Minelab GPX6000 release, general information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave79, Im hearing what youre saying and I can only speak to what Ive seen and done with the detectors Ive used and now the GPX6.

I love it. Absolutely love it. Finding gold in spots that had been flogged but I must say they are not the greatest gold spots. Lots of small speccies, etc.

I do wonder if your mates 6000 is faulty? It is certainly surprising if it has found no gold on ground an SDC and 4500 have been over. Is it finding any targets at all?

I havent watched the videos posted here, there and everywhere - too many agendas or people who have got no idea. Ive got no agenda, but maybe no idea either :lol: ;)

mbasko said:
Dave79 said:
I personally don't care about value of gold found so I'm more than happy stuffing around with my SDC while walking my dogs but for my mate it's his retirement funding. He's currently up to 18oz with his 4500 and evos and about 3oz cleaning out spots with a SDC.....
If he's found gold himself why does he need you to take him to spots?

Sounds to me like he purchased the 6000 thinking it would put gold back in the ground where he's already found it? Maybe he needs to research new areas & then he might find he can leave both the SDC & 4500 in the car. It will mostly match the 4500 & just leaves the SDC in it's dust, no contest there. If you've got a 6000 the SDC is redundant & other GPX's are mostly matched. Larger coil selection is the exception at the moment.

I'd still like to see someone that is successfully using a 6000 go over his old spots to see what he's left behind. Be interesting because it sounds to me he just hasn't accepted or got his head around the 6000 at all. Likely be mainly smaller stuff at depth on previously 4500 detected ground? New machine regret & struggling to move on from previous successful machines. That's understandable. A lot of people don't adapt easily or quickly or deep down even want to. He might be better sticking to the old & sell the new while it's still worth close to new price?

Also where are all these "sponsored" reviews you keep posting about. Apart from threads like this there's not a lot of info about.
Are you accusing people here of being "sponsored" to comment? Or is every positive comment to be seen as "sponsored" + false & everything negative as gospel?
I think we get you don't like the 6000 so why not leave the discussion to those who own & use one rather than try to discredit anything positive they might have to say about it through the innuendo that they are being sponsored. :N:
1. It doesn't seem to match the 4500 with a big coil or the 7000 for depth on bigger nuggets.
2. The SDC gets smaller specimens and porous gold that do not even register when rubbed on the rim of the 6000 coil(the most sensitive spot)
3. He's wasting a lot of time chasing deep birdshot and rust flakes when he could be covering ground looking for decent bits.
4. If you're not "sponsored " by minelab by now you certainly should be complaining loudly, you've been spruiking their products since your second post back in 2015 ;) :Y: :N: :power: :fistpump: :clap: :perfect:

Oh, we were only going to my hammered spots as a test for the 6000 , turns out I'm quite the expert cos all we turned up was a couple of deep shotty pellets and quite a few hot rocks that I didn't have the skills to find!

Dave79 said:
1. It doesn't seem to match the 4500 with a big coil or the 7000 for depth on bigger nuggets.
2. The SDC gets smaller specimens and porous gold that do not even register when rubbed on the rim of the 6000 coil(the most sensitive spot)
3. He's wasting a lot of time chasing deep birdshot and rust flakes when he could be covering ground looking for decent bits.
4. If you're not "sponsored " by minelab by now you certainly should be complaining loudly, you've been spruiking their products since your second post back in 2015 ;) :Y: :N: :power: :fistpump: :clap: :perfect:
1. Never said it did in fact I said larger coil selection on the older GPX's was the exception.
The Zed wasn't mentioned but I guess if it suits your purpose use it.....
2. I think his 6000 is broken. Not only does mine pick up SDC sized gold, or possibly smaller, it picks it up at annoying depths that are out of the SDC's reach. I've owned 2 x SDC's since they were released (finding ounces with both) & used several others. I think I'm experienced enough with them to know what they can/can't do & make comment in comparison.
3. That there is possibly the silliest comment in regards to using a very sensitive detector I've ever seen. Congratulations you win :playful:
4. 2015 is that all :lol: Must've been the second time I joined up. I praise any good equipment I've used & also put up any negatives as most people here would know. Another silly comment based on your own skewed assumptions.
By your reckoning I should also be sponsored by QED, Fisher, Whites, Goldrat, Ron's Picks & several other prospecting brands having given them positive comments too. :rolleyes:
Your second post here in 2018 also praised Minelab (Equinox 800). Get any kickbacks? :lol:
Unfortunately the rest have just dribbled downhill ever since :cloudy: :lol: :Y:

Absolutely, must be faulty, incompetent and definitely not dumbing its self down in response to the ground conditions like most auto GB machines.
Yep, the equinox was a game changer for coin and relic detecting but I reckon minelab have learnt from that mistake, why would you release one detector that will clean the spots out when you can sell people 3 different new releases that all find different targets in the same spots.

