Whites Coinmaster 6000D information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Howdy all,
I got an Old Whites Coinmaster 6000D.
Seems to make all the right noises but some advice from some one who has/had one before would be great.
I've had a play in my back yard & easily finds metal items.
Took it to Bendigo on the weekend & it seemed to scream most of the time & had to keep adjusting the sensitivity & groundballance knobs. Bloke at the local prospecting shop recons the ground it too miniralised for my little detector.
It's got discriminating features etc...

any info?

Hi Ag man,
Yes that sounds tipical of a VLF machine in mineralized ground.
These detectors were good in there day but got left behind by technology.
It is still a good detector but only on ground suitable.
Near impossible to use on mineralized ground due too near constant signals, it also wont work well on wet sand.
My sugestion is that it will be worth selling if working (about $50-90 on ebay) or use in other area's away from minerized ground.
It's proble about equaul to a very cheap detector now & no better than say a minelab 305 or garrett ace or something simular.
It could also be kept as a peace of history.lol that is what I'd proble do.

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah - I'll hang onto it for $50-$90...

Will try it out in my local area & see what noises it makes.

More than likely will just hang on the shed wall with my other collected things.

Still can be used with good results at beaches on dry sand Or reserves, can be used in goldfields to but I suggest goldfields that haven't got as much mineralization. Gippsland could be good spot fro you.
Hope this helps.

Yeah - I got a local spot to try out that's known to be be nuggety.
Not keen on getting out there at the moment being hot & dry - it's fairly rough terrain & be a few snakes about... :/
I'll leave it a few months.

i had one years ago and found some good nugget with it, most of the nuggets were found against the advice not to discriminate, that is I ran it most of the time with the discriminator on after setting it to gold (after my 1st one) found heaps of good coins with it, great early machine good luck with it

i have an old 5000D coin master, state of the art in its day, i have had from my early teen years saved all summer for it and then never got out to use it much then the woes of life took over and before i knew it the detector became a relic LOL i still plan on keeping it as im sure as an old beach comber its got its value but on the gold fields i think it should be left at home hahahah that said the way its built just oozes hand made American quality from a time before machines solderer everything and was mas produced in china by 12yr old kids.

Its going to give you some double beeps, these will usually be nails or wire, anything strait does that, so do rings though. Just make sure that when you ground balance it, that you've checked that there are no actual targets beneath the detector first. That way you will get a proper ground balance for the area you are in at the time.
I also agree, that if you set up to discriminate steel out, you are probably in the same league as those Minelab 5000s(only in the two inch deep level), you've still got to walk over it first, but at least you wont have to dig down deep. Just sayin,.....some of those newchums who can't read the ground, and don't know what they're doin, walk across the biggest nuggets sometimes !.........(drum roll)............ Don't they ?

I still need a hand fixing my coinmaster and its normal TR DISC. as it just doesn't work anymore. It started off as a pulsing fade of the threshold noise, and now the setting does absolutely nothing. I've been non discriminating with it for a few months now with frustration as the rust and pulltabs come up. At this point, the only sign of a coin was a sharp 'blip' or 'blip blip' and everything else I checked its size with a slow swing over the target to 'see' what size it was. If it sounded too big ( made noise for 5" length ) I'd leave it.

Dylan and I went for a park detect and near the end of the day I had a play with some settings. One I had not used much and that's the GEB DISC. setting. So I set it to that, and it seemed to cut out signals from the threshold. I set the threshold ( Tone setting ) just audible and disc level to 8 and it still did the same thing. I put a coin on the ground and waved the coil over it and a distinct, broken, flutter signal occured. A slight chirp. So I started swinging the ground I know I've cleared the top 2" at least of pre-decimal coins last year and the detector started making the new flutter signal here and there.

It was picking signals very close to trash, under charcoal fire pits under the grass and had to use GEB NORM sometimes to pinpoint the target. I thought I had cleared this ground with this detector but the new settings gave me another 3 half pennies, 2 pennies, 4 two cent coins, and a few other decimals, all within 5m square of turf. It seems ill be back to that spot soon as its a couple hundred metres long ;) Photos will be coming on another thread I'm making of my detector finds

I might be the only person with this detector left as it seems a bit rare, this info 'may' be useful for the CoinMaster detectors as well.

