⭐ Show Us Your Cut Stones - Before And After Photos

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We often see pictures of rough gemstones from members, but what about the ones that have been cut and made all sparkly?

If you've had a gemstone cut, feel free to share with us some before and after photos. And please don't forget to include a little info about the gemstone in your post.

Cheers,
Nugget

Good one Nugget was thinking exactly the same thing, one of my mates should have some Sapphires back from Lamberts in a week or 2, will post the pics then. I'm actually finding it hard to send any of mine off for cutting, I'd make a hopeless cattle farmer.

Interesting that no one here has had any stones cut, I would have thought we'd seen a few by now :|

1394280270_image.jpg

No before s but here some of mine :eek:

3 saphs to the left ,zircon,, not sure about the clear,saph and a garnet

I sent off the one (blue sapphire) I won at the Nundle PA trip to the guy in SA (Langford), just waiting on results. Have photos of the uncut, hopefully not too long to see the cut version. I was quoted around $90 to cut the stone but will wait to see how much. Was about 2 weeks ago, messaged me he had the stone but no new news.

Lamberts quoted I think $14.50US postage and $4.5US per carat final cut weight, so assume price would have been about $30bucks all up. Told me I should prob wait for a few more stones to make it viable....Liz advised anything over 5 carat best to get cut local. Uncut the stone was about 5.95carat told it would prob make between 1.8 and 2.2 finished.

Getting itchy for the results, will post before and after pics if everything goes to plan!

Peter

Heyya all, here are some of my stones, only photo of rough stone I have got is from my 2012 trip which is mainly zircon, peridot, topaz and some garnets....
1394330686_010.jpg

Next image is mainly cut Topaz, the largest is 23c with some inclusions the rest is fairly well eyeclean, couple of moonstone and smokies there as well....
1394330783_005.jpg

Next image is medium sized, these range from 1.5c to 3.6c and are Zircon, Topaz, 4 Fullerton river Garnet, 4 Harts range Garnet and Peridot....
1394330823_007.jpg

The 2 cabs I just finished and are Blue Kyanite from the Territory...
Cheers :)

Those stones are sweet. Would be interesting to know the difference in value before and after cutting as most of us wouldnt have a clue.

Before = 0(assuming you found it), after = Something. Lol....I believe a reasonable sapphire can command about $400+ cut per carat.

So say a 6 carat sapphire, cut to 2 carat may fetch $800+ retail. I guess if you were wholesaling it maybe half that price?

Ofcourse there are stones that fetch over 100k per carat but not so easy to pan or noodle one of those bad boys.

Im not sure if my pricing is correct someone else may be expert on the matter.

No good knowing retail, u want to know what you can sell them for, not set in a ring and retailed in a shop. The less valuable gems obviously less but not sure how much less.

Stonevalue, only worth as much as someone will pay for it I reckon. Zircon out at Gemtree in the field started as low as 30p/c cut and went as high as 150p/c cut. Thats all I know about it, but we dont do it for the money its all about being in the bush and having something to do isnt it?????I know i`d never break even :D

Cheers Varts & Trips, great pics and very inspiring, all look a million bucks to me!!

I need these sort of pics to get the wife interested! See honey...little rock I find can look like these other ones.

yes very nice looking Varts and tripz and thanks. :rolleyes: mrs will have the whip out watching me digging all day