Hi from the VIC western goldfields

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all! Newbie prospector here. I'm in the process of moving to the western goldfields and prospecting looked like a great hobby out here, so I've jumped in!

I've been out panning three times. The first trip in Illawarra State Forest was a total bust - marked on Geovic and Google Maps as a set of creeks but was bone dry in the height of winter! Very interesting spot though, heaps of old workings and camps. Second trip was St Arnaud, had a heck of a time finding an accessible section to pan and tried my hand in a trickle, didn't get anything. Yesterday was my third trip, Pyrenees State Forest, what an absolutely beautiful spot. Found my first color a couple hours before lockdown 6 was announced, just a speck but it was a magic moment after repeatedly mistaking what I think was mica for gold! Absolutely gutted that I can't go out this weekend, especially considering there is zero risk of catching or transmitting a virus by yourself in the middle of an empty forest :)

Safe to say I'm addicted. It feels like fishing but more interesting, and with gold instead of those pesky fish! Considering buying a 4WD so I can get to more of the forests, this is actually the most time I've spent in Vic's "outback" and just realising how much beauty I've been missing out on! Plus I can't wait to find my first picker!

Thanks Jaros! I've been lurking here for a while and picked up some useful tips, it's a great forum!

Latest posts