SDC2300 batteries 12v damage?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys I'm looking at buying an sd2300 , I was told by the seller he had accidentally put the 12volt charger on , he smelt something odd now there is no signal, can anyone share any light on this for me

Hi JohnnyGold,

So he applied 12v to the actual detector? Or was it just the battery?
Has he tried new/different batteries?

If it was applied to the actual detector it may or may not be economically repairable. I'm not sure how one would smell smoke though as the detector itself is waterproof.

As far as repairing it yourself if it is the detector, unless you have a lot of electronics experience, it probably would not be feasible.

Cheers Mick

Hi mate , to trouble shoot this problem, should I ask him what part of the device he could smell smoke from? As far as I can tell he has accidentally plugged a 12 volt charger into a 6 volt battery, could it be as simple as him just frying the battery rather that damaging the core electronics of the sd

Yeah, that sounds more likely to me.
I think the newer SDC comes with a rechargeable li-ion pack, so perhaps it was this? If so then the detector itself should be fine. It should still work from C cells to test the detector out.

Cheers Mick

Are you talking about an SDC 2300, or an old SD unit (eg. SD 2109, SD 2000??

Because no such model as SD 2300... just trying to clarify.

When you mention 12V charger and 6V battery, it makes me think of an older SD unit.

TYPO - I meant SD 2100 (not SD 2109) .

Is the detector a SD 2000, SD 2100, SD 2200D or SDC 2300?

Latest posts