Nissan TD42 best kept secret.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nightjar

Contributor Plus
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Needless to say absolute s**t weather is keeping me off the street so have been delving through a few photos from yesteryear.
The TD42 Nissan diesel has a small filter in the fuel system that is not mentioned in any of their manuals.
Had problems in the Sandstone area in or around 2006 and engine began running very rough in my 2002 GU Nissan coilcab.
A long story short was able to locate problem, a small filter no bigger than the first joint on your little finger was the problem.
It was almost completely blocked.
Photos reveal where it is for anyone still driving a Nissan with this motor.

1627811729_tddieselfilter.jpg

1627811729_tddieselfilterbolt.jpg

1627811730_tdfiltercleandirty.jpg

1627811731_tdfilterremoved.jpg

1627811731_tdfilterstripped.jpg

aussiefarmer said:
I don't own one but handy to know, its obviously a last chance filter and would catch any contamination lost when changing primary filters.

Aussiefarmer,
The tiny filter was coated with a fungus like scum that passed through filter. Put it down to contaminated diesel.
I fitted an extra filter with sight glass in the fuel line.

Oh joy, I have an old Hilux. Glad I found this post. I tiny filter like that existing would not have been on my radar. I'm going to have to take a look now just so I can locate it

Have seen number of Nissan Patrols TD42's for sale of late so a bump on this post may help new owners.
Even our local Nissan dealer scratched their heads when querying why this filter doesn't show up in the works manual.
Have no idea whether a filter like this is fitted to the 3.0Litre replacement.

New diesel has additives to stop "fungus and algae " from growing for 3 months . That is the amount of time they estimate before it will be used . So if you have old diesel it could have fungus growing in it . Mine sites with large storage add more chemical . I did look into it but could only find 20 lt . drums of it , far too much for me .

Latest posts