Builds By Baz

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sandbagger said:
PabloP said:
Sandbagger said:
Phil8303 said:
Too right, Baz! You have to stay engaged in something. For me, it's multiple things (prospecting, woodwork, photography and more).

Mate, given you're an engineer, can I ask if you have any advice on how I might build my own rock tumbler?

I actually read that as trommel for some reason.

Rock tumbler: 100mm PVC pipe and end caps, three blocks of pine, a drill and a lacky band. Go from there.

https://i.imgur.com/peoi40z.jpg?1

I like your "have a go attitude", but the Ozito wouldn't last for long as they have a very low duty cycle and crap out very fast. But the Ozito or any drill would test the various ideas out fine.

Rob P.

I've had my ozito for years and it's outlasted my bosch, dewalt and makita tools. Had as black and decker from bunnings once, that lasted me 25 years.

I've got an old corded Ozito and a new Bosch drill, but was gonna try the Ozito in a prototype version. The Mrs buys fish oil in those plastic tubs (about 20cm in diameter) that I reckon could work for a test.

The last two nights have been spent on a couple of small details on the port side cannon and skinning the wing.

My interpretation of the safety/arm selector and tag out of the cannon is a little variation on the box used for the show, but I found out after I had made it. Thus, I think I will leave the heavy duty Baz solution on the port gun and go for the screen accurate safety on the starboard gun later. Why the heck not indeed?

My version actually works and has a spring-loaded slide catch that locks in the disarm position with the positioning of the safety lanyard. There is a resounding, "CLACK!" when you release it, ready for combat.

KdzwuD8.jpg

There's a gizmo under the wing that looks like it serves no function either than to look col and add a bit of texture to the end of the wing and gun mount. Made it out of a few layers of MDF glued and screwed together. Paint and screw on.

lhDwnqP.jpg

83Ptlvx.jpg

The wing has now been press-fit with polystyrene. Soon I will use expanding foam adhesive glue to fit a second layer over the top, building thickness and locking it all in solid so I can sand and shape it.

UnVtynj.jpg

Forging a DUNE 2021 Fremen Crysknife

Yeah, I know, it should be made form the tooth of a worm. Anyone know any sandworm tooth dealers?

After the success of forging the Crysknife from the 1984 movie,

FzGRntY.jpg

I decided to have a crack at the new one. I'll upload progress pics as I can.

I'm a bladesmith at a Canberra bladesmithing and blacksmithing school, teaching classes in both, plus metal sculpture. At home, I have my own workshop and forge.

I'm using 5160 spring steel which hates being forged. It's as tough as bloody hell. You have to get it HOT HOT HOT to move it and pound it hard with a hammer to make it do what you want. At work I have the luxury of power hammers and hydraulic presses, but at home, it's all arms and hammers.

Carving details and textures into the steel is a whole lot of fun!

More to follow.

YbLBQW4.jpg

sSvcgwt.jpg

iMWOdx4.jpg

kLIcpFK.jpg

Kgb3yIO.jpg

Mk2gdv6.jpg

qZVgz0A.jpg

Bloody ripper!
My 1 st job out of school was blacksmith "apprentice" at a tourist park. Very authentic, except for an electric bellows. But it could also be foot driven. We had a very old drop hammer to, steam driven.
I never made a knife, boss reckoned too advanced for a 15 yo!
But I really loved the job, got to dress up like an old timer, I lived 9-5 in the 1880,s.

Latest posts