What To Look For On The Goldfields (New To Prospecting)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow this is some epic info thanks heaps much appreciated
wouldn't have anything similar regarding gemstones? if so id love to see/hear it
thanks again :eek: :D

This is one awesome post, probably the best one for every newbie to start with. I have been bitten buy the gold bug, after a mate of mine showed me his 3oz nugget from Meekathara. Cheers again!

Thanks to Loamer, and all who shared their knowledge.
I've read this thread prior to going out, looked for some of the concepts, and so far have only found via panning a few spots in Creeks, but it's out there, waiting for me. ? :goldpan:

Just another comment in appreciation of Loamer's efforts!

As a newbie I've spent a bit of time detecting old prospects, and appreciate the photos and detailed explanations of the old workings.

Now I just need to work out how to put it all together and see some success :)

echidnadigger said:
My memory of puddlers is a little vague now days but if memory serves me I am pretty sure cyanide was used in the process to break up the clay. If this was the case then it stands to reason that cyanide may still be present at some level in close proximity to the old puddlers. If there is an imminent threat to a prospectors health and well being then I would also say stay well clear of working the ground around and down hill from any puddler. I also believe in protecting the heritage of these areas and dont want to give anyone a reason to exclude us from these areas, because of the act of digging around them. If someone could elaborate on the facts of the operation of puddlers I would like to hear from you. Thanks

I am not aware of cyanide use being usual in puddlers - puddlers were designed to mechanically get sticky clay into suspension in water so as to free up contained gold. Also cyanide is a carbon and nitrogen compound that rapidly decomposes in contact with oxygen in the atmosphere (certainly all gone within decades if not years).The only place where some toxicity might remain after all this time is in crushed quartz from mineralized veins (quartz sand tailins), where the cyanide has reacted with metals to leave metal cyanide residues (the original cyanide will have gone). But not a likely source of harm even then, but I would not have my kids use it as a sandpit.

Yes, please leave puddlers and other mining relics alone. Just photos.

Latest posts