Back Outback..

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Needs a black epoxy backing..
1630471001_1630470835784.jpg

1630471193_20210901_143905.jpg

i don't know anything about opal but could you make some doublets from the thin opal ?

you could maybe make some ear rings from the small stuff?

numpty said:
i don't know anything about opal but could you make some doublets from the thin opal ?

Sure can mate, was told for backing you burn a candle with something metal above it to collect the carbon and mix that with clear epoxy to give it the black opal appearance. :cool:

numpty said:

Was watching a vid of a bloke cutting a massive chunk of opal last night, something he said "To keep it as 1 big gem can take years to sell waiting for someone with enough cash to buy it, and who is going to wear a gem that big".
Small, bright, pretty and affordable is probably the way to go..

Bigguns are sold to investors and collectors who will either keep it or sell it in a year or two to another investor at two or three times what was originally paid.
Cutting into many small pieces of jewellery will also take quit a while to sell and probably won't bring as large a return although will keep the money flowing for a while.

Update on whitecliffs opal mining..
Because of everyone doing the wrong thing on pending claims it has brought attention from authorities.
It's All ready become a heavily regulated situation as a result.

I actually think that it's a mining company with view of black lighting tailings playing it's cards over the field...