I'd love for it to be fixed though so if anyone can help please, please throw me a yell, she needs to live again and not sit on a shelf!

If it has the red button on the end of the handle like the coinmaster 5000d,... are you holding the button in(like you have to) as you make your adjustments,....the red button is so that if you bump any of the dials while you are detecting, your settings won't change by accident,... and you can just press the red button if the background noises get to loud as you go, and that quits it down again(does with my 5000d at any rate).

silver said:
If it has the red button on the end of the handle like the coinmaster 5000d,... are you holding the button in(like you have to) as you make your adjustments,....the red button is so that if you bump any of the dials while you are detecting, your settings won't change by accident,... and you can just press the red button if the background noises get to loud as you go, and that quits it down again(does with my 5000d at any rate).
Just to test your words on the theory, it made no difference to me wether I held it or not. Just pulled $1.01 from my old birds farm with it

Are the batteries fresh AR,.... and do a bench test for it to set the disc to the appropriate level so you get a full noise for the targets you are seekingand also bench test for the rubbish so you know you are cutting it out too
(8 might still be slightly high). :)

Cheers for attempting to help silver, I can see your trying hard lol

Its more a hardware / electrical issue than user issue. I think either a capacitor is dying or transistor but I can't seem to find a straight answer when it comes to repairing a detector circuit board

8 is the setting of discriminate, sort of similar to the coinmaster where turning this knob controls what targets it will detect.

Anything below 4.5 will start to remove iron signals, 5-6 pull tabs and 20c coins, 6-8 $1, $2, 10c, 1 penny

I lay down on the ground a nail, a silver, a copper, a bottletop, 20c and a pulltab for testing

My big issue is, like the text sais, I set it to disc mode and the discriminator is broken. No signals, iron or coins, nothing. It was a 'fading' now dead stopped

I even tryed heaps with your info on holding the button to see if it make a difference but no luck there either, the same :(

I don't understand why no one else has had an issue similar. It could be as basic as the potentiometer just buggered but a suggestion would just save me some time of the troubleshooting

I have multimeters, oscilliscope, soldering iron and new components ready to go, but just a push in the right direction would help. I guess I'm 30 years too late to ask these questions for the old vlf's

Went for a wander through the Mill Market at Daylesford this morning .... nice looking White's detector for sale in 1 of the cabinets ... around $165 from memory, looks to be complete and in good condition considering its age. Not sure how good they were but might interest someone into things nostalgic (or spare parts).
Cheers T.

hi,
Seems a few coinmaster users about so hoping for a hand
I have two old coinmaster 6000's and a Sears re-brand ( I think it is similar to a 5900)
My drama is I have only one coil and it is need of repair, cracked casing and no top connector

Thought I'd have a go a rolling my own and wanted to check that I was on the right track aiming for 350uH & 6kHz , I've found various conflicting resistances and inductance a online hence here I am asking for guidance

Will be fixing up the original coil soon then can start to see if the units themselves are OK, can see a few bulgy caps in one that will need attention at least
Hoping to get them all back in working nick so coils are a needed thing

Thanks in advance

Best thing I can suggest is to keep your eyes open on gumtree for another coinmaster 6000d for under $100, if your lucky $50.
The circuits seem to have a few problems with cracking of solder and tracks. Pots / switches get pretty mangled too over the years

Thanks AR, pots will probably get a strip & clean, replaced from the stash if needed.
Was hoping someone had found some specs in their internet travels as the coils are epoxied within an inch of their lives so will make in situ readings a bit of a pain
Just looking to have a little fun and rescue these units from a life on the shelf in shed
@edit

Cleaning up the one coil I have and removed an old sticker/tape to find 4B so now believe the Sears is a rebranded 5000, problem is I also now know the coil is no good for the 6000's
Anyone know much about the 6b coils and how they differ from current 6.59 coils? Just pins or more involved?

im looking for a stem shaft for a 6000d if anyone has one for a new underwater metal detector project
1469287393_p1280006.jpg

1469287592_p9010110.jpg

Latest posts