Boosters (Guitar Amp)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just wondering who use a guitar amp for a booster? I have trolled through old posts and seen a few.
Also if you do use one what model amp do you use?

I used to have some cheap $20 mini guitar amps LH-380. Can get them on eBay etc. pretty easily.
They were ok but quality between units could vary & build quality not great.
Plenty of volume, inbuilt speaker, used 9v batteries, cheap enough to have a couple for backup.
There'd possibly be a couple still using them on here but I haven't used one for a few years.

I think Angermanagement may have tried some different types out?

Always wondered how the more expensive ones would go but never tried one.

mbasko said:
I used to have some cheap $20 mini guitar amps LH-380. Can get them on eBay etc. pretty easily.
They were ok but quality between units could vary & build quality not great.
Plenty of volume, inbuilt speaker, used 9v batteries, cheap enough to have a couple for backup.
There'd possibly be a couple still using them on here but I haven't used one for a few years.

I think Angermanagement may have tried some different types out?

Always wondered how the more expensive ones would go but never tried one.

i did see some post where people had the LH-380 3w but the current ebay ones seem to be 1.5w

My unit doesnt have any bump sensitivity but it does amplify a high pitched note on both detectors that is normally at an inaudible level.

The note is generated by the detectors not the amp though since in both cases it drops a lot when coil is v close to ground and gets louder as coil is lifted away.

I could see how some people would hate the droning but for me it works as a subconcious control over coil height

yeah I use a Rowland acoustic amp, I use a bit of reverb and just a touch of distortion... I find it accompanies the gold dance very well :lol:

Unless you've a hearing issue then an amp won't help much, you really need something that acts like a squelsh & highlights the threshold has broken, whereas an amp will boost the threshold warble and everything else

BigL said:
yeah I use a Rowland acoustic amp, I use a bit of reverb and just a touch of distortion... I find it accompanies the gold dance very well :lol:

Unless you've a hearing issue then an amp won't help much, you really need something that acts like a squelsh & highlights the threshold has broken, whereas an amp will boost the threshold warble and everything else

I am after a amp to boost the speaker headphones are fine but can barely hear a speaker when plugged in.

1629778636_screenshot_20210824-141544_chrome.jpg

From memory it has audio compression ]:D
1629778764_20210824_141336.jpg

E.g...
If you were a deep low target frequency addict you can set a filter to cut all the high end and amplify the low end IF you wanted to lol

I take advantage of the sP01's adjustable volume knob (the booster part of it) & the GPX's volume limit to do some faux-compression.

I set my threshold to be just barely audible, then set the volume limit pretty low (7 IIRC), and turn the sP01's volume up to the point where an overload signal doesn't blow my ears off.

The result is that those usual super faint targets are still loud enough to not miss, but also I don't lose any hearing when I hit a piece of surface junk.

This is basically a very crude gain compression.

I also use some deep-insertion in-ear monitors for my headphones (etymotic brand, the cheapest ones will do fine), they do an exceptional job at negating all outside noise, on par with active noise canceling headphones.

Highly recommend trying this kind of setup.

BrokeInBendigo said:
I take advantage of the sP01's adjustable volume knob (the booster part of it) & the GPX's volume limit to do some faux-compression.

I set my threshold to be just barely audible, then set the volume limit pretty low (7 IIRC), and turn the sP01's volume up to the point where an overload signal doesn't blow my ears off.

The result is that those usual super faint targets are still loud enough to not miss, but also I don't lose any hearing when I hit a piece of surface junk.

This is basically a very crude gain compression.

I also use some deep-insertion in-ear monitors for my headphones (etymotic brand, the cheapest ones will do fine), they do an exceptional job at negating all outside noise, on par with active noise canceling headphones.

Highly recommend trying this kind of setup.
Your onto it :Y:

Just to clarify I have no hearing issues I usually have headphones on but when the kids are out with me prefer a speaker but the volume is really low on external speaker.

I run JBL blue tooth speaker when I use a speaker last all day on a charge I dont use the blue tooth I just plug it into spo1 on my sdc2300 works a treat very loud if you want it loud got it from JB Hi Fi $60 a couple of years ago cheers Muk.
1630183815_42558657-5065-4cec-875a-e222d57a99a9.jpg

thanks for the the inpust everyone will try my x50 speaker when i am out next have also just order a cheap booster to try.