Miners Den website the CTX 3030 is the same price as Kogan who also source from Miners Den.
It is also mainly used for coin and relic hunting.

Phil8303 said:
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a pulse induction detector (ideally for cheap to free :lol: ) and came across the Minelab CTX 3030 Metal Detector on Kogan recently.

While the price looks good, can anyone help me confirm if this is definitely a pulse induction detector, and I would really appreciate any feedback from owners who have used one in the field? I live near WA goldfields and basically looking to use over hot ground on a regular basis. Keen to hear if this gear is as good as I think it sounds?

Cheers

Phil

Bucket List
1) Find :goldnugget:
2) Quit Job :D
3) Treasure Hunt everyday :pickshovel: :goldpan: :perfect:

Basic is SDC2300 then look at GPX 4000/4500 or 5000 then GPX6000 and then GPZ7000 any thing else is a toy..

I can confirm the CTX 3030 is definitely not a PI machine.
The FBS (multi frequency) works well on wet sand where other VLF detectors can struggle. This might make it sort of feel like its a PI machine.

Its not as waterproof as ML makes it out to be either and has a very thin odd shaped O ring protecting the battery from water inundation. In the laboratory, I'm sure it works fine at keeping water out but the tiniest bit of grit and it starts leaking. Now the batter design has the contacts at the bottom of the battery which is where any water that gets in will pool. Stupid design. Fortunately a plain cheap round black rubber O ring can be used instead of the tiny thin red one it came out with and I'll safely take mine underwater now.
Apart from that annoying issue, its a great machine for the beach or treasure hunting. I'm not so sure on its performance in a mineralised goldfield. I have used it in super trashy areas in milder mineralization and it seemed to perform OK but wasn't finding me gold just trash. But on the beach - its my goto detector. The 2D grid discrimination on it is amazing. Why on earth ML didn't use it on the Equinox is beyond me. Maybe they are going to come out a CTX 4040?

Latest posts