Dave79 it's not going to pull more gold in all areas,my wife said to me the oday i should take it to a such and such a spot for a day,this area wasn't ya normal wa ground so to speak,lumpy,well worn very scattered bits that came from an old creek pushed up on a ridge line i think,i said to her it won't go any good out there really,i wouldn't bother,so far all our other spots it's has pulled a lot more smaller bits that's added up to oz's,if you were with us the last month and seen the ease that it pings course gold near a source you'd be just as surprised as us,there's no way as mbasko says that it's going to start pulling big stuff deep when areas have been done with gpx's and zeds,that golds gone,even when the 17 comes out i don't think that will change but the odd good specy might pop up deeper that wouldn't surprise me,it seems to sniff them at good depths now.
I didn't have a look at them utube videos,ive seen a few over time and they are a rough guide at best,why blokes spend up to $10,000 on a gold detector then stand around a test patch poking lead bits or gold into holes is beyond me.
No 2 nuggets ever found have been identical or sitting in the dirt at the same orientation
Type of gold? huge variations again
Ground type and mineralisation,huge variations again,that's endless
Weather,cold or hot,wet or dry ground?
Operators different settings well that's endless again
Theres to many variables in prospecting to make firm assumptions from a test bed compared to real time on the ground,that's why there's allways different opinions on performance and results,if all gold nuggets were the same,let's say there all identical to 22 bullets at 12" sitting at the same orientation in the ground then ya test beds may tell ya something,well that's not reality.
It's not that far off for the 17 mono is what i've heard and i think this 6 then by far will be the best all round machine on offer,it's got me a bit keen again i know that,and it's paid it's way quick smart for us,ya can't ask for much more then that...

With all the banter being thrown about I think it is still far too early to call whether the 6000 is worth the price tag or not, yes for weight savings and ease of use alone it is for me, but we haven't had much of a chance to try it out properly in good conditions here in Vic, with lockdowns and very wet ground conditions it's proved challenging to get out swinging, I've still been detecting as long as it's not raining and although the ground in Vic triangle is saturated the 11" coil is still handling it pretty well and finding targets, it's been a good time to learn how to pick ground noise from a genuine target response which will really help when the grounds dry out.
When the 17" mono coil eventually gets released here in Aus and we get some good conditions to put hours on the 6000, only then will we know if it is worth the price tag or not. I recall the same debates happening when the 7000 was released and now the consensus is it is the king of gold detectors.
In W.A. it seems the 6000 is doing well so far, in the wet grounds of Vic I'm impressed so far compared to my 4500/evo set-up for past few Winters but come Summer with the 17" mono and some good hours behind it, we can get a better all round picture of how well the 6000 performs all over Australia.

Hi Andy, the last couple of Winters when I used to head out for a detect I found that when I was swinging over really wet saturated ground it was a lot noisier than the 6000 is, probably the settings I was running on my 4500 at the time, but I would spend a lot of time fiddling with my settings trying to get it stable enough to run on that saturated ground so I'd just walk away and look for ground higher up that wasn't so wet.
The 6000 is still noisy over the saturated ground in highly mineralised areas, Maryborough and Bendigo for example but I'm finding it easier to decipher the difference between ground and target response.
Last Thursday afternoon I spent 3 hours detecting a couple of km's from the NGH camp area, Tuesday I was in the Whipsticks after work, able to run no problems and you local guys know how saturated the grounds are.

That's just my experience so far and maybe it's because I wasn't so good with my settings on the 4500, but the 6000 definitely handles the wet ground.

1627710629_20210731_154918.jpg

Took the 6000 out for its maiden journey yesterday. Went to a spot i have flogged over and over with both the 4500 and the 7000. The piece on the left i pulled off a mullock heap i have previously found 2 tiny bits of gold on with the zed. This tiny nugget came from almost a foot deep :eek: . Absolutely huge hole -I spent 10 minutes checking the spoils as I swore it had to be at least 3 grams. Was a clear signal from the top and only 30cm from where i had pulled the 2 tiddlers with the zed a year ago. Pretty sure this machines gunna be a winner :D

Nothing Great said:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/13217/1627710629_20210731_154918.jpg

Took the 6000 out for its maiden journey yesterday. Went to a spot i have flogged over and over with both the 4500 and the 7000. The piece on the left i pulled off a mullock heap i have previously found 2 tiny bits of gold on with the zed. This tiny nugget came from almost a foot deep :eek: . Absolutely huge hole -I spent 10 minutes checking the spoils as I swore it had to be at least 3 grams. Was a clear signal from the top and only 30cm from where i had pulled the 2 tiddlers with the zed a year ago. Pretty sure this machines gunna be a winner :D

Good job, needed a crane to pull those out I'll bet! :p

Now onto serious business.

So erm, how much did, you know...Codan sponsor you?

Please Dave dont kill me I only jest for jestings sake :playful: :)

mbasko said:
Dave79 said:
I personally don't care about value of gold found so I'm more than happy stuffing around with my SDC while walking my dogs but for my mate it's his retirement funding. He's currently up to 18oz with his 4500 and evos and about 3oz cleaning out spots with a SDC.....
If he's found gold himself why does he need you to take him to spots?

Sounds to me like he purchased the 6000 thinking it would put gold back in the ground where he's already found it? Maybe he needs to research new areas & then he might find he can leave both the SDC & 4500 in the car. It will mostly match the 4500 & just leaves the SDC in it's dust, no contest there. If you've got a 6000 the SDC is redundant & other GPX's are mostly matched. Larger coil selection is the exception at the moment.

I'd still like to see someone that is successfully using a 6000 go over his old spots to see what he's left behind. Be interesting because it sounds to me he just hasn't accepted or got his head around the 6000 at all. Likely be mainly smaller stuff at depth on previously 4500 detected ground? New machine regret & struggling to move on from previous successful machines. That's understandable. A lot of people don't adapt easily or quickly or deep down even want to. He might be better sticking to the old & sell the new while it's still worth close to new price?

Also where are all these "sponsored" reviews you keep posting about. Apart from threads like this there's not a lot of info about.
Are you accusing people here of being "sponsored" to comment? Or is every positive comment to be seen as "sponsored" + false & everything negative as gospel?
I think we get you don't like the 6000 so why not leave the discussion to those who own & use one rather than try to discredit anything positive they might have to say about it through the innuendo that they are being sponsored. :N:

Not sure I totally agree with the statement that the SDC would be redundant when you got the 6, mb. I still take the SDC when I go hiking since it folds in my backpack and completely fits in, without a coil sticking out. It is also more rugged and can take beatings any time in rough terrain, whereas the 6000 is more fragile (just compare the shafts). For highly mineralized small washes with shallow gold the SDC is still my to go machine, and the small 8 inch mono is just perfect for that. So, I view the SDC as a more specialized machine for specific circumstances and it continues to serve me very well in these scenarios. I use it with SP01 which is a killer combo. The SDC is just such a different design concept compared to the 6000 that I am not sure if both machines should even be compared. Just my 2 c.

The SDC is a great machine, no argument there.
More speaking from the point of view of having a couple or a few detectors or one that will mostly cover a lot of scenarios.
I do stand by my comments re: performance though. The 6000 will easily outperform a SDC especially for depth.
I don't think the 6000 is more fragile though? Seems plenty tough enough to me? Lighter doesn't always mean fragile?
And the 6000 packs down very small?
Plenty of known issues with the SDC shaft & other things too so it's all relative.
The SDC is also heavier & ergonomically "clunky".

Absolutely right, the 6000 is the best overall detector if you just had to choose one, especially with the three coils. The SDC has it's little niche (IMO), and the Zed remains the top performer for depth, at least so it seems. The 17 inch will be an interesting one. From such a big mono I would expect depth, but I heard that the 6/17 is still focused on faster timing gold, albeit with greater coverage. Regarding depth, the 6000 might be comparable to the 5000. But for faster timing gold the 6000 is the absolute king and the crisp signal response is unmatched by any other ML detector.

Latest posts