The weight of a GPZ 7000 - what can you do?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just wondering if any geniuses have worked out how to lighten the core unit of the GPZ. I'm not talking change a coil or a lighter battery, but real world experimentation and inventiveness.

I've seen an SDC put inside some PVC pipe, and a few other adaptations of detectors - but has anyone had any success with the ZED?

Removing the battery and coil make it a beautiful weight but I don't find any gold without them.

Harness and hipstick are the only ways to eliviate the load that and after market coils.

Helium weather balloon was my idea but haven't tried it as its usually an area with trees I work at.

I think I read somewhere here that the 3030 battery fits and reduces the weight. Then just fit the NF coil and that might do the trick. For me I'm more interested in the GPX6000.

Moneybox said:
I think I read somewhere here that the 3030 battery fits and reduces the weight. Then just fit the NF coil and that might do the trick. For me I'm more interested in the GPX6000.

Yep, coil and battery do make a difference. Be nice to shed some more though. It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have health issues :( :gemstone:

I swung the NF12 today, made a bit of a difference, I didnt find any gold though!

davent said:
I swung the NF12 today, made a bit of a difference, I didnt find any gold though!

That's a great coil, but low and slow becomes even more important. We have a NF 12, lighter than the original 14!

Hi A team,
had the same problem
i pulled the harness, bungee cord and old man stick out that came with the zed over the weekend. swallowed my pride and
spent 3 hours getting the dam harness to fit my body shape, played around with the bungee cord in different positions, then spent
4 hours detecting the next day.
such a difference. almost weightless

A number of my friends in the SE of SA have a type of crane, AL strip ( or steel?) riveted to their harness at the belt and shoulder strap, goes above their shoulder to from memory about 6 inches out then a Bungee cord to the Z. ( as you can read I have not paid close attention to the setup) Weight of the Z on their hips not back.

Me, I use the hip stick and swing arm with the NF Coil or a 10" x coil and after a number of days Voltaren on my back, and a month prior to the trip, sit up exercises to strengthen my back muscles

From the early days with the SD2100 +18"coil through to the GPZ7000 with the 14" coil can detect for the hours between breakfast, lunch and tea with out any groans.
Now 75yo and with the bungee connected in the correct position on the stem of the 7000 never whine about the the weight.
Balanced correctly you can actually remove your arm from the rest and swing by just pushing the box from side to side.

**Have seen many using the bungee connected just above the coil, others just below the control box no wonder they are blaming the weight?**

PeterInSa said:
A number of my friends in the SE of SA have a type of crane, AL strip ( or steel?) riveted to their harness at the belt and shoulder strap, goes above their shoulder to from memory about 6 inches out then a Bungee cord to the Z. ( as you can read I have not paid close attention to the setup) Weight of the Z on their hips not back.

Me, I use the hip stick and swing arm with the NF Coil or a 10" x coil and after a number of days Voltaren on my back, and a month prior to the trip, sit up exercises to strengthen my back muscles

This type of harness is designed and sold by The Prospectors Pick in Bunbury WA. Mrs M has been using it for the last few years and is happy with it. I tried it early on but I was too skinny so it wouldn't fit. They may have changed them since then to fit a smaller waist.

My first year with the zed.
Struggled with the weight, ergonomics of the beast.
Finally got a new back pack that I carry all my other stuff in, like water etc. It has a d ring pretty high on the shoulder strap. I hook the bungy to that and it makes a huge difference. I have had pretty bad tennis elbow for months now, and I detected all day Sunday with no problems. Hook the bungy on the same side as gripping arm.

I carry my pick on my back, using the item below fitted to the Y section at the back of the Z harness. It seems to counterbalance the detector weight on the front.

Have found that the Z harness is not as strong (stitching wise, harness is 5 years old) as the 4500 harness, as when I was putting it on with one arm/shoulder into the harness, I stretched the loop to put my left arm/shoulder in and the stitching came apart at the Y section ( did not have the pick in situ). I have 2, 4500 harness's....... at home did the rest of the interstate trip using a mates spare 4500 harness.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/toughbuilt-modular-hammer-loop_p5820995

Also have a tab sewn in each side of the harness above the plastic D loops to hold the WM12 on on side and a CB on the other.

davent said:
My first year with the zed.
Struggled with the weight, ergonomics of the beast.
Finally got a new back pack that I carry all my other stuff in, like water etc. It has a d ring pretty high on the shoulder strap. I hook the bungy to that and it makes a huge difference. I have had pretty bad tennis elbow for months now, and I detected all day Sunday with no problems. Hook the bungy on the same side as gripping arm.
Dave,
Try using the bungee hooked to the spreader bar, the weight is shared by both shoulders and less abnormal strain on your spine.
Also with bungee connected at balance point (earlier post) there is less strain on arm.

1629848809_20210825_094458.jpg

Clip the 7000 to the Minelab attachment above :playful: