Getting gems cut

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Lefty. I had absolutely no idea what that meant. Hopefully a few other members learnt something as well. My wife still loves the smokey quartz you cut for her that we got set in silver. We may still get it set in gold one day when I can find enough.

hi guys i have a few small stones il probably send to lamberts they are all around 1 ct rough some smaller but i have one that is 2.4ct or there abouts would i be best off finding a local cutter for it or send it to thailand also?

Hey lefty had a look at some of your work. You seem passionate about it which is probaly why you stones look amazing

Firepanther said:
Gem in I thanks. What are they like to deal with? Easy to send your stones over without much hassles?
Easy to deal with. My latest batch I sent I forgot to put address/ phone no. on letter inside, only my email so 10 days later they sent email saying they have received stones and please include more details. Turn around time can vary i'm told average of 3 months but my first batch was 6 months.

Aussie cutters I have tried around Glenn innes/inverall. Won't cut any I showed them yet because they are very fair and honest that rough was not quality enough and I would not get a decent return per price. But I won't give up on aussie cutters that's for sure I just have to keep digging.

I'm very novice so really have enjoyed what I get from lamberts.

I wrote corundum(sapphire) and zircon. I think they need to know what type of stones they are generally dealing with.

Cut for size (Not for weight otherwise you will end up with the goldfish bulbous stones).

I always pay extra for calibration (apparently easier to set in jewellery castings)
Include name,address,telephone no. and email address.
write return rejects. You won't be charged for them but at least they have a look at them.
write it all on a piece of paper and slip it inside with the stones.

ON FRONT OF POSTAGE ENVELOPE....MINERAL SAMPLE ONLY NO COMMERCIAL VALUE.

Wishfull said:
Lefty. Can you help me with my ignorance, what is a windowed cut gem ?

1539081667_window.jpg

Lefty said:
There's a few of us here - myself, Pat, Sneaky Cuttlefish, Wally, Dihusky and a few others possibly.

Sorry mate, I have to rush out, I'll try and answer your questions when I get back.

Cheers

And of course Mr Magoo whom I forgot to mention :8 Sorry MM, was a very long day.

Wishfull said:
Thanks Lefty. I had absolutely no idea what that meant. Hopefully a few other members learnt something as well. My wife still loves the smokey quartz you cut for her that we got set in silver. We may still get it set in gold one day when I can find enough.

Yeah, I loved how that one turned out :) :Y: Those half-and-half smoky crystals should be faceted more often, they make wonderful gems. I've got an amethyst crystal here a bit like that, half purple half colourless, that I hope to get around to faceting sometime.

Lefty said:
Lefty said:
There's a few of us here - myself, Pat, Sneaky Cuttlefish, Wally, Dihusky and a few others possibly.

Sorry mate, I have to rush out, I'll try and answer your questions when I get back.

Cheers

And of course Mr Magoo whom I forgot to mention :8 Sorry MM, was a very long day.

No wuccas Lefty. :D I get very little time at the moment to do much cutting anyway, but here's a garnet I just sold.
Don't think I posted it here before.

1539098769_spessartite1.64ct.jpg

Cheers MM, can't believe I'm awake again when I should be :zzz:

Nice one there mate :Y: :Y: What variety is it? I see it has an orange tone (or is that just my monitor?) Spessartine?

Cheers

Firepanther said:
Hey lefty had a look at some of your work. You seem passionate about it which is probaly why you stones look amazing

Cheers Firepanther :) yes, I do love my rocks :cool: A lot of time to do it properly but the results are worth it :perfect:

Lefty said:
Cheers MM, can't believe I'm awake again when I should be :zzz:

Nice one there mate :Y: :Y: What variety is it? I see it has an orange tone (or is that just my monitor?) Spessartine?

Cheers

:perfect: :trophy: Yep. Spessartine. I've got a bit of a thing for garnet at the mo. Got another on the dop now. Not sure what type. It was sold as a 'Malaia' from but it has a colour shift. Which I don't think malaia do. Although hard to confirm one way or the other. Garnet being garnet does not follow any strict rules.

Anyway between 'bent dop stick syndrome' and a painful flaw it's going to be sub 1 ct when it should of been about 1.5. 8.( 8.( 8.(

Dave79 said:
From what I've been told the cheapest way is to send them to Lamberts in Thailand. For anything big or special there's a couple of guys in Tassie.
Hi Dave,

Im a newbie to this but Ive got some nice, large mostly sapphires that need recutting. Who are the best cutters in Tas youd recommend? Old post I know but came accross it this morning

Try contacting the lapidary club in Derby, they should be able to point you in the right direction.

Pat Hogen said:
Yep, if Makky has too much on his plate he will certainly let you know of someone who can. Where are you located, btw?
Good stuff, thanks. Had a look on his website, lovely work.
Im in Hobart and would really like to get things done without sending out of the state.
Have plenty between 1ct and 5ct that are already nice stones but could undoubtably look much better.
Only a dozen or so have actual damage that needs repair or inclusions that can be cut out