SDC2300

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
* re-designed headphones,
* an armrest protector,
* rechargeable Lithium-ion battery,
* clip-on coil joint/knuckle protector.

Pretty much all just user mods from older models.
All offer some benefit:
- lithium battery is lighter, C cells were a bad choice to start with
- not sure about the headphones as I've never used them but they do appear better, longer cord too I think
- the others are for protection, knuckle protector is a good idea if you're a coil scrubber, can be purchased widely if you get an older one without one, armrest protector good for keeping it open

Hey I hear about the SDC being really good at finding tiny tiny nuggets. What's its performance on bigger stuff. Does anyone use it as theur weapon of choice for the bigger stuff?

1632008135_rps20201229_200456_crop_19.jpg

:lol:

Diggly said:
Hey I hear about the SDC being really good at finding tiny tiny nuggets. What's its performance on bigger stuff. Does anyone use it as theur weapon of choice for the bigger stuff?
Doubt anyone would use it as their weapon of choice for bigger gold?
Small gold is it's go & that's due to the MPF (Multi Period Fast) pulse induction. The nature of MPF is that it allows near instantaneous switch-off of the transmit signal allowing the receive signal to be processed faster - perfect for smaller gold. Normal MPS PI has a longer time to transmit switch-off so receive signal processing is delayed resulting in some smaller bits being missed. This is better for larger, deeper gold.

I do know though that the SDC is more than capable of pinging bigger gold that's within the range of both MPF & the 8" coil. Have personally seen bits of gold of 20 grams or bigger found with the SDC.
Biggest piece I've seen was 37 grams found in a creek bank. There were 2 other smaller bits above it though which maybe led to the hole being deep enough to pick that one up - bit hard to say without re-testing the piece in that ground again.
The others were picked up on their own but weren't overly deep. Another 30+ gram piece I've seen came out of a gully overhang. Dug out overhead - not sure how to measure that depth, from above or below. :lol:

mbasko, I know that small bits need faster switching and lower delay from switch off to receive to detect them as the eddy currents decay quicker in smalller bits, but does a lower delay actually reduce detectability of bigger bits in any way in the SDC or in general?

I am thinking to my TDI SL which has adjustable delay from 10us to 25us and small gold performance falls off noticeably above 12us but I didnt see any lower depth on big iron/alu at 10us vs 25us.

Well done Davent, you're on a roll there mate. Great little spot you've found, and I suspect it's more research and hard yards than luck :goldnugget: :clap:

Some of the bigger gold that I have found over the years did not need high tech as it was quite shallow. SDC would have found it, but I never liked the SDC and only used a borrowed one. Heavy and very poorly balanced. Never my detector of choice.

XLOOX said:
mbasko, I know that small bits need faster switching and lower delay from switch off to receive to detect them as the eddy currents decay quicker in smalller bits, but does a lower delay actually reduce detectability of bigger bits in any way in the SDC or in general?

I am thinking to my TDI SL which has adjustable delay from 10us to 25us and small gold performance falls off noticeably above 12us but I didnt see any lower depth on big iron/alu at 10us vs 25us.
If the big targets are shallow enough it shouldn't matter but the TDI Pro's discrimination generally works under that principle with the conductivity switch.
In theory the low delay of the TDI or quick shut off of the transmit in the SDC's MPF should mean that the transmit signal dissipates too quickly for deeper targets but I've definitely dug some deep fuggets with the SDC. Unfortunately none were of the golden variety.

I didnt find that bit, my mate did, we were prospecting the same area.

mbasko said:
Diggly said:
Doubt anyone would use it as their weapon of choice for bigger gold?
Small gold is it's go & that's due to the MPF (Multi Period Fast) pulse induction. The nature of MPF is that it allows near instantaneous switch-off of the transmit signal allowing the receive signal to be processed faster - perfect for smaller gold. Normal MPS PI has a longer time to transmit switch-off so receive signal processing is delayed resulting in some smaller bits being missed. This is better for larger, deeper gold.

I do know though that the SDC is more than capable of pinging bigger gold that's within the range of both MPF & the 8" coil. Have personally seen bits of gold of 20 grams or bigger found with the SDC.
Biggest piece I've seen was 37 grams found in a creek bank. There were 2 other smaller bits above it though which maybe led to the hole being deep enough to pick that one up - bit hard to say without re-testing the piece in that ground again.
The others were picked up on their own but weren't overly deep. Another 30+ gram piece I've seen came out of a gully overhang. Dug out overhead - not sure how to measure that depth, from above or below. :lol:

I read that an SDC with a Coiltek 11" will help with the bigger stuff, but I thought it would only find deeper??
You have done bloody well so far matey.

davent said:
The coil for the 84 grammar was 14x9 coiltek.
The SDC is the perfect beginner machine for those who can't fork out $8k plus.

Yep, I heard good things about the 14x9.
Thanks.

Excuse my ignorance but is the 14 x 9 coiltek Gold Extreme coil for the SDC in some way special?

That is does it have different inductance to most ML coils or unique cable connector or something?

I watched the video on the Coiltek site & looks to me like if I bought a Coiltek SDC Gold Extreme accessories pack then I could fit my 14x9 NF Evo to my SDC.

Can anyone who has done the Coiltek conversion advise.

Latest posts