Photos from the bush

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nightjar

Contributor Plus
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any photos of wildlife while they are out prospecting?
I'll begin with this one of a Zebra Finch making its home in a coffee tin I hung up at our campsite.

1631664203_zebra_finch.jpg

I fixed a tin to my shack in Coober Pedy for the birds to nest in . It was up out of the way of any cats . Under the roofing iron . Feral cats could not get up on the roof . There was very few places to nest in . It was used but I do not remember what birds . It was sort of , I put the tin up and the next time I looked they had been and gone .

Mr T (Tarantula 140mm leg span) crawled out of wood we brought back to our camp. Took her home and was entertained for a few months. A member of the Tarantula Society in QLD wanted her for a breeding program but I declined. Took her back to the area where we gathered the wood and let her go. The main reason was she escaped the aquarium she was living in and it took me three nights (getting up through the night) to finally recapture her crawling around on the carpet in one of the rooms. No one would enter our home while she was roaming. :lol:

Living in a log in the aquarium (ex fish glass house.) Wish I had got a photo of her crawling onto my hand.
1631837197_mrt.jpg

Crawling around looking for another cricket to chomp on.
1631837197_mrt2.jpg

Happy to be back in goldfields where she came from.
1631837197_mrt_back_in_the_wild.jpg

Jaros said:
Was the other hand shaking too much to take the photo?? :( :)

No, she was very friendly, think she knew the cricket supply would stop if I was bitten. :playful:
Female Tarantula selects a male (less than a quarter her size) and usually bites their head off after mating, no cross breeding with this species. ;)

Latest posts