❓Your Mineral Identification Questions answered here

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jimnyjerry said:
bottom picture are of zircons

Thanks, Jimnyjerry. I thought they may have been. :Y:

I did try a SG test on the pink looking ones, but the scales I have aren't very good quality, as I got mixed results(plus I'm a noob) but the average result was 1.67?? I don't believe that is an accurate result as they are also quite small.
Also had mixed results with the zircons, but the average result was 5. :(
Going to need better quality scales.
Thanks for the help.

Pat Hogen said:
The larger stone in the bottom pic looks like a decent size cutter. What is the weight of it, curious?
Hey Pat, my scales say it's 2.05 ct, or .42 grams. Is that an OK size?? Sorry, I'm only new to this. :)

If a 2.5 ct stone is faceted it will likely end up in the .5 - .8 ct area; it would be far better to cabochon it using the natural apex to get light return and a larger stone for that lady of yours. :|

Pat Hogen said:
If a 2.5 ct stone is faceted it will likely end up in the .5 - .8 ct area; it would be far better to cabochon it using the natural apex to get light return and a larger stone for that lady of yours. :|

Sounds like a better way of polishing it up! Surely rack up some browie points for that ;) the question is, what will I spend those points on :goldnugget: :goldpan:

Hi All,

Just unearthed a pitted quartz like stone. Against the light, milky white with some transparency.
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
1628251865_73fe8ab8-2d4f-4247-a7ae-0c8c092f9c72.jpg

Good Afternoon,

First post on the site outside of an introduction post.

Found this a while back and would be stoked for an opinion on its makeup. I haven't scratch tested yet and it is quite heavy for its size.

My assumption is quartz with some iron components adding to the weight.

Thanks in advance..
1628313963_img_20210807_152444.jpg

Latest